Players who peaked statistically in their rookie year

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I was looking at Michael Froliks stats and noticed that he set career highs in goals (21) and points (45) in his rookie year

This piqued my interest and I started thinking of other players who peaked statistically in their rookie year

I immediately thought of Joe Juneau, who scored 32 goals and 102 pts in his rookie year. He never cracked 20g or more than 85 pts ever again - and that was the next year. After that, his career high was 15 goals and 64 points and then he never hit 50 pts in a season.

Next, I thought of Marek Svatos. He posted 32g and 50pts in just 61 games as a rookie. He finished his career with 100 goals and 172 pts. Petr Prucha was similar - that very same year, he scored 30g and 47pts in 68 games as a rookie and some argued he was better than Crosby lol but then finished his career with 78 goals and 146pts.

On the defensive side, Barrett Jackman set a career high of +23 as a rookie. I know, +/- is a dumb stat but given that he won the Calder that year (over Zetterberg, iirc) I thought I would include him.

On the goalie end, Andrew Raycroft had a 2.05 GAA and a .926 SVP in 57 games as a rookie, and he also won the Calder. While he set a career high in wins with Toronto a few years later (37, vs 29 as a rookie), he did so in 72 games and with a 2.99 GAA and a .894 SVP.

Anyways, I thought it might be a fun discussion to have, where people could say what went wrong or what caused a player to have so much success. In the case of Frolik, it was a case of a physically-developed player getting prime opportunity - he has never been a bad player, and he is in fact a better player now than he was when he entered the league, but he kind of plateau'd offensively instead of developing into a top line player as folks might have expected when he first entered the league. Jackman was somewhat similar, in that sense. With Prucha and Svatos, they entered the league in a year where lots of players had career highs. And so on and so forth.

So, who are some other names who peaked statistically in their rookie years???

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Yak attack

Yak had his career high in goals (17) despite it being a lockout season

He had more points in 2014-2015 (33 vs 31) but he played more games (81 vs 48)

Magnus Paajarvi is another Oiler who had his best totals by far in his rookie year - 15g and 34pts as a 19 year old rookie and no more than 9g and 16pts in a year since then

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Teemu Selanne scored 76 goals his rookie season. He scored 52 in his second highest goalscoring season.

Good one, and 132 points. Cant believe I forgot about him

Tyler Myers

Another one I cant believe I forgot.. I was just talking about his rookie year with a friend maybe a week ago

Normally I would say Cody Hodgson, but that guy had a medical issue.

Hodgson actually had two years with more pts (including the lockout shortened year) and 1 year with more goals

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Steve Mason?

Nice one! He's fringe but still a good one. He beat his his career highs in GAA and SVP and tied his career highs in wins and games played!

I was just looking at Teemu. He played 84 games his first season?

84GP
76G
56A
132Pts

Expanded schedule due to (I think) league expansion. I know the league expanded that year with Ottawa and Tampa but not sure if thats why the schedule was extended

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Daigle also scored his career high in points and assists as a rookie. He tied his point record (51) twice and his assist record (31) once

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Frolik scored 45 points his rookie year, true, which was his best ever total. But he also had totals of 42, 38, 42, 42, 44 along with several major injuries, trades, and lockouts.

So yeah, technically he "peaked" in his rookie year - by 1 point - but also had numerous seasons that were virtually the exact same.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Frolik scored 45 points his rookie year, true, which was his best ever total. But he also had totals of 42, 38, 42, 42, 44 along with several major injuries, trades, and lockouts.

So yeah, technically he "peaked" in his rookie year - by 1 point - but also had numerous seasons that were virtually the exact same.

Yeah I kinda touch on that at the end of the post. He is a rare case of a guy who "peaked" offensively as a rookie but didn't peak as a player (which is why I found him surprising in the first place)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad