Players who have struggled with no fans

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Zack Kassian. I think players who play like Zack does when he is on - high energy crash and bang, hit anything that moves with the puck, knock 'em down, sort it out later type players - these types are the ones struggling so badly. Some players just feed off of the energy in a building. You can tell when you watch them. Even when fans were in the arena, if it was an off game and the crowd wasn't in it, chances are that Kassian wasn't a big difference maker that night either.

Reactions: majormajor

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
And both still louder than leafs games.

Agreed. Might also explain why the Leafs are doing so well. By pumping in crowd noise, they actually have fan engagement in the arena.

giphy.gif

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
My first thought also. He was on fire yesterday when they allowed fans back to PPG. Well, basically the whole team seemed completely different.
It’s because he was playing Guentzel and Rust finally, not some combination of Zucker/Kapanen/McCann.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Mantha is the worst player on our team right now. It’s hard to watch

His energy level is very up and down so I think no fans is impacting his level of play for sure

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
I for one miss the playoffs when we’d throw cans of beer and towels at these animals dancing for our entertainment

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
In the bubble at least, I think Kassian for sure had motivation issues without the fans.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
In theory all of these players who you argue are struggling this season because of a lack of a fans should normally be awesome at home and terrible on the road, right?

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
This is a good question, it helps explain why the Islanders and Panthers are doing well, they're used to playing in-front of no fans.
thats so original i forgot to laugh, despite the isles playing well both seasons under trotz

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
saying a player needs the crowd feels dumb, because i'd argue that should've been applied to the bubble as well.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
This is a good question, it helps explain why the Islanders and Panthers are doing well, they're used to playing in-front of no fans.

Every Leaf player is flourishing with no pressure, go figure. Keep your fingers crossed they allow no fans.

Fun facts: The Leafs have not won a Stanley Cup since 1967 with fans in attendance. Also, I don't think they won with a color TV broadcast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuck Norris Trophy

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think it's really likely it's affecting Malkin. I think he's said as much, but even if he hasn't, he's always been a guy whose best performances come on nights with a ton of emotional energy, which the crowd does provide.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Struggling because "there are no fans" sounds like a big fat f***ing excuse to me. :laugh:

I don’t think it is an excuse. I think it feels like a scrimmage to a lot of players. It seems like all of our Habs games have the crowd noises turned to a minimum, and there are times where the away team scores where it just sounds like a morgue. I imagine its much tougher for professionals to get the juices going or any momentum in that kind of atmosphere.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
My Leafs have been playing the best hockey since 1967. As a Leafs fan I'm totally fine with no fans ever again during games. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad