Players who have struggled with no fans

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
For Boston, Jake DeBrusk really struggled in the RTP and this season. He is always at his best playing with high energy and you could argue that he has had a tough time tapping into that energy without fans around.

Are there other players around the league where this theory could make sense?

Reactions: DickSmehlik

HP00

Oct 27, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I was coming to say this... Some of the topics posted on the main board are pure nonsense. This might take the cake.
I don't think so, I think it's a valid question but just not very quantifiable. There's no stat, right now, that could suggest that player A does better with a certain amount of fans. By the end of this pandemic, however, we actually might have enough data to make such an argument with only a fraction of teams having fans.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I assume it affects every player in the league at varying levels. I remember Lebron last year saying he'd refuse to play without fans. It's more than winning and money to these guys. No little kid says they want to be in the NHL because of the money or their desire to win.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Many people play rec league and HS with few fans in the stands. Even some college games are not in front of many fans. They also play in the offseason for fun in rinks with little fans. I know of a current star defensemen that came down to play in my former beer league just a few months ago. I do not want to say his name because I do not want to get him in trouble.

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
This is a good question, it helps explain why the Islanders and Panthers are doing well, they're used to playing in-front of no fans.
Yeah really sucks for the leafs to not have fans because when they had fans in the playoffs it was such a boost to them. They always do so well. Oh wait. Nice joke man, I’m sure you’re the life of parties mega man.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
This is a good question, it helps explain why the Islanders and Panthers are doing well, they're used to playing in-front of no fans.
Turns out the Leafs do pretty well when they aren't being silently gawked at by dickweeds in suits in the lower bowl. Now they only have to worry about the ones in the executive suite.

Reactions: ScaryCarey31

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I don't think this is the type of struggling I think OP is looking for, but in his one game in front of home fans, Reavo has been more energetic than I've seen him all year. It's clear over the years that he like to entertain the fans, just look at his gestures toward the stands after every home fight.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Yeah really sucks for the leafs to not have fans because when they had fans in the playoffs it was such a boost to them. They always do so well. Oh wait. Nice joke man, I’m sure you’re the life of parties mega man.
Nice joke man, I’m sure you’re the life of parties mega man.

Man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->