Players who deserve their numbers to be raised up to the rafters

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Not talking HOF here, your standards are pretty high. MAF def deserves to be in the rafters.

There are a ton of guys playing right now who are well on their way to having their jerseys retired. Just for the Caps alone, Holtby, Backstrom, Ovechkin, probably Carlson.
As a caps fan, no way Carlson or Holtby should have their numbers retired...

Holtby has hid 3 years of being a top 3 goalie in the league, the last 2 years he hasn't been close to top 5 (regardless of playoffs), and he's already 29.

Carlson took until 27 years old to become a top D-man in the league, so I don't think he will have a long enough stint as a top d-man.

Reactions: Dache

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The Sedins will be (deservedly) go up next year.

After that, probably no one for a long, long, time for the Canucks.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Lemieux owns the Pens now, right? Would it be in bad taste for him to retire his old number?

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
94 for Edmonton would be interesting. Considering the crap they've put on the banners they've hung up there recently, it'd be nice to see a player number go up for a change.

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
If Mikko Koivu has his entire career with the Wild, I think they'll retire his number. I don't know how others would feel about him being the first real number retired for the Wild, but I think it happens.
I must state preamble that I HATE the concept of retiring numbers. Especially numbers between 1 and 19.

That said, I don't like this idea of retiring his number at all!! I hope like hell they don't do it! Koivu is a good, decent player, but he's not an all-time great. Retiring his number would just set the bar lower than it already is. Besides, number 9 is retired in way too many teams as it is. Unless a player is a modern-day Gretzky, I don't want number 9 retired anywhere again. In fact, the only single digit number deserving of being retired right now is Ovechkin.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Tavares with NYI. He was a saint for putting up with so little, while taking a sweetheart contract in his prime.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Tavares with NYI. He was a saint for putting up with so little, while taking a sweetheart contract in his prime.
Nah, retire Butchie's # 91 because unlike Captain Pajamas he actually won stuff (and in fact he was the key final piece in what can be said to be the greates team ever).

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
As a caps fan, no way Carlson or Holtby should have their numbers retired...

Holtby has hid 3 years of being a top 3 goalie in the league, the last 2 years he hasn't been close to top 5 (regardless of playoffs), and he's already 29.

Carlson took until 27 years old to become a top D-man in the league, so I don't think he will have a long enough stint as a top d-man.

Maybe, maybe not on Holtby, but Carlson is 100 points away from being the Capitals all-time leader in points by a defensemen. He has a Cup and will likely play 17 seasons with the Capitals. He seems like a lock.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
For the Sabres I think there is a good chance Miller's #30 gets retired as the "representative" of our greatest teams ever from 2005-2011. Him being the winningest American goalie ever certainly doesn't hurt.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
For Hawks

2 + 19 + 88 are pretty much guaranteed locks to hang from rafters
50 + 81 = Possible but various factors will come into play

7 if it hangs should be solo for Seabrook but sadly I expect Hawks will one day pull a BS Chelios/Seabrook retirement

Reactions: sharkhawk

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
For Hawks

2 + 19 + 88 are pretty much guaranteed locks to hang from rafters
50 + 81 = Possible but various factors will come into play

7 if it hangs should be solo for Seabrook but sadly I expect Hawks will one day pull a BS Chelios/Seabrook retirement
Steve Larmer #28

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
For the Pens - Obviously you have Lemieux & Briere's numbers up there 66 & 21, but 68 should be up there whenever Jagr gives up trying to play forever and retires.

After that it's obvious - 71, 87, and I would even be ok with 29 up there (even if fans want to whine about him, he endured a ton and over came a lot of stupidity that this team threw his way as well as his own).

Maybe we should "Bourque it" and retire 81 as well.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If Mikko Koivu has his entire career with the Wild, I think they'll retire his number. I don't know how others would feel about him being the first real number retired for the Wild, but I think it happens.
I agree he will gets his retired. Just goes to show the level of mediocricy Minnesota has had in its near 20 year tenure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad