Players who are best in the NHL in certain skillsets?

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Stealing the puck is Mark Stone by a mile.

I know stone was first but wasn't Matthews close to him for pucks stolen this year?

I could be wrong but I think I heard someone say he was second in the league for take aways

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Which D would you say has the best slapshot while walking the blueline? Saw a pretty cool vid of Aaron Ekblad talking about how he works on this facet of his game a lot, as all D in the NHL probably do. Burnsie, Doughty and Karlsson are also amazing at it.

Also does Colton Parakyo display just amazing patience, calmness, skill and IQ when he has the puck on his stick anywhere and everywhere on the ice? I don't think I've ever seen a Dman, especially one that's around 6'5 and only 23-24, stickhandle around guys with such ease. He even does it with confidence around his net. Does he ever look like a sure-fire future top 10-top 5 dman in the league or is it just me?

Like was his goal vs Nashville just amazing or what? I dont think there's another dman in the NHL who wouldn't have immediately taken a clapper when the puck came to him there, especially one with a shot like Parakyo's.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
Crosby's​ list

Best backhand shot
Best at puck protection
Best hand/eye coordination
Best at receiving passes in his skates
Best at receiving bad passes in general.
Best at redirecting the puck
Quickest release(if not, it's up there)
One of the best passers
One of the best goal scorers

The list is probably longer but I did this quick

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Who's the best saucer passer?
Who's the best at recieving a pass in their skates and then moving that onto their stick?
Quickest release?
Best wrist-shot? Best snap-shot?
Best poke check?
Best at stick lifting and stealing the puck?
Best tipper?

Can also include most accurate shooter, best stick handler, BUT I encourage everyone to get creative so we can really appreciate the uniqueness that every NHL player brings to the league.

I'll nominate Silfverberg for quick release and Mark Stone for stealing the puck.

Can we add another category? Best forward at skating backwards.
How about the best time-wasting penalty killer? Maybe Marleau a few years ago.
What about best at screening the goalie?
Best skater over 6'3?

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Gaudreau has to be up there in best passing and best dangles.

His stick handling success rate dropped this year but his passing was still incredible.

I don't know who else might be better. I'm sure there are some contenders but he's up there. Guy has eyes in the back of his head.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
I know stone was first but wasn't Matthews close to him for pucks stolen this year?

I could be wrong but I think I heard someone say he was second in the league for take aways

Matthews was 4th, but 2nd in "takeways per 60 minutes". Stone was 20 takeaways ahead of the nearest player with 10 less games played. He was also 51 ahead of the nearest player in 2015-16 and he tied for first with ROR in 2014-15. He has that particular category in the bag.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Everyone in this thread:
My player has the best shot in the league.

Can't all be true :laugh:

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
I can confidently say no Flame has the best shot in the league :P

Unless we're counting blasting it in the defenders shins or at goalies logo. Then our entire Defensive core should come on up and claim their prize.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I'll nominate Silfverberg for quick release and Mark Stone for stealing the puck.

Can we add another category? Best forward at skating backwards.
How about the best time-wasting penalty killer? Maybe Marleau a few years ago.
What about best at screening the goalie?
Best skater over 6'3?

Well best defenseman at skating backwards is Radko Gudas. He is probably faster backwards than forwards lol.

Best skater over 6'3" I nominate Hedman. Definitely best over 6'5".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad