Players who are best in the NHL in certain skillsets?

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
It's kind of hard to word, but for example:
Who's the best saucer passer?
Who's the best at recieving a pass in their skates and then moving that onto their stick?
Quickest release?
Best wrist-shot? Best snap-shot?
Best poke check?
Best at stick lifting and stealing the puck?
Best tipper?

Obviously there's hundreds of different skillsets needed to be a good NHL'er, so get as creative as you want to. A good example of very creative is: Who's the best winger at getting the puck up the ice from the half wall during a breakout? Who's the best at retrieving dumped in pucks?

Can also include most accurate shooter, best stick handler, BUT I encourage everyone to get creative so we can really appreciate the uniqueness that every NHL player brings to the league.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Another example: Crosby is one of the best players at shielding the puck down low/along the boards even though he has a relatively smaller frame compared to the average NHL player (5'11 and 200), although I bet most of that 200 lbs is muscle.

Last edited:

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Quickest shot, I'd say Matthews is one of them.

Wrist shot, Kessel up there.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Another example: Crosby is one of the best players at shielding the puck down low/along the boards even though he has a relatively smaller frame compared to the average NHL player (5'11 and 200), although I bet most of that 200 lbs is muscle.

He has one of the strongest lower bodies in the league.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
No one is better than Crosby down low, not even close. He's also the best at receiving passes in his skates

Malkin has to be one of the best at 1 on 1 and in open ice, goes around people like nothing, which is why it puzzles me that the pens use Kessel as the guy who brings the puck in on the PP when Malkin is the best in the NHL at that.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Laine's shot is second to none.

Mark Stuart excels in being over 50 feet away from where he should be. (disclaimer: I do not know the exact distance between our arena's benches and the pressbox, so the number might be a bit off)

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Monahan has the best wrist shot in the NHL imo.

Gaudreau has probably the best dangles on a shift by shift basis.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
What's it called when a player is shielding the puck on the boards with their back to the play and they use their back to check someone that's behind them?

Whatever that is - Forsberg is incredible at it.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
What's it called when a player is shielding the puck on the boards with their back to the play and they use their back to check someone that's behind them?

Whatever that is - Forsberg is incredible at it.

When I think someone using their butt as a weapon, I think Jagr reversing 235 pounds into people while protecting the puck along the boards.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Hertl is a beast at protecting the puck along the boards. Pavelski is the best tipper.

I've noticed in these playoffs that Backstrom has to be one of the best in the league at this. Peter Forsberg was probably the best all-time at it.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Monahan has the best wrist shot in the NHL imo.

Gaudreau has probably the best dangles on a shift by shift basis.

Johnny has a highlight reel longer than most good players in a full career. I look for a big comeback campaign for Gaudreau next year.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Tobias Rieder is amazing at stealing the puck, breaking away with it, getting in all alone, and then not scoring. He does this with incredible regularity.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Tobias Rieder is amazing at stealing the puck, breaking away with it, getting in all alone, and then not scoring. He does this with incredible regularity.

Not scoring on breakaways is kind of a skill :laugh:. Him, Saad and Byron have that skill although byron got better. They should go work with Grabner in the offseason

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Seth Jones is up there when it comes to using his stick, takes full advantage of his skating and reach.
Hes also gotta be near the very top of the list at holding the blueline. Whether its on the boards, 4 inches off the ice or whatever it may be he always seems to keep it in. I know they were tough plays but I saw Subban miss the puck 3 times at the end of game 2 and my 1st thought was I never see that happen to Jones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad