WJC: Players that disappointed the most

brtriad

Jan 18, 2009
The Loop
Would like to reiterate my long standing statement that Huberdeau will be nothing special. This is coming from a huge Dale Tallon supporter.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
How come Ty Rattie can be such under the radar? What the hell did this offensive force do?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Every time I saw him he was a train wreck in his own end.

I can make a bunch of highlight reels of all the defensive plays Rielly makes. Especially in the russian game. You don't realize it because most defensive plays don't stand out. You magnify the bad in Rielly's game and you ignore the good.

Sif

Jan 2, 2010
Filip "Floppa" Forsberg was probably one of the worst underachievers, - taking into consideration his high 1st round draft position - and the fact that many of his teammates were actually overachievers in this tournament...

Totally agreed. Nothing but puck hogging and unsuccessful dangling.

The Perfect Human*

He was the worst forward for team Russia. He wasted chance after chance that his linemates worked very hard for. No team game, no passing ability, no hockey sense. This guy will forever need an elite center to play with to do anything in the NHL.

I'm an Oiler fan but I'm going to agree with this part of your assessment in regards to his play in the TOURNAMENT.

Yakupov wasn't playing like his usual self in this tournament - he seemed to lose trust in his linemates pretty early on and stopped passing as much. If you've seen him in the KHL and OHL he worked a great team game.

I think in this tournament he felt a superiority complex and simply tried to do more than he usually does to power the Russians. It never really worked out though.

I'm not worried about his passing ability - because as many that have actually seen him play in the KHL/OHL/SuperSeries can attest to - he's a helluva playmaker for a "goal-scoring Russian".

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
The Swedes are pretty spoiled if Forsberg was a disappointment for them. :laugh: I thought he played well at least judging from the games I saw him playing in.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I'm an Oiler fan but I'm going to agree with this part of your assessment in regards to his play in the TOURNAMENT.

Yakupov wasn't playing like his usual self in this tournament - he seemed to lose trust in his linemates pretty early on and stopped passing as much. If you've seen him in the KHL and OHL he worked a great team game.

I think in this tournament he felt a superiority complex and simply tried to do more than he usually does to power the Russians. It never really worked out though.

I'm not worried about his passing ability - because as many that have actually seen him play in the KHL/OHL/SuperSeries can attest to - he's a helluva playmaker for a "goal-scoring Russian".

Don't know how many Russian games you watched or if you only watched the games against Canada but Yakupov was making dirty passes all tournament. Especially on the Powerplay where he set up on the half boards and only passed, racked up a ton of Assists. Yakupov is a great passer and dynamic playmaker. Gonna make a hell of a first line with RNH.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
How come Ty Rattie can be such under the radar? What the hell did this offensive force do?

Scored more goals than everyone on his team aside from RNH, Huberdeau, Strome, and Schiefele. I thought he played reasonably well throughout the tournament, though I admit his numbers could have been slightly higher.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I was a Doug Hamilton fan, but will calm down a bit with that now...

I'd take Murray, Hamilton and/or Rielly, but...I'm going to remain loyal till the end with...Matt Dumba.

Matt Dumba would still be my choice for my favorite team.
(1 1/2 to 2 years from now...people will love him more and more!! he's going to be a good one).

TylerSVT*

I was a Doug Hamilton fan, but will calm down a bit with that now...

I'd take Murray, Hamilton and/or Rielly, but...I'm going to remain loyal till the end with...Matt Dumba.

Matt Dumba would still be my choice for my favorite team.
(1 1/2 to 2 years from now...people will love him more and more!! he's going to be a good one).

Dumba is horrible. Like really horrible. He is like Phaneuf with less Hockey IQ.... which is saying something.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Dumba is horrible. Like really horrible. He is like Phaneuf with less Hockey IQ.... which is saying something.
Liked Dumba last season and in the U-18, but he definitely seems to be on the losing end more and more of his decisions, it's just not coming together for him this year. Not beyond salvaging or anything, but he definitely played his way off the Team Canada radar for this year, and will have to find a way to get back on track for next year. IQ was always the knock, this is just the first time it became something that couldn't be overlooked.

That things didn't go so well for so many ostensibly highly-rated Team Canada prospects does make you wonder. Rielly and Hamilton did indeed both fail to match expectations... was it really the expectations that were misplaced, or... what happened with the team? It was interesting, and something to factor in, but I don't think changing your whole outlook on various prospects based on 2 weeks is a good idea.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

He's a young player. He's had a really tough season and obviously not making the under 20 team has to be disappointing. It's not exactly gut check time for him but if the draft was this year, he'd fall to the late 2nd or 3rd round if you look at his play.

I suspect he'll rebound from his struggles but you never know. Maybe being invited to camp will rejuvenate him.

VladNYC*

Don't know how many Russian games you watched or if you only watched the games against Canada but Yakupov was making dirty passes all tournament. Especially on the Powerplay where he set up on the half boards and only passed, racked up a ton of Assists. Yakupov is a great passer and dynamic playmaker. Gonna make a hell of a first line with RNH.

All of them. These plays you are talking about happened in your dreams.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
For all the Rielly bashing, this is from Elliotte Friedman's 30 THoughts yesterday

21. Team Canada: Don't like to kick people when they are down, and those were painful defeats for the Canadians. Appraisals were fair and honest. A consistent No. 1 item on that list was that, aside from Morgan Rielly and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins "most guys were ghosts of who they are/who they should be," one NHL scout said.

At least in this instance Rielly was singled out with RNH by an NHL scout as one of only two players who played the way they were expected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad