WJC: Players that disappointed the most

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
This is a lovely piece of sophistry here. Mackinnon did not have a role on the team at all. Drouin was canadas better offensive winger even compared to others

I have to go with morgan reilly and ryan strome. And i disagree with others who say yakupov. He was clearly russias most talented player. Hes clearly an nhl caliber offensive forward. Strome was invisble and reilly doesnt look to be an nhl caliber dman

I agree with Strome, I always want more from him. I can see flashes with huberdeau being an elite player, but dont see anything with Strome.

oilphan

Nov 21, 2005
I gotta agree with those saying Reilly was a disappointment. I really thought he played poorly. But in the same way as Yakupov. You can see he has the talent, just played a bad tournament.

LAX attack*

I agree with Strome, I always want more from him. I can see flashes with huberdeau being an elite player, but dont see anything with Strome.

Furthermore it speaks volumes that a 19 year old elite offensive talent basically sees no ice time in his teams most important game after the 2nd period.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
They didnt trust him enough to play him, cause everytime he was on the ice the puck seemed to be in Canada's zone. He had a couple good periods, but that doesnt make him Canada's 3rd best d-man.

And even if it does Canada's Def was awful as a unit. Why should we compare him to Canada's def, hes suppose to be one of the best d-man prospects in the world. He did not show this and if u think he did the homerism is really blinding you.
See you can't sit there and complain about coaching decisions and then use them as a tool to make an argument. Murphy was by far the worst player on Team Canada and yet he played 1st pairing and 1 PP minutes. It has nothing to do with homerism... he was given very limited opportunity and was very solid in the limited time he had.

Every time I saw him he was a train wreck in his own end.
No he wasn't... not in any way. He was actually very good in his own end, far better than he has been in Moosejaw.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
lol what games were you watching? He was one of the best 3 D for Canada all tournament

bottom 3 d

Murphy
Rielly
Hamilton

All played equally bad and were a major reason canada came it forth. To many offensive d that cant play defense

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
No he wasn't... not in any way. He was actually very good in his own end, far better than he has been in Moosejaw.

I certaintly hope thats not the case, I dont watch many MJ games so this is my main viewing of him. Thats bad news tho

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
0_zps6003bdeb.jpg

"We had Rielly rated as our #1 pick" Blowhard

ugrimugri*

Filip "Floppa" Forsberg was probably one of the worst underachievers, - taking into consideration his high 1st round draft position - and the fact that many of his teammates were actually overachievers in this tournament...

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

If that's the case then I seriously doubt Morgan Rielly's NHL future. He was shaky, scrambly, and easily overpowered and not great positionally in this tournament.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Filip "Floppa" Forsberg was probably one of the worst underachievers, - taking into consideration his high 1st round draft position - and the fact that many of his teammates were actually overachievers in this tournament...

Considering he was still one of the best forwards in the tournament you must have pretty high expectations on him. I could understand why one would expect more points out of him. I did. But he was not one of the biggest dissapointments in the tournament

jdrover

Mar 17, 2004
Ok.....enough with e Reilly Bashing....How can you say he was a disappointment when he led all Canadian defence in Points while getting the least ice time. I am a Reilly fan but here's the thing I ultimately blame Spott and the Canadian Coaching staff for making it a less than stellar appearance for Reilly.

Who was Reilly playing with 95% of the time he was out there on even strength...Yeah Murphy. How Can a coach get away with playing 2 individuals that are mainly looked at as offensive minded with issues in their defensive zone. Had he tried Reilly with a Harrington and given regular shift this would have been a completely different tournament and I do recall that Team Canada PP had more success with Reilly and Ouellet at the helm than their #1 pairing.

Also in regards to coaching, I find it interesting and intriguing that Reilly was considered a lock during the selection camp only to end up playing the 7th defenceman role with little even strength and mainly PP minutes

ugrimugri*

Considering he was still one of the best forwards in the tournament you must have pretty high expectations on him. I could understand why one would expect more points out of him. I did. But he was not one of the biggest dissapointments in the tournament

- could somebody please arrange a poll regarding best forwards - I don't think he will make top 15 (several teammates ahead of him as well)

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
- could somebody please arrange a poll regarding best forwards - I don't think he will make top 15 (several teammates ahead of him as well)

Arvidsson was better than him for sure. Other people ahead of him... perhaps.

VladNYC*

watching highlights it was obvious Yak was creating offense all tournament but his line-mates didn't have the finnish on a bunch of plays. He was the most dangerous russian when he was on the ice.

He was the worst forward for team Russia. He wasted chance after chance that his linemates worked very hard for. No team game, no passing ability, no hockey sense. This guy will forever need an elite center to play with to do anything in the NHL.

VladNYC*

I knew that someone was going to say this. Don't let the Homer announcer influence how good he actually was on those goals. First one he was given the puck on the side boards with next to no room. He deked the guy outbin super close and made a wicked pass on his back hand. He timed the rush to the net perfectly. The second he fought for the puck behind the net and it was far from a tap in on an off angle to put it upstairs. Without Yakupov, those goals don't happen. Just because you don't like the guy don't discredit home for a job well done.

Both goals were tap in from hard work and amazing passes by Kapustin and Yarullin. Watch the replay.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
He was the worst forward for team Russia. He wasted chance after chance that his linemates worked very hard for. No team game, no passing ability, no hockey sense. This guy will forever need an elite center to play with to do anything in the NHL.

oh please. he had 8 points in 7 games. tied for first on russia if i'm not mistaken. and also 5 of them were assists so i'm not sure what you're talking about. pretty good for a player with no hockey sense or passing ability right?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
They count..they just dont make you a great player.

The toe drags, and amazing wrist shots do. Unfortunatly luck doesnt go your way on the nice plays. Elite players find ways to score in all situations. Watch all 60 of stamkos's goals, alot of them were tap ins from being in the right spot

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Doesnt have an elite center in the KHL and still doing well. Plus the Oilers do have an elite center

x94Galchenyuk94x*

0_zps6003bdeb.jpg

"We had Rielly rated as our #1 pick" Blowhard

Why do you keep calling Burke a blow hard?

It's not far off to believe he was rated as Toronto's number one pick.. and he very well good be, along with everyone else in the 2012 draft, the best player in the draft.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He was also playing as a 4th line checker. Some peoples idiocy astounds me. Not saying he played great, but this tournament is hardly a viable measuring stick for MacKinnon.

Although you dont want to judge him on a tournament, I do think Drouin and Jones have set themselves above him as it currently stands.

On another note, it's interesting that Oullette, a player without the fanfare, set himself up for larger expectations now. I know Detroit is high on him, but others will now be just as high. It'll be interesting to see how he deals with the added pressure.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Although you dont want to judge him on a tournament, I do think Drouin and Jones have set themselves above him as it currently stands.

On another note, it's interesting that Oullette, a player without the fanfare, set himself up for larger expectations now. I know Detroit is high on him, but others will now be just as high. It'll be interesting to see how he deals with the added pressure.

I'll agree with you on Jones because he was terrific. Not that I think he's a better prospect than MacKinnon, but he was given the minutes and he performed as well as anyone could expect. Drouin was good, but I felt he faded in the medal games. He played decent against the Americans (at least by the standards of the team) but was not very visible against the Russians. MacKinnon is still above him by a bit as far as I'm concerned, since I don't feel the tourney was any indication of his ability. Drouin probably would have performed better if he played with MacKinnon consistently as well, I was disappointed that they played so little together. But when Spott is your coach..........

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad