WJC: Players that disappointed the most

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Yakupov was on my list until the Bronze medal game.

Douglie Hamilton is another. He was solid, but I expected a ton more with all the hype.

General Granny*

Hamilton, Huberdeau, Strome, Reilly, Murphy, etc

So much hype for nothing.

crunchyblack*

MacKinnon is the runaway winner. He's tagged as the #1 overall pick. He has 1 assist.

He was also playing as a 4th line checker. Some peoples idiocy astounds me. Not saying he played great, but this tournament is hardly a viable measuring stick for MacKinnon.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
He was also playing as a 4th line checker. Some peoples idiocy astounds me. Not saying he played great, but this tournament is hardly a viable measuring stick for MacKinnon.

Well, it is for some and it's not for others. If you like a player and he plays well, it's a great measuring stick. If you like a player and he doesn't play well, it's not a good measuring stick. Like your comment there. He only had one assist because he was playing on the 4th line. I would assume you must like MacKinnon. If you didn't, you might say that he disappointed so much he couldn't make it off the 4th line. Regardless, the only time he was visible was when he was taking stupid penalties. For a guy who is supposed to be the #1 overall draft choice to have 1 assist and not make it off the 4th line, he was the runaway winner. I think if you are looking at it unbiased anyways.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Well, it is for some and it's not for others. If you like a player and he plays well, it's a great measuring stick. If you like a player and he doesn't play well, it's not a good measuring stick. Like your comment there. He only had one assist because he was playing on the 4th line. I would assume you must like MacKinnon. If you didn't, you might say that he disappointed so much he couldn't make it off the 4th line. Regardless, the only time he was visible was when he was taking stupid penalties. For a guy who is supposed to be the #1 overall draft choice to have 1 assist and not make it off the 4th line, he was the runaway winner. I think if you are looking at it unbiased anyways.

Or you can look at it another way. The coach said MacK can play any role whereas Drouin was only effective on the top 2 lines. So MacK was in essence punished for being better defensively than Drouin. The coach was to blame for MacK results. He was put into a position to not be effective.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Or you can look at it another way. The coach said MacK can play any role whereas Drouin was only effective on the top 2 lines. So MacK was in essence punished for being better defensively than Drouin. The coach was to blame for MacK results. He was put into a position to not be effective.

i wonder what a mackinnon, droiun and RNH line would of been like? Then strome huberdeau and scheifle?

too bad Spott could spot that combo

CanadienKid25

Mar 28, 2010

I found your response interesting. I'm a big Mackinnon fan (can you tell?) and I found his play disappointing as well. I was really hoping to see him work his way up to the 2C. In regards to his #1 overall status, I don't think his WJC caused him to lose his ranking. Overall, a bad tournament for most Canadian players, individual play and team play.

Side Note:I am curious as to where fans would rank MacKinnon in a draft of only WJC canadians.

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
Two easy tap in does not make for a great player.

I knew that someone was going to say this. Don't let the Homer announcer influence how good he actually was on those goals. First one he was given the puck on the side boards with next to no room. He deked the guy outbin super close and made a wicked pass on his back hand. He timed the rush to the net perfectly. The second he fought for the puck behind the net and it was far from a tap in on an off angle to put it upstairs. Without Yakupov, those goals don't happen. Just because you don't like the guy don't discredit home for a job well done.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Two easy tap in does not make for a great player.

watching highlights it was obvious Yak was creating offense all tournament but his line-mates didn't have the finnish on a bunch of plays. He was the most dangerous russian when he was on the ice.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Rielly and Hamilton

Both just awful.

I knew Murphy was a POS before the camp, so I dont count him.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
MacKinnon is getting too many excuses. Never saw him do anything that warranted anymore ice time. If you didn't know who he was you wouldn't have known his name from watching this tournament. Very invisible. Didn't play well enough to look like a first overall pick. I think Jones definitely has moved ahead of him.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
MacKinnon is getting too many excuses. Never saw him do anything that warranted anymore ice time. If you didn't know who he was you wouldn't have known his name from watching this tournament. Very invisible. Didn't play well enough to look like a first overall pick. I think Jones definitely has moved ahead of him.

True but when Drouin and Mack played together they looked great, Mack never had any support hardly. Spott was a very bad coach not to play players that had chemistry from before.

Ritchie and Strome - Had to be a line
Drouin and Mack - Had to be a line.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
lol what games were you watching? He was one of the best 3 D for Canada all tournament

You gotta be kidding me? Rielly was horrendous, in his own zone he had no clue. Every now and then he would do a rush and shoot the puck in the goalies chest. He was useless and shouldnt of been there, how was he a lock??

Dont get me wrong he has potential, he can skate and move the puck but this tourny he was horrible.

P.S - I watched every game that TSN offered. Even streamed all the Finnish/Sweden games TSN didnt offer.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
You gotta be kidding me? Rielly was horrendous, in his own zone he had no clue. Every now and then he would do a rush and shoot the puck in the goalies chest. He was useless and shouldnt of been there, how was he a lock??

Dont get me wrong he has potential, he can skate and move the puck but this tourny he was horrible.
He wasn't horrible in any way shape or form. Him, Ouellet and Harrington were very clearly Canada's best 3 defenceman with a case being made for Wotherspoon some games.

In limited ice time he put up points, he generated offence and he was solid defensively.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
He wasn't horrible in any way shape or form. Him, Ouellet and Harrington were very clearly Canada's best 3 defenceman with a case being made for Wotherspoon some games.

In limited ice time he put up points, he generated offence and he was solid defensively.

They didnt trust him enough to play him, cause everytime he was on the ice the puck seemed to be in Canada's zone. He had a couple good periods, but that doesnt make him Canada's 3rd best d-man.

And even if it does Canada's Def was awful as a unit. Why should we compare him to Canada's def, hes suppose to be one of the best d-man prospects in the world. He did not show this and if u think he did the homerism is really blinding you.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Every time I saw him he was a train wreck in his own end.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Canada's defensemen were a disappointment to me. Offensively, defensively and physically they simply weren't good enough. Can't expect any of them to lead next years team so they better give a good long look at others.

LAX attack*

This is a lovely piece of sophistry here. Mackinnon did not have a role on the team at all. Drouin was canadas better offensive winger even compared to others

I have to go with morgan reilly and ryan strome. And i disagree with others who say yakupov. He was clearly russias most talented player. Hes clearly an nhl caliber offensive forward. Strome was invisble and reilly doesnt look to be an nhl caliber dman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad