Players that did not meet expectations this year

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
A little lower profile than some of the names here, but as a blues fan, id definitely have to say jaden schwartz.

He still played defense, was aggressive on the boards, played with intensity, and occasionally made great passes, but made very stupid decisions on the ice at times and completely lost all accuracy with his shot. He was unable to convert numerous goal scoring often missing empty nets with no pressure.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Initially I wasn’t going to reply, but after looking at this thread for a whole of 30 seconds

Here you go, some proof of people with some high expectations of Matthews.

You can stop being a immature ******* demanding proof and support for non-controversial statements, simply to be an inconvenience.

Lol. Nice job.

SouthWest

Apr 16, 2013
Canada
He’s above PPG?

Malkin also just didn't play that well overall, or at least to his standard if there is one.

He was noticeably flustered much of the season, made some stupid plays lashing out, injured multiple times.

Lots of the games I watched he just floated out there too, he would only be noticeable for 3 or 4 minutes a game out there. His team worst -25 shows that.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
That’s the issue. I like Mathews but would prefer points to points per game.

Eh not the first or last player to have some injuries to start their career. No reason to assume he can't be like Barkov and be healthier as he grows. The important thing is what he does when he plays.

It seems stupid to be like "Yeah this guy is good but he missed 20 games so we'll say he isn't".

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
I don't know much about Turris playoff play, but Subban does turn it on for sure.I had not seen him play so much in the previous years post-Habs, but he was noticeable on his game vs. the Habs. In previous games, I felt he wasn't into it, for whatever reason.... like playing against your former team in the building where the fans used to really cheer for you. Some were crazy about him.
Turris, I remember his rough start in Phoenix, Arizona. Became a good 2 way player with the Sens. Possibly doesn't have the minutes due to Johansen being a great 2-way player as well. maybe 2 similar players.

Turris was also on the ice for the Dion Phaneuf OT winner and assisted on the Bobby Ryan OT winner versus the Bruins.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Eh not the first or last player to have some injuries to start their career. No reason to assume he can't be like Barkov and be healthier as he grows. The important thing is what he does when he plays.

It seems stupid to be like "Yeah this guy is good but he missed 20 games so we'll say he isn't".

I think the thing with Matthews is when people start acting as if he's a 45 goal guy or a 90 point guy just because he paced for it, that's not really accurate since he never hit those totals. I think before a player can be talked about in such a way, they've actually got to achieve those totals first.

If someone wants to talk about Matthews as a point per game player, I have no issue with that. Some do since they're stuck on "82 points is point per game", but I'm fine with it. I just find the discussion about Matthews a bit questionable when people focus on "pace" and "per 60 minutes" to put him on the same level as players who've actually hit certain production levels he's never reached.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I think the thing with Matthews is when people start acting as if he's a 45 goal guy or a 90 point guy just because he paced for it, that's not really accurate since he never hit those totals. I think before a player can be talked about in such a way, they've actually got to achieve those totals first.

While normally I would agree with you, I think it's different for him because he already scored 40 goals as a rookie and this is his 3rd year. IMO there is a difference between some rookie coming in and putting up amazing stats over 60 games and people saying "omg he is amazing" and a guy with over 200 career games and the pace hasn't really changed.

I mean he got 40 as a rookie, 34 in 60 games last year, and 37 in 68 this year. Not exactly far fetched to assume he would be a 40+ goal scorer in any full season.

If someone wants to talk about Matthews as a point per game player, I have no issue with that. Some do since they're stuck on "82 points is point per game", but I'm fine with it. I just find the discussion about Matthews a bit questionable when people focus on "pace" and "per 60 minutes" to put him on the same level as players who've actually hit certain production levels he's never reached.

You are missing the point of those discussions. You just can't ignore all factors aside from points. It absolutely is relevant if Matthews gets less minutes both 5v5 and on the PP vs a lot of other big stars. That's all people are saying.

Usually when that comes up someone is claiming Matthews isn't even as good as player Y, but in reality Matthews is matching their production or around there either way and he is playing 3+ minutes less a game and sometimes 2-3min less on the PP on average.

And that's not his fault. Babcock is really heavy on short shifts and rolling lines.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
While normally I would agree with you, I think it's different for him because he already scored 40 goals as a rookie and this is his 3rd year. IMO there is a difference between some rookie coming in and putting up amazing stats over 60 games and people saying "omg he is amazing" and a guy with over 200 career games and the pace hasn't really changed.

I mean he got 40 as a rookie, 34 in 60 games last year, and 37 in 68 this year. Not exactly far fetched to assume he would be a 40+ goal scorer in any full season.

I'm not saying someone can't argue Matthews has 45 goal potential. I'm just saying that, too often, some have argued as though he's already a proven 45 goal (or 90 point) player, and thus he's comparable to players who actually hit 45 goals or 90 points.

Basically, my point is more directed to those who essentially argue as though Matthews has actually achieved those benchmarks, not just that he's got the potential to do it.

You are missing the point of those discussions. You just can't ignore all factors aside from points. It absolutely is relevant if Matthews gets less minutes both 5v5 and on the PP vs a lot of other big stars. That's all people are saying.

Usually when that comes up someone is claiming Matthews isn't even as good as player Y, but in reality Matthews is matching their production or around there either way and he is playing 3+ minutes less a game and sometimes 2-3min less on the PP on average.

And that's not his fault. Babcock is really heavy on short shifts and rolling lines.

But context is often ignored when also factoring in that a lot of time those extra minutes that other elite players play involve either PK time, or 5on5 minutes starting in the defensive zone in a more defensive role. Neither of those are conducive to more points, but some folks act as though they are.

And the problem isn't when folks use per60 or whatever to compare him to players he's producing similar to. The problem is he'll be outscored by like 20 *actual* points, but people will argue he was just as productive based on his P1/60 stats or whatnot.

In other words, I don't mind if people bring up those kinds of things as tiebreakers, if all else is equal. But the problem is they're brought up even in situations where Matthews is so far back in actual production.

PuckMasterZero

Mar 3, 2019
Beau....coming off back to back 20+ goal seasons, I thought he would put up 50-60 pts . He was very inconsistent again.

JHS...during an early season call up he was taking a K.I.S.S. approach and drawing Trotz praise for his D. He was not as dynamic offensively, but that was not surprising with his attempt to limit turnovers.
Demoted after Trotz said his bad habits started creeping back into his game. Been Bridgeport since then.

Eberle....tbrived in Weight's wide open system. Struggled in Trotz's system. Finished with 35 or so pts.
Who is beau?

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
auston matthews worst +/- on his team

sElKe WiNnEr

Matthews was widely touted as a top-10 player in the NHL going into this season and was frequently tagged with the “generational” label by his fan base. After his hot start, it was beginning to look like his fan base was right about him. The expectations grew...

Then, his performance pretty much fell off a cliff. In the calendar year of 2019, he scored 38 points in 43 games, and posted a -18 rating. If you set the cut-off date at just the moment he signed his contract, he scored 27 points in 30 games and posted a -12 rating.

Even in the statistics which his fan base uses to pump his tires, he didn’t do all that well. He finished 15th in even strength points per 60, behind players like Max Domi and Tomas Hertl. He finished 20th in points per game, behind players like Jonathan Huberdeau and Brayden Point.

He actually finished the season on pace for 88 points. Given his performance in the first 7 games of the season, and the expectations set by his fanbase and the Canadian media, I would say that is a thoroughly underwhelming performance.

Pretty much how I feel, I remember how annoying it was at the beginning of the year because of all the "flexing"

Hell, that stupid yearly Matthews > McDavid thread popped up around November, many people claimed Matthews was better than McDavid.

It's still McDavid and AINEC

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Who is beau?
Anthony Beauvillier.
I always misspell his name,so I use his nickname.

Holy h***. I checked the spelling to answer your question and find he has only one 20+ goal season and one 18 goal season. Worse stats then I thought :popcorn:

HeadHuntin

Feb 11, 2015
Laine, Taylor Hall (injury), Nolan Patrick, William Karlsson, Martin Jones, Kuzy, Barzal

bring back the jets

Oct 30, 2010
Barzal?

I thought he had a better season this year than last year. He improved considerably defensively and became a more well rounded player. I don't think Barry Trotz would trade this years version of Barzal for last years.

"His defensive game though"
"Any coach/GM would take A over B"

#thingspeoplesaytomakeexcusesforplayers

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
For San Jose:
Martin Jones - no explanation needed.
Marc Edouard Vlasic - Don't know if he was playing injured, wasn't mentally switched on, or what, but his first half of the season was horrible.
Justin Braun - I had very low expectations, and he didn't even meet them. He is awful.

This one is controversial but Logan Couture - He put up a productive season, but he never seemed to be driving the play. He didn't seem have a significant impact on many games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad