Players that did not meet expectations this year

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
So...no proof? Great. Thanks
I mean you can believe whatever you want, it really doesn’t matter to me.

You’ve already proven you aren’t worth talking to, nothing said or quoted is going to suddenly change your entire antagonistic mindset.

But me and the rest of the world, will continue to operate under the reality that there are indeed multiple quotes there.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Oilers had tons of guys. Reider, Lucic, Talbot, Larsson were the ones that really sewered the team.

kingsholygrail

Fastest Series Loss 0-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Carter
Doughty
Kopitar

Those three stick out to me. Many of the other vets I didn't expect much out of and got it. I had no expectations for the rookies.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
most of these are result of being hurt and missing 14 games more than his actual ability. 1 fewer point than Backstrom in 12 fewer games is technically falling short, but hardly something to point and laugh about. Especially when only 55% of people predicted it

Yeah, the Backstrom poll probably wasn’t worth mentioning. Backstrom also started off the season crazy hot IIRC.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
So...no proof? Great. Thanks

Well I’m not sure about that...

bet on 60.

I feel like 60+ is attainable. I don't see any good reason why he would only score at last seasons pace considering a better offensive lineup around him, another elite center to take off some pressure and motivate him to score more, actually being used on the stacked #1 powerplay unit and assuming good health. That's not to mention that he looks like a clearly improved player already, stats be damned. If I knew he would stay in this form for 82 games I wouldn't bet on him scoring less than 55.

Close to 60 this year and consistently threatening 80 when he reaches prime.

60 Goals 30 Assists 90 PTS

What you’re not going to reply now that you got bodied? Silence is usually the outcome when the arrogant get humbled, so I can’t say I’m stunned.

This was just on the 1st page of 1 thread. It was almost too easy.

Raskolnikow

Jun 19, 2018
Jaden Schwartz was underwhelming this season. He was still an useful player on the ice with his quickness and two-way-game, but he had massive problems with his shot, missing velocity and precision.

Another one who didn't meet my expectations, was Zach Werenski. He was not bad by any means, scoring at 0.5 ppg pace, but in comparison to his awesome rookie year, he didn't show the progress I was hoping for. Often enough he was sloppy in his own end, too. But I remain hopeful that he will improve as he is still really young.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Most of the Canucks who sucked were expected to suck, but a few "surprised" me.

Tanev - Was even more injury prone than usual... and seemed to take longer getting back to speed when he came back.
Virtanen - I was in the minority, but I had hopes for a 20/20 season from him... and he showed flashes of that player, but he also showed even longer flashes of a guy who was just out there skating around.
Goldoblin - Got every chance to show off his offensive chops... showed off every few chops at all.
Baertschi - Concussions seem to have derailed his career... perhaps permanently.

Last edited:
Reactions: TicklingTwine

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Well I’m not sure about that...

What you’re not going to reply now that you got bodied? Silence is usually the outcome when the arrogant get humbled, so I can’t say I’m stunned.

This was just on the 1st page of 1 thread. It was almost too easy.
One quote where the poster says its possible to score 60 under the right conditions, another predicting 90 pts when he ended up short but still on pace for 89-90.

In order to spare you from the trouble of quote mining, I'd be willing to concede that there were indeed some Leaf fans who made lofty points predictions of Matthews. My issue is with your claim the mention of a lot of Leaf fans. So could you tell us what you considered to be a lot of Leaf fans? That way we can determine how representative that number is when describing the fan base on the main boards, or on the entire site, or the entire fan base all together.

It seems all too common for posters on this site to inflate the numbers of those making dubious claims while ignoring more rational statements. This makes it easier to push a narrative about an entire fan base. It is why a number of fans tend to stick to their team board, rather than spend time defending against the toxic atmosphere on the main boards.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Toronto

Mathews was supposed to be a 50 goal 100 point player

Nylander was supposed to turn it on and get 60 points

Reilly was supposed to be putting up a 90 point season.

Anderson was supposed to be a Verzinq winner

Brown was supposed to something more than poke check

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
One quote where the poster says its possible to score 60 under the right conditions, another predicting 90 pts when he ended up short but still on pace for 89-90.

In order to spare you from the trouble of quote mining, I'd be willing to concede that there were indeed some Leaf fans who made lofty points predictions of Matthews. My issue is with your claim the mention of a lot of Leaf fans. So could you tell us what you considered to be a lot of Leaf fans? That way we can determine how representative that number is when describing the fan base on the main boards, or on the entire site, or the entire fan base all together.

It seems all too common for posters on this site to inflate the numbers of those making dubious claims while ignoring more rational statements. This makes it easier to push a narrative about an entire fan base. It is why a number of fans tend to stick to their team board, rather than spend time defending against the toxic atmosphere on the main boards.
So let me get this straight, your problem is with the words “a lot”. I don’t even think “a lot” is an exaggeration. Those quotes had likes on them, aka people who agree.

Also, that is only 1 page of 1 thread. If I had to dug slightly deeper, I’m sure I could have found more, enough to quantify “a lot”.

There are a lot bigger fish to fry if you want to be the white knight to make these boards not toxic.

I don’t dislike the leafs at all, I had multiple on my fantasy team and I root for them to do well. My problem is with posters who antagonize, and there happens to be the most leafs fans that fall into that category.

You cried for proof, I provided it, I don’t see why this conversation needs to carry on any further.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Its pretty comical that people are still mentioning Eichel with 82 in 77......he was on a top 5 pace before the injury slowed him down a bit.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Why isn't this Patrik Laine: the thread?

30 goals and 20 assists in 82 games.

Oh, right... it's main boards. The real dissapointment was the entire Maple Leafs roster :laugh:

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Oh, right... it's main boards. The real dissapointment was the entire Maple Leafs roster :laugh:

Plenty have said Laine, but nice deflection attempt.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Patrick Laine... I thought he would challenge Ovi this year. Boy was I wrong. He scored over half his goals in one month. Yikes.

Reactions: Caitlyn Jenner

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Matthews has to be pretty amazing. On pace for 45 goals and 90+ points on a team that made the playoffs and he is a disappointment? How high are your expectations? Matthews is no more injury prone than Barkov was at the same age.

He was on pace for 88 points

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Do you have on ignore the multiple posts that mentioned Laine, including mine? Or do you only focus on any time something bad is said about the Leafs and assume the entire thread is about them?

Raskolnikow

Jun 19, 2018
He’s above PPG?

Yeah, but Malkin still qualifies for this thread. His play was very nonchalant and sloppy at times, he was prone to bad turnovers and laziness. He only scored over ppg because he is absurdly talented and got lots of pp time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad