Players should be able to hit Goalies behind the net

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
I don't understand why goalies are allowed to play the puck behind the net, set up picks, and players not be allowed to hit them.

I take issue with goalies slowing down the game and stopping dump ins, all while the pressuring forward can't hit the goalie.

Goalies are protected in the crease heavily but you can't hit them when they stop protecting the net?

It's extremly stupid that goalies get away with that. There is no reasons for goalies to get involved in a play and not be fair game.

I think goalies should just stay in the net that way the games will flow better, or if goalies want to play as a player when they go behind the net and make passes, then they should be able to get hit like a player.

Change my mind cause this rule is unfair and illogical. Tell me why it should stay. I've met countless people who agree with me so I'm curious to see what others say.

29zivo.jpg

I've argued this before numerous times. Peeps always come up with excuses for the goalies, so it's a lost cause. Makes no sense how they can be protected not only in their crease, but everywhere else on the ice too. Totally agree with you!

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Never really considered this of topic, but its interesting to see the discussion on it. I'd be weary about making hits to goalie legal, but I do get your point.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Every freaking. Year!

Goalies should not. Be fair game because their equipment isn't designed to protect against checks. What's next allow players. To shoot the puck at opponents? Imagine this I'm carrying. The puck up the center of the ice, stop turn to your bench and rip a slap shot. Into your bench at your best player. Then after the brawl subsides my defense is " you shoot the puck at our goalie 30 times a game! Rabble rabble fairness"

Freaking idiotic.

Your punctuation is .... um .... yea.....
:laugh:

As to what you said .... a bump off the puck should be legal from the front so he sees the bump coming. A hit from behind shouldn’t be allowed for reasons you gave.
If some over zealous player checks him with vigor, then 2 mins for roughing.
If the goalie gets injured (for the game), the offending player gets a game misconduct and the play gets reviewed by DOPS.

If the goalie doesn’t want to risk getting bumped at all, don’t play the puck when the opposition is near :dunno:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I don't think they should be fair game for huge collisions but a little bump wouldn't bother me. What bugs me is the blatant picks they set. They should be called every single time they set one. That'll make more of them rethink how they'll play the puck.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
What does it say in the rulebook right now? That goalies are totally off limits in any situation?
69.2 Penalty - In all cases in which an attacking player initiates intentional or deliberate contact with a goalkeeper, whether or not the goalkeeper is inside or outside the goal crease, and whether or not a goal is scored, the attacking player will receive a penalty (minor or major, as the Referee deems appropriate). In all cases where the infraction being imposed is to the attacking player for hindering the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely in his goal crease, the penalty to be assessed is for goalkeeper interference. In exercising his judgment, the Referee should give more significant consideration to the degree and nature of the contact with the goalkeeper than to the exact location of the goalkeeper at the time of the contact.
69.4 Contact Outside the Goal Crease - If an attacking player initiates any contact with a goalkeeper, other than incidental contact, while the goalkeeper is outside his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed. A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal crease. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an attacking player makes unnecessary contact with the goalkeeper. However, incidental contact will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such unnecessary contact. When a goalkeeper has played the puck outside of his crease and is then prevented from returning to his crease area due to the deliberate actions of an attacking player, such player may be penalized for goalkeeper interference. Similarly, the goalkeeper may be penalized, if by his actions outside of his crease he deliberately interferes with an attacking player who is attempting to play the puck or an opponent.

As for the thread topic, no they should not.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
In fact, let's take it a step further.

You get a penalty if you DON'T hit the goalie when he's out of his crease.

2 minutes for sportsmanlike conduct.

Thoughts?

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
It's about goalies slowing down the puck on dump ins and making passes, all the while forechecking player is getting blocked by the goalie. I want to let the players player, and have goalies understand that they can't **** around outside the goal without any repercussions. Right now there is zero repercussions, goalies slow down the game by involving themselves, set up picks and get away with it, lastly no one can do anything about it.

Future PI in the making, sadly I think you will fail at it.

For someone who claims its not about the violence, you sure seem uninterested in other options to solve your issue.

Hell, I'll agree with you, it would be entertaining to see a goalie get cranked by a big hit. I used to love how on NHL Hitz 2002 I could crank a goalie head first into the boards then pass it out front for a goal, thought it was hilarious. This is real life though with real people.

if they want to keep the goalie from playing defense they could make it a penalty for the goaltender to set a pick on a skater, they could even make it so the goaltender isn't allowed below the goal line. What do you think of these options?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
For someone who claims its not about the violence, you sure seem uninterested in other options to solve your issue.

Hell, I'll agree with you, it would be entertaining to see a goalie get cranked by a big hit. I used to love how on NHL Hitz 2002 I could crank a goalie head first into the boards then pass it out front for a goal, thought it was hilarious. This is real life though with real people.

if they want to keep the goalie from playing defense they could make it a penalty for the goaltender to set a pick on a skater, they could even make it so the goaltender isn't allowed below the goal line. What do you think of these options?

Give me a fair solution for both sides.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
f they want to keep the goalie from playing defense they could make it a penalty for the goaltender to set a pick on a skater, they could even make it so the goaltender isn't allowed below the goal line. What do you think of these options?

Regardless of whether you think this would be a good rule or not, it's the obvious option in response to the "hit the goalie like a player" option.

I like it, it would create more offense.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Cody Eakin, of all people, got suspended four games for this hit because King Henrik took too long to play the puck.

I guess Eakin forgot the current rule of tip-toeing around the goalie while he's handling the puck behind the crease, being extra cautious to avoid any contact whatsoever while giving him ample time to make a play. :laugh:

Also....is it just me or did Lundqvist's helmet come off really, really easily on that hit?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I don't care what their equipment is designed for. If they aren't suited to take hits then they shouldn't be leaving the net and trying to be more than a goalie.

This is the kind of crap that is logically inconsistent.

Don't play the puck behind the net and setting picks. Goalies should be completely fair game. And so far, not one person has given a legitimate reason as to why they can do that with zero reprocussion.

Equivalent analogy is in football. If a QB runs the ball and slides you can't touch him. His equipment isn't designed for taking tackles either.

Additionally, the goalie going out and playing the puck generally speeds up the game and reduces the number of player on player collisions going into the back boards so it's better for everyone's safety.

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
What about if the goalie leaves his crease to get to the bench for an extra attacker? Can you pass the opposing goalie the puck and then drill him in front of the opposing bench, Dustin Brown-style?

Why would you pass him the puck instead of shooting at the empty net?

I think the trapazoid thing is backwards. The rule was put in to stop goalies (Broduer at the time) from playing the puck, and starting the breakout. I think the area right behind the net should be the area they cant play the puck in, thats where they stop the dump ins at, not in the corners.

As mentioned many times, the goalie pads are not designed for that kind of contact. And really, if you make them fair game, the pads will be redesigned, now you have a fully protected guy who start initiating contact and laying people out, instead of sitting back there waiting to get hit. They will start going on the offensive. Can you imagine Ben Bishop coming out and wiping out Johnny Gaudreau? (That example was just for size comparisons, in reality, Bishop would probably blow out a knee)

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Equivalent analogy is in football. If a QB runs the ball and slides you can't touch him. His equipment isn't designed for taking tackles either.

Additionally, the goalie going out and playing the puck generally speeds up the game and reduces the number of player on player collisions going into the back boards so it's better for everyone's safety.

the hockey equivalent of that is the crease. you cant touch a goalie in the crease incidental or not.

However, when a QB slides, that is the ONLY time you cant light him up. Any other time when he has the football he is fair game to get crushed, and many have

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
the hockey equivalent of that is the crease. you cant touch a goalie in the crease incidental or not.

However, when a QB slides, that is the ONLY time you cant light him up. Any other time when he has the football he is fair game to get crushed, and many have

There's also a roughing the passer rule, so they're not entirely fair game. Generally they just get wrapped up, as opposed to being completely trucked.

The crease is more like the you can't hit the kicker in football. Which is yet another protected position in that sport.

Goalies just can't be mobile enough to avoid hits, and it can also be hard to 'keep your head on a swivel' especially if they use a dangler... Which means more opportunity for hits that they don't see, which are the most dangerous.

That's actually part of the reason why they protect the puck the way they do when out of the net: allows for the best chance to see anyone making a run at you, puts your equipment in the best position to protect you, and allows the best opportunity to counter hit if necessary.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If you don't like the rule that's fine but goalies aren't equipped for body contact.

Saying they should be fair game just sounds dumb.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
There's also a roughing the passer rule, so they're not entirely fair game. Generally they just get wrapped up, as opposed to being completely trucked.

QBs can get trucked as legally hard as any other player who has the ball if they don't slide.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
If you don't like the rule that's fine but goalies aren't equipped for body contact.

Saying they should be fair game just sounds dumb.

so...stay...in...the...crease...where...you...are...protected

you cant have it both ways. either you are fair game to get hit when you roam to play the puck, or make it a penalty for the goalie to do so to keep them in the crease.

Reactions: Sol

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

since when can you not touch a goalie in the crease? Guys routinely RAM into goalies with bodies and sticks when the puck is lose. And unlike the QB's. they have the ability to either move to limit the hit or run out of bounds where they are protected. Goalies have NEITHER option. they are largely immobile sitting targets.

What goalies should do is be more proactive of waffling forwards who come into the crease if I undersrtand it right " forwards that don't want their ankles broken should stay out of the crease and then they wouldn't have anything to fear"

And to be frank, even if they made it legal to truck goalies, you do it you are still getting punched repeated in the face and you deserve it.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This would cause so many injuries and probably ruin so many careers it's ridiculous to even suggest.

You guys wanna bitch about being partially picked, make it a penalty to place a pick(interference). It's a lot easier to condition 60 refs to make calls differently than it would be to condition entire countries because of new rules (which eventually make their way to lesser levels so that players are able to prepare for the NHL)

Reactions: WPGDEVILS

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
If you are looking for a better analogy, I look to baseball where they dont allow runners to collide with the catcher anymore.

that rule also outlawed catchers from blocking the plate.

which is the same as what some are suggesting here...make it a penalty to hit a goalie, but also make it a penalty for the goalie to roam and play the puck

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
i agree with this. however, if this situation happened irl, then it will just start a bunch of unnecessary nonsense that slows the game down

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
so...stay...in...the...crease...where...you...are...protected

you cant have it both ways. either you are fair game to get hit when you roam to play the puck, or make it a penalty for the goalie to do so to keep them in the crease.
I'm not sure why i have to explain why one is a good solution and one is a stupid one.

If enough people don't want the goalies playing the puck, make it illegal to do so. Letting the players police the rules and causing injuries in the process is stupid and will never happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad