Players should be able to hit Goalies behind the net

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I don't understand why goalies are allowed to play the puck behind the net, set up picks, and players not be allowed to hit them.

I take issue with goalies slowing down the game and stopping dump ins, all while the pressuring forward can't hit the goalie.

Goalies are protected in the crease heavily but you can't hit them when they stop protecting the net?

It's extremly stupid that goalies get away with that. There is no reasons for goalies to get involved in a play and not be fair game.

I think goalies should just stay in the net that way the games will flow better, or if goalies want to play as a player when they go behind the net and make passes, then they should be able to get hit like a player.

Change my mind cause this rule is unfair and illogical. Tell me why it should stay. I've met countless people who agree with me so I'm curious to see what others say.

29zivo.jpg

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
And when Jonathan Quicks career is in jeopardy from concussions, you'll quickly change your tune

Teams rarely rim the puck when entering the zone anymore anyway. And the trapezoid rule has basically solved the problem with goalies slowing down the play.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
And when Jonathan Quicks career is in jeopardy from concussions, you'll quickly change your tune

Teams rarely rim the puck when entering the zone anymore anyway. And the trapezoid rule has basically solved the problem with goalies slowing down the play.
Quick should have stayed in the damn net if he didn’t want a concussion.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Give me a reason why goalies should be able to go beyond their position and play as a player and not be able to get like a player? He's supposed to be protecting the net, not setting up picks and making outlet passes. Give me an argument.

Quick should have stayed in the damn net if he didn’t want a concussion.

This

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I would coach a strategy around baiting goalies back there and then absolutely demolishing them.

I would bet goalies wouldn't be going behind the net if they knew they were fair game once they abandoned their post. Goalies job is to stop the puck from going inside the goal. Nothing more.

Reactions: Mergatroidskittle

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
As a goalie; I agree to an extent.

Players shouldn't be able to go out of their way to hit a goalie that is outside the crease. However, they shouldn't be forced to avoid them like the plague. I hate seeing goalies shield the puck behind the net from the opposition. Especially considering the size of goalies and how they take up the entire space behind the net. Go out there, control the dump in, then go back into the net.

The worst is when they shield the puck, get touched, get scored on, then have the goal overturned due to interference.

Reactions: HighNote and Pure

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
As a goalie; I agree to an extent.

Players shouldn't be able to go out of their way to hit a goalie that is outside the crease. However, they shouldn't be forced to avoid them like the plague. I hate seeing goalies shield the puck behind the net from the opposition. Especially considering the size of goalies and how they take up the entire space behind the net. Go out there, control the dump in, then go back into the net.

The worst is when they shield the puck, get touched, get scored on, then have the goal overturned due to interference.

I'm surprised that a goalie would agree. In terms of legal or illegal the less grey area the better. If at any point the goalie goes behind the net, and play the puck whether, they should be able to get hit legally. Even if it's to stop the puck going around the boards. If it isn't late or dirty, then it should be fair.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I don't think hitting the goalie should be allowed. But I don't have any problem with them being bumped off the puck if they're handling it. If they end up on their butt, too bad. But it's a fine line.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I agree. Goalies should be free to be hit behind the net.

In general, the special treatment of goalies is pretty unfair. A goalie can blocker players in the face with no repercussions but whenever someone sneezes at the goalie it's goalie interference.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
I usually dont say that i would enjoy seeing a player hurt. And im not even really saying that, but if i could see Mike Smith get absolutely clobbered behind the net, with no injury or anything. That would be amazing

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Every freaking. Year!

Goalies should not. Be fair game because their equipment isn't designed to protect against checks. What's next allow players. To shoot the puck at opponents? Imagine this I'm carrying. The puck up the center of the ice, stop turn to your bench and rip a slap shot. Into your bench at your best player. Then after the brawl subsides my defense is " you shoot the puck at our goalie 30 times a game! Rabble rabble fairness"

Freaking idiotic.

Reactions: Beezeral

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I do find it annoying they can protect the puck and interfere, but you can't hit them. If they don't want to be hit, stay in the crease. Abusing your unfair advantage is lame.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Every freaking. Year!

Goalies should not. Be fair game because their equipment isn't designed to protect against checks. What's next allow players. To shoot the puck at opponents? Imagine this I'm carrying. The puck up the center of the ice, stop turn to your bench and rip a slap shot. Into your bench at your best player. Then after the brawl subsides my defense is " you shoot the puck at our goalie 30 times a game! Rabble rabble fairness"

Freaking idiotic.

I don't care what their equipment is designed for. If they aren't suited to take hits then they shouldn't be leaving the net and trying to be more than a goalie.

This is the kind of crap that is logically inconsistent.

Don't play the puck behind the net and setting picks. Goalies should be completely fair game. And so far, not one person has given a legitimate reason as to why they can do that with zero reprocussion.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Goalie equipment isn' meant for players contact, especially the helmets. Design something then come back to the hockey community.

Again, so what? If you make hits on goalies behind the net legal, then no goalie would ever get hit, because they wouldn't go behind the net. so it doesn't matter one bit if they're suited to take hits or not.

Please don't give me the proper gear excuse. That doesn't explain why they are allowed such privileges WHILE playing beyond their position.

It's so logically inconsistent and pathetic.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I don't think hitting goalies would solve the problem. If the NHL doesn't want them behind the net, just remove the trapezoid or change its dimensions. To get rid of picks (which I would 110% be in favour of) start calling them interference. It's better to create enforceable rules than to scare goalies through risk of injury.

Even if hitting the goalies were allowed, almost nobody would do it because of the whole "goalies are sacred" attitude. For better or worse, goalies can get away with murder and be defended by their teammates.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I agree with the OP on this one. Designed equipment or not, a goalie is a player and should be treated as such when leaving the blue ice. I also absolutely hate when I see goalies go behind the net and just set up a pick. It's stupid.

Hell another thing that absolutely pisses me off is when goalies shake their helmets off for the whistle. Yes, I know sometimes is a valid excuse such as if a strap becomes so undone that the helmet is about to pop off but when you see a goalie shaking shaking and even more shaking, I find it to be absurd not to just wait until the next whistle. Should be called a delay of game honestly.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I don't care what their equipment is designed for. If they aren't suited to take hits then they shouldn't be leaving the net and trying to be more than a goalie.

This is the kind of crap that is logically inconsistent.

Don't play the puck behind the net and setting picks. Goalies should be completely fair game. And so far, not one person has given a legitimate reason as to why they can do that with zero reprocussion.
C

Reactions: Pukboy5kroner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad