Players should be able to hit Goalies behind the net

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I'm all for goalies staying inside the crease at all times.

But in return I would also ask that whenever a player touches the goalie, intentional or accidental, with skate, body part or his stick, if a goal is scored that goal is automatically disallowed (only review would be to confirm there was contact between the player and the goalie) and it should also be an automatic 2 minutes goalie interference.

hockeyfan747

Oct 29, 2009
Every freaking. Year!

Goalies should not. Be fair game because their equipment isn't designed to protect against checks. What's next allow players. To shoot the puck at opponents? Imagine this I'm carrying. The puck up the center of the ice, stop turn to your bench and rip a slap shot. Into your bench at your best player. Then after the brawl subsides my defense is " you shoot the puck at our goalie 30 times a game! Rabble rabble fairness"

Freaking idiotic.

The irony of saying “freaking idiotic” while making quite likely the worst analogy ever.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
The only way goalies should ever be fair game is if you take out the trapezoid. The trapezoid is there for this reason. If you take out the trapezoid and make goalies fair game(at least outside the crease), it could deter them from going behind the net too often. Like it's ridiculous how on power plays, the goalie of the team on the PP sometimes has to watch the puck and wait for it to get to the trapezoid. There's nobody nearby at that point, and therefore no harm in letting him get the puck back up the ice.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
This would be an exciting rule change. Just think of all the highlight reel moments when a goalie takes his chance to go behind the net, gets absolutely destroyed with a huge hit and a goal is scored.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Logically it makes sense for, but unless they had better helmets that don't fly off so easily it won't happen.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This is one of the most ridiculous proposals I've ever heard.

What's next allowing goalies to wear firearms to protect themselves? Has the OP ever tried to skate with goalie equipment?

Last edited:
Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I don't think you should be able to Byfuglien steamroll a goalie but agree that contact with the goalie behind the net should be fine.

Hate when a goalie plays the puck behind the net and does a body block on the forechecker knowing that if the player even brushes up against him it is a penalty.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Took less than a second to mentally picture Tom Wilson jumping into a goalie. Great idea.

Some degree of contact, sure, it's a joke that just brushing up against a goalie can draw a penalty...but outright hits? That's a huge safety issue.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Hit them? No, absolutely not. But if they leave their crease, they shouldn't be protected from incidental contact.

This is my stance. I'm honestly surprised at all the support for this. I opened this thread expecting the large majority of responses to be hell no.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Every freaking. Year!

Goalies should not. Be fair game because their equipment isn't designed to protect against checks. What's next allow players. To shoot the puck at opponents? Imagine this I'm carrying. The puck up the center of the ice, stop turn to your bench and rip a slap shot. Into your bench at your best player. Then after the brawl subsides my defense is " you shoot the puck at our goalie 30 times a game! Rabble rabble fairness"

Freaking idiotic.

Ding ding ding.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
The only way goalies should ever be fair game is if you take out the trapezoid. The trapezoid is there for this reason. If you take out the trapezoid and make goalies fair game(at least outside the crease), it could deter them from going behind the net too often. Like it's ridiculous how on power plays, the goalie of the team on the PP sometimes has to watch the puck and wait for it to get to the trapezoid. There's nobody nearby at that point, and therefore no harm in letting him get the puck back up the ice.
goalies should not be fair game even if there were two freaking trapezoids.

it has nothing to do with the speed of the game of a bunch of whiny forwards who think that they should be able to go wherever the hell they like on the ice unfettered. its a safety issue. Goalie equipment is designed to do one thing, protect the goalie from pucks ( and even then its not absolute). it is WOEFULLY designed to protect goalies from full out body checks.

how about this, instead of a 2 minute minor, defensemen who get penalized have to play 5 minutes with no shin pads ? That will cut down on all the shot blocking because really who the hell do the defensemen think they are, getting in shootiung lanes and taking on the goalies responsibilities?

idiotic on so many levels, and predictably idiotic.

Reactions: Jon Riley

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
The irony of saying “freaking idiotic” while making quite likely the worst analogy ever.
the basis is " if i can check players I should check goalies" is entirely consistent with " if I shoot the puck at a goalie I should be able to shoot it at any player". both ARE idiotic.

and this rationale, why is it limited to the trapezoid? why dont we allow players to lucic goalies anywhere on the ice ? that'll teach em.

Reactions: Jon Riley

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
In Lacrosse this is the rule, the goalie is allowed to engage physically when they step out of the net, just as players are allowed to engage the goalie. It doesn't happen often though because if you touch a goalie every player on their team is coming after you

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Took less than a second to mentally picture Tom Wilson jumping into a goalie. Great idea.

Some degree of contact, sure, it's a joke that just brushing up against a goalie can draw a penalty...but outright hits? That's a huge safety issue.
He didn’t mean to jump, was an accident

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
This is a horrendous idea.

Goalies are not mobile enough to avoid incoming checks.

Injuries would happen far too often, and teams would target goalies just to "get them off their game"

There is a multiple sport movement to get away from concussions and you guys want to make it legal to hit a stationary player?

Reactions: allevat

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
YES!

2fd7087d628bbb88e9966223b199a336.jpg

Reactions: ToddsBod

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
If hitting a goalie is so stupid, then make it so the goalie can never leave the crease.

More goals, and problem solved.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
behind the net? no IMO.

BUT, goalies should not be allowed to make sure they are in the way of opposing players back there either.

Now coming out of their crease in front of the net to play the puck and act like a 3rd D? Yeah, they should be fair game then. If you are going to act like a skater you should be treated like one. Like the Lucic on Miller hit.

and before someone says "but their pads arent made for hits"...then they can stay in the crease where they have the rules protecting them.

Reactions: ToddsBod

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
What about if the goalie leaves his crease to get to the bench for an extra attacker? Can you pass the opposing goalie the puck and then drill him in front of the opposing bench, Dustin Brown-style?

Reactions: nturn06

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad