Players due for a step back next season.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The question with Scheifele is probably more his goal then assists. He shot 20% in 2016-17, which was 4th highest in the league among forwards with 10+ goals. The only three forwards with a higher shooting % were TJ Oshie, Paul Byron, and Artem Anisimov.

He shot 14.9%, 8.8% and 13% the previous three seasons. Was this season an outlier in his shooting % or can he sustain it higher then 14-15% going forward?

It's fair to assume that his shot % could be lower then last year but I think is PPG would be the same or better than last year. Of all of the players in the league why single out Mark?

Another reason for the higher shot % seems to be attributed to Laine. All of his line mates experienced a bump in their shot % when playing with him.
Teams were over compensating to cover Laine in comical ways. I think it's reasonable to think that Scheifele's shot % went up this last year because he took another step as a player, had a good year and got better opportunities.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It's fair to assume that his shot % could be lower then last year but I think is PPG would be the same or better than last year. Of all of the players in the league why single out Mark?

Another reason for the higher shot % seems to be attributed to Laine. All of his line mates experienced a bump in their shot % when playing with him.
Teams were over compensating to cover Laine in comical ways. I think it's reasonable to think that Scheifele's shot % went up this last year because he took another step as a player, had a good year and got better opportunities.

You're proposing two different arguments that contradict each other.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Nylander Marner and Kadri.

I actually think Marner will have a better season than he did this past season.

I could see Matthews taking a slight step back, simply because he set the bar so high his rookie season and getting 40 Goals season after season is a tall order. I still see him getting 30+ goals, 70+ points though so not really a step back in overall scoring. I see him as a better version of Eric Staal in his prime, in that you always knew you were going to get 30+ goals, 70+ points for Staal, year in and year out. I think Matthews will be like that (only better). You know you are going to consistent points year after year from him.

Nylander is a bit of a wildcard for me. If he's used like he was used last season, I expect he won't have a step back and should do as well, if not better. If they decide to use him at center, then his offense could take a slight hit at even strength as he takes on the added responsibilities the center position entails.

Kadri I'd expect to drop back a bit offensively, but I'd still guess he hit's 50 points. Given the role he plays, that's not really a step back IMO.

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
My best bets for regression:

The Nationwide Arena Cannon Operator - no way he can keep up this torrid pace of getting it to fire after every CBJ goal. Is unsustainable.

Stinger - As a mascot he will continue to be OK, but his performance has to regress after such a career year.

Leo Welsh - The fans will continue to yell "LEO!", but the quality of his performances will drop off significantly.

CBJ win total - if you average the last 16 seasons the number of wins they have is significantly less than last year, so I predict a regression back to the norm for this franchise. They aren't a perennial contender so they obviously cant do it more than one lucky time.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Already been stated but I think at least one of the Leafs trio hits a snag. Also think Matthews doesn't get 40 again next year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
From the Oilers;

Draisatil, I do think he showed in the playoffs that he doesn't need McDavid but anytime you have a guy that is only 20 with a 77 point season he's probably in the running for having a down year the following year.

Maroon's 27 goals doesn't seem sustainable. Point wise he could be the same as it was 42 points.

Klefbom, the guy scored the exact amount of regular season goals last year as he did in his 6 previous pro years combined. Just rare to see something like that. He looks like a guy that has things figured out and should be fine, but at the same time I just can't wrap my head around how he scored that much last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad