Friedman: Players don’t want to sign in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
What's the social media aspect of that?

hockey players in Canada are celebs like football/nba players in the US are.

hockey players in US can earn their millions, save on taxes and go about their daily lives without having to deal with social media BS or getting mobbed

remember the McDavid picture on the airport with fan that was a couple? :laugh:

Reactions: jaloviina

bov

Nov 13, 2010
No shit. Most players probably want some semblance of a normal life, and with the way Canada has reacted to the pandemic, I would think long and hard about signing anywhere up there anytime soon, especially long term. Quite a few people in denial here I see. Almost everything appealing about Canada from a lifestyle standpoint has become (temporarily) compromised from an athlete POV.

Reactions: Ola

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
So much more to offer in American cities than anything in Canada. No fishbowl with fans and media. better taxes, generally warmer weather for the most part. Younger players want to play somewhere nice with zero pressure and most Canadian cities don’t Fit the bill anymore. Players like Connor McDavid are probably counting the days till they can leave arctic wastelands like Edmonton in the rear view mirror.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
hockey players in Canada are celebs like football/nba players in the US are.

hockey players in US can earn their millions, save on taxes and go about their daily lives without having to deal with social media BS or getting mobbed

remember the McDavid picture on the airport with fan that was a couple? :laugh:

...yup...richer, warmer, and anonymous...the chicken shytes...:laugh:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Players have become so greedy… When I read that a Canadian player doesn’t wanna play in Canada for no justified reason, it’s hard to respect that… and don’t give me that pressure or taxes BS… you don’t like pressure? Then you’re not in the right career. And regarding taxes, you’re paid MILLIONS to play a game - don’t get greedy. Besides, somethings in life are worth more than money. If I could play for my hometown team even at a discount, I would in a heartbeat.

Pretty Much. Agreed with everything :nod:

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
I have to say… duh.

Media, taxes, weather, scruitiny, privacy…

unless they’re winning. Remember how many team friendly deals Vancouver collected on their way to 2010-2011 for the cup run?
And now? Nah.
Montreal might be the exception this year, but I’m not so sure.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
canada has really gone down the tubes, comes as no surprise

Lmao, you realize there was a desire for a mass exodus from US just a year ago because of the president.

Anyways, one reason why players would desire to play in Canada is that they get paid in USD.

As a Canadian living in Canada and working for a US entity that gets paid USD, it's honestly the best thing ever.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
...we know them all from 8 year old Prodigies on, we're that tuned in...:thumbu:

...or maybe that's a slight exaggeration...:laugh:
Oh it’s definitely an exaggeration, I know that not every hockey fan in Canada is like that, but I’m sure that on average there are more Canadian fans like that there are American fans…and that’s the point I’m trying to make.

For some reason, old dumbass American fans prefer watching Baseball over Hockey and I definitely think there’s an opening for Hockey to take over for that shitty sport.

People want constant and real excitement and not 3 minutes of actual play time in a 4 hour span with a crappy sports like Baseball!

I wish the NHL actually had a competent Commissioner to raise Hockey’s profile, but instead we’re stuck with Bettman…who thinks that young fans will be drawn to freaking Macklemore and then embarrasses the League by putting on that shitty and super boring event last night.

If the NHL wants to progress the game, they need a new, innovative Commissioner in the worst way imaginable!!

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
I can’t blame them. The pressure has to be intense and the fans can be ruthless. Don’t know why anyone would play in Toronto with the way the fans are.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Lmao, you realize there was a desire for a mass exodus from US just a year ago because of the president.

Anyways, one reason why players would desire to play in Canada is that they get paid in USD.

As a Canadian living in Canada and working for a US entity that gets paid USD, it's honestly the best thing ever.
They should have all left. Would be a much better place down here.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
What's the social media aspect of that?

Hockey is life is Canada... the NHL is probably the biggest form of entertainment... front page news... first thing on the sports news show. In the US, NHL hockey is more like a hobby... not for all fans but moreso as a comparison to what NHL hockey is in Canada... you'd be lucky to get more than 5 minutes of hockey news in a 60 minute sports news show.

Fans are relentless in throwing shade at all of the players and for the most part those fans know shit... way worse than HF boards. ;)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I am sure you are correct, would be a strange thing for players to be concerned with. Players in bigger markets in the U.S must also deal with social media abuse though, idiot fans crossing the line can’t be only happening with Canadian based teams.

I think the disturbing stuff players deal with is possibly 5x or 10x as prevalent on the North side of the border.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Canadian players are the least patriotic in the league.
European players playing in Canada or the US usually return home when they retire.
America players playing in Canada usually return home.
Canadian players say a big f*** you to Canada and stay in the US.

Most have Canadian teams on their no trade list and the few that do return home do it when they're past their prime.

Tavares is an exception but that's probably because his wife works in the GTA.

Do people think Keith really wanted to go to Edmonton? Only reason is because of his son.

bov

Nov 13, 2010

As a Canadian who has preffered Canada over the US for about 98% of my existence, what's happened in Canada over the past couple years is a saddening disgrace and many feel the same way, including current athletes. It's no surprise whatsoever that NHLers don't want to sign there now, and there is plenty of division amongst Canadians as well on how the whole thing has been handled. They are not nearly as respected as a nation compared to just a couple years ago, and you are kidding yourself if you want to pretend Canada is desirable in its current state. Massive red flags all over the place, and I'm not talking about the Maple Leaf.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
No shit. Most players probably want some semblance of a normal life, and with the way Canada has reacted to the pandemic, I would think long and hard about signing anywhere up there anytime soon, especially long term. Quite a few people in denial here I see. Almost everything appealing about Canada from a lifestyle standpoint has become (temporarily) compromised from an athlete POV.
I’ll take that trade edit- forgot I’m not a 20 year old millionnaire for a sec though

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
Wait. Are you saying Canada reacted poorly to Covid? I get the restrictions aren't - and still aren't ideal, but Canada was similar to the rest of the first world countries in their serious approach -- except for one. I acknowledge my bias here, but I'd think long and hard about how that one country and it's people reacted to the pandemic.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Oh it’s definitely an exaggeration, I know that not every hockey fan in Canada is like that, but I’m sure that on average there are more Canadian fans like that there are American fans…and that’s the point I’m trying to make.

For some reason, old dumbass American fans prefer watching Baseball over Hockey and I definitely think there’s an opening for Hockey to take over for that shitty sport.

People want constant and real excitement and not 3 minutes of actual play time in a 4 hour span with a crappy sports like baseball!

I wish the NHL actually had a competent Commissioner to raise hockey’s profile, but instead we’re stuck with Bettman…who thinks that young fans will be drawn to freaking Macklemore and then embarrasses the League by putting on that shitty and super boring event last night.

If the NHL wants to progress the game, they need a new, innovative Commissioner in the worst way imaginable!!

...unpopular opinion; the average American fan has lesser attention span and "slower" sports like Baseball are easier to catch the action...we Canadians grew up on the High Speed sport of Hockey...they didn't, for the most part, and honestly can't keep up...why do you think Fox had that laser pointer on the puck way back when??...just my opinion, no Scientists were harmed in its making...:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad