Friedman: Players don’t want to sign in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
What's the social media aspect of that?

You risk fines or even possible jail time depending on certain anti language laws. Not sure pro athletes necessarily need to worry about this but in fact, Canada no longer has freedom of speech regarding numerous topics. I know political talk is banned on the site so there isn’t much more than can be said on this topic without it becoming that topic.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Nothing new players don't want the attention they get here and taxes weather etc. They blend in states no one knows them walking around there it's something that will never change. Taxes though are not as big of a deal as some think. California, NY and I'm sure other states have crushing taxes as well.

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I believe the stuff about taxes and restrictions. For Toronto, insiders have said Bogosian didn't want to re-sign because of the Canadian Covid restrictions.

Social media? I'm more doubtful. That sounds like more of a Toronto or Montreal complaint. You get that in any big market in sports, I don't think that's a Canadian problem. If you're playing in Winnipeg or Ottawa I don't think you're necessarily going to be a social media target.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Q0pVi0V.jpg

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
"social media" - what? what does that even mean?
"tighter pandemic restrictions" - okay, but that'll probably be a factor for at most one more season
"taxes" - yeah that checks out
some idiots think it's ok to message players/players families with shit talking or threats for any on ice mistake

Reactions: Cams

razor ray

May 8, 2011
I think its taxes, restrictions and living in a fishbowl. I remember a story of a player trying to go out to dinner with his wife and a few fans bothering him about a pass he made that they thought cost the game. I mean just look at how Toronto fans act on this board...love a player one day and want to shoot him to the moon the next.

Very few markets in America is a player going to be given any heat for mistakes. Most markets will not even know the players name unless they are a star. You have usually 2-3 other pro sports teams in the same town....and the NHL is almost never the most popular.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
NHL being on ESPN and TNT starting next season...will prolly start popularizing the big markets.

So teams like the Bruins, Rangers, Flyers, Blackhawks, Penguins, Capitals, etc....I think players will start feeling that there as well soon enough,

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I believe the stuff about taxes and restrictions. For Toronto, insiders have said Bogosian didn't want to re-sign because of the Canadian Covid restrictions.

Social media? I'm more doubtful. That sounds like more of a Toronto or Montreal complaint. You get that in any big market in sports, I don't think that's a Canadian problem.

You think they want thier 10 year old kids reading about what worthless pieces of #%@# they are day after day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad