Friedman: Players don’t want to sign in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Toxic fans
Plus there’s many major sports in America, so American fans usually have multiple avenues to spread their hate around to like Football, Basketball, and Baseball.

Besides for Toronto, all that the rest of Canada really has is hockey, so it’s just hockey 24/7.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
I believe the stuff about taxes and restrictions. For Toronto, insiders have said Bogosian didn't want to re-sign because of the Canadian Covid restrictions.

Social media? I'm more doubtful. That sounds like more of a Toronto or Montreal complaint. You get that in any big market in sports, I don't think that's a Canadian problem. If you're playing in Winnipeg or Ottawa I don't think you're necessarily going to be a social media target.

I am sure Adam Larsson might want to add Edmonton to that Social Media list.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
It's funny how Sutter & Jones are both in the article title. One guy who just got bought out, the other getting criticism for appearing to be on the decline.

It's easy to see why, but then you get players who love to play here. It goes both ways.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Good thing 43% of the NHL are Canadians who really don't have a problem living in Canada. Then you got your Fins and Swedes and Russians too.
I suspect a large majority of players that have an issue with living in Canada are Americans which comprise 28% of the league.
I can live with a few Americans not wanting to live in this beautiful country.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
I think its taxes, restrictions and living in a fishbowl. I remember a story of a player trying to go out to dinner with his wife and a few fans bothering him about a pass he made that they thought cost the game. I mean just look at how Toronto fans act on this board...love a player one day and want to shoot him to the moon the next.

Very few markets in America is a player going to be given any heat for mistakes. Most markets will not even know the players name unless they are a star. You have usually 2-3 other pro sports teams in the same town....and the NHL is almost never the most popular.
Nathan MacKinnon and Tyson Barrie got bottle service next to our table in Colorado and, besides me, nobody knew who they were or even approached them, so that checks out.

I heard that fans in Canada can recognize every 4th liner that gets called up from the AHL. I’m sure that’s cool at first…but that shit gets old quick!!

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Nathan MacKinnon and Tyson Barrie got bottle service next to our table in Colorado and, besides me, nobody knew who they were or even approached them, so that checks out.

I heard that fans in Canada can recognize every 4th liner that gets called up from the AHL. I’m sure that’s cool at first…but that shit gets old quick!!

...we know them all from 8 year old Prodigies on, we're that tuned in...:thumbu:

...or maybe that's a slight exaggeration...:laugh:

Reactions: Nihiliste

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
some idiots think it's ok to message players/players families with shit talking or threats for any on ice mistake
Can’t speak for everyone but Sens Twitter is absolutely toxic. Mark Borowiecki deleted his account a few years ago because of it, and in the last year Gudbranson and Wolanin both mentioned getting family members to delete accounts because of negativity.

Souker

Feb 10, 2020
Players have become so greedy… When I read that a Canadian player doesn’t wanna play in Canada for no justified reason, it’s hard to respect that… and don’t give me that pressure or taxes BS… you don’t like pressure? Then you’re not in the right career. And regarding taxes, you’re paid MILLIONS to play a game - don’t get greedy. Besides, somethings in life are worth more than money. If I could play for my hometown team even at a discount, I would in a heartbeat.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You risk fines or even possible jail time depending on certain anti language laws. Not sure pro athletes necessarily need to worry about this but in fact, Canada no longer has freedom of speech regarding numerous topics. I know political talk is banned on the site so there isn’t much more than can be said on this topic without it becoming that topic.

That is 100% not what the complaint is referring to. It's about negativity from fans. Athletes are not worried about facing jail time for their word choices.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Good thing 43% of the NHL are Canadians who really don't have a problem living in Canada. Then you got your Fins and Swedes and Russians too.
I suspect a large majority of players that have an issue with living in Canada are Americans which comprise 28% of the league.

You would be wrong.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
It's true that there are negatives that come with passionate fans, but there are also positives. The passionate fans bring a lot of excitement and generate interest in the sport. Passionate fans are like physical players in hockey, sometime they cross the line but it's pretty boring without them.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Sergachev was just recently quoted about him and his girlfriend getting threatened and insulted on social media during the finals by MTL "fans". Beautiful country, polite people everywhere:sarcasm:

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
That is 100% not what the complaint is referring to. It's about negativity from fans. Athletes are not worried about facing jail time for their word choices.

I am sure you are correct, would be a strange thing for players to be concerned with. Players in bigger markets in the U.S must also deal with social media abuse though, idiot fans crossing the line can’t be only happening with Canadian based teams.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Sergachev was just recently quoted about him and his girlfriend getting threatened and insulted on social media during the finals by MTL "fans". Beautiful country, polite people everywhere:sarcasm:
Have you heard Philly fans? They threatened Santa Clause!

Reactions: Devonator

Souker

Feb 10, 2020
There are bad apples everywhere. Although Sergachev is a class A douche, no one deserves that.

Reactions: amethyst

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
This isn't new news. They're just changing the reasons.

...well...not the taxes thing. That's always been our jam.

As for social media, maybe Canadian fanbases are a bit more ..rabid and it means more trolling and hate through social media?

They're pointing to or saying social media, but I think it's more then just that. As you said the fanbases are a little more rabid. And aside from a few big US franchises there's a LOT of them. That's going to translate into a lot more player/fan interactions. And while I suspect that these are mostly positive, even if the negative ones are only a small percentage, just due to raw numbers that would probably be pretty grating after a while. Add in fan expectations should a player have a rough game and everything else and I can see why players may prefer to play in the US.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
This isn't new news. They're just changing the reasons.

...well...not the taxes thing. That's always been our jam.

As for social media, maybe Canadian fanbases are a bit more ..rabid and it means more trolling and hate through social media?
Yes on the last bit, large portions of some fan bases seem to swing from intensely loyal on a win streak to decimating their own players for a two game lose streak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad