Players as famous as their equipment?

Lone Rogue

Sep 27, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
I see Stan Mikita's mentioned, but...

Nothing on the Bobby Hull banana blade? I grew up with my dad talking about how absolutely impossible it was to get the puck away from Bobby due to it, and the wicked shot it created. I used to have a banana stick for ball hockey on purpose, if I felt like I was playing against an unfair team. Yeah, it created an unfair advantage :)

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Any talk of any kind of jersey tuck should start and end with #99.

But I love Goring's helmet.

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
Petr Klima's helmet and the dryest jersey you'll ever see after a long playoff overtime game in the 1990 finals.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
Gerry Cheever's mask.
Craig Ludwig's shin pads.

The last goalie I remember wearing the old "Jason" style mask was Sam St. Laurent.

ObnoxiousPensFan*

Ken wregget's mask form the danny devito played Oswald Cobblepot(the penguin) from batman returns-best goalie mask in team history

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Ive always liked Tukka Rasks bright green pads. Not sure if he still uses them, but they were awesome. He isnt famous, but those pads were amazing

Dutch77

Predictable..
Jun 24, 2008
Shannahan wearing the same shoulder pads since he broke into the league, like Cherry shows it every other weekend on coach's corner.

The Jofa helmets stick out big time. I remember when Koslov got absolutely destroyed by Scott Stevens in 95, and the helmet was halfway off. **** looked ridiculous.

The curves in Jagr and Ovechkin's sticks.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Gilles Gratton

06-Gilles-Gratton-Mask.jpg

The guy was nuts and never played a whole heck of a lot in the NHL but his mask is legendary.

trevchar1971

Jun 1, 2006
For me it's Gerry Cheever's mask, Butch Goring's helmet, Gretz's jersey tuck, Hasek's cage mask, and Petr Klima's god-awful helmet.

The Dave

Jan 25, 2007
Red Deer
Arturs Irbe in that greasy old mask he used to wear takes the cake for me. Gretzky and his jofa helmet are pretty close too though.

Mad Habber

Jul 5, 2006
Haha for sure. thats funny. but seriously its probably one of the best haircuts... ever:yo:

Not as good as Kerry Fraser. Never a hair out of place.

As far as Butch Goring is concerned. A friend and I used to joke around that it was just leather straps tied together that he would spray paint between road games and home games. He only owned the one helmet.

And if we're talking hair, I can't believe no one mentioned Guy, Guy, Guy. That receding hairline because he just skated faster than his hair.

Flyboy34

Registered Something
Jul 7, 2003
33,000 FT
Arturs Irbe in his beat-up, ancient, Koho pads. Which he had refurbed by Eagle. Also, the old Jofa helmet which is now a collectible.

irbeartursCRL001.jpg

irbe.jpg

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Darren Pang was the first goalie I remember wearing the white pads:

pang80.jpg

They're a little beat up already in that picture. I remember when I first saw them they were snow white.

Bumjoo Wang*

Arturs Irbe in his beat-up, ancient, Koho pads. Which he had refurbed by Eagle. Also, the old Jofa helmet which is now a collectible.

I remember reading, that when they stopped making these helmets, Irbe actually bought the few of them that they had left in stock, so he wouldn't have to switch to anything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad