Player who won't make big club, but you're most excited about

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
SDA is already Marner lite. He gonna be crazy good in 2-3 years.

"SDA is already Marner lite"

NAMEDRAFT
PRE-DRAFT
SEASON
GAMES
PLAYED
GOALSASSISTSPOINTS
Marner
2014-15 | OHL
SDA
2017-18 | OHL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

SDA is a LONG way from Marner comparisons...

I'm not saying it can't be done - but Marners OHL stats are better than most 1st overall picks.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Really liking Engvall since he came over. He's definitely the biggest under-the-radar prospect for me. Crazy that they managed to get him and Johnsson in the 7th round.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I think it's kind of scary to think that a team that has Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Rielly, Kadri, Dermott, while supplanting that with Johnsson and Kapanen also has great pieces like SDA (high potential), Sandin, Liljegren AND Grundstrom just waiting in the wings.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey

NAMEDRAFT
PRE-DRAFT
SEASON
GAMES
PLAYED
GOALSASSISTSPOINTS
Marner
2014-15 | OHL
SDA
2017-18 | OHL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I'm not saying it can't be done - but Marners OHL stats are better than most 1st overall picks.
Highly doubt the comparison is about stats. SDA has a tremendous ability at being shifty in tight spaces, elite vision, and considers himself strictly a playmaking centreman. He's all skill which is what Shanahan/Dubas and the Maple Leafs build around.

He moves like a Marner-lite on the ice and his boyish looks only strengthen the comparison. We all hope for the best for SDA. Seems like a great kid who loves the game and is committed to getting better by getting stronger and developing his shot as well.

He knows he has time and all the tools at his helm to make the NHL. Time will tell. We got so many great young kids, what a time to be a Toronto Maple Leafs fan.

Reactions: Its not your fault

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
I really like SDA, he seems very intelligent on the puck and makes very intelligent simple plays- I cant say i saw the whole "Mitch-Lite" thing, I think SDA will generate offense in a different way- his decisions and plays don't seem to generate offense directly (eg, hes not making a through the legs saucer pass for the tap in) instead its like he puts the line in position ready to make the play.
I don't know if that makes any sense, its just the impression I got.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
It was very unfortunate Marchment was injured because I think he would've impressed. Doubt he would've made the team straight out of camp but he would have made an impression

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Grundstrum
Sandin
Liljegren

I dont think Liljegren will make his debut in a Leafs uniform though. My gut says trade, as early as next offseason for a bigger Piece
Trading our best prospect at our biggest position of need a season before he might be ready to come up seems like the worst idea of all time.

Reactions: exporta and kb

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Definitely SDA. So much untapped potential there. He looks like he's in the middle of puberty, which means more growth. I'm really looking forward to his CHL season.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It was very unfortunate Marchment was injured because I think he would've impressed. Doubt he would've made the team straight out of camp but he would have made an impression

Getting injured is now looking like a trend for Marchment. He has to be a robust player to have any chance to graduate to the NHL level. It's too bad because he has some attributes that it would nice to have available against certain opponents.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I think it's kind of scary to think that a team that has Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Rielly, Kadri, Dermott, while supplanting that with Johnsson and Kapanen also has great pieces like SDA (high potential), Sandin, Liljegren AND Grundstrom just waiting in the wings.

It isn't scary to this fan, it's reassuring for the time when some of the better talent gets priced out of town in the reality of a salary cap world.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

I wouldn't put Kapanen and Grundstrom in the "kind of scary" catagory. I don't know what happened to Johnsson, but he's not really all that impactful yet in pre-season.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Sandin - looks like he has top pairing potential as a steadier defensive presence. More of a Stralman type than an offensive Shattenkirk type, which is exactly what we need.

Liljegren - probably has a higher offensive ceiling than Sandin, but isn't as polished in his decision making. I think the whole year in the AHL would be good for him.

Grundstrom - Good mix of skill/size, which we largely lack on the wing up front.

Gordeev - He can skate very well for his size. Hasn't pulled it together, but the pieces seem to be there to become an NHLer. Getting a 6'6 NHL defenceman that can skate would add a dimension we don't have back there.

SDA - obviously very skilled and also very young for his draft class. I'm hoping for a big year from him.

Durzi - RHD that's generally pretty solid all-around, and put up some very very good offensive numbers last year.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I wouldn't put Kapanen and Grundstrom in the "kind of scary" catagory. I don't know what happened to Johnsson, but he's not really all that impactful yet in pre-season.

I am chalking it up purely to pre-season. We have seen how they play in the playoffs. I am certain than during the start of the regular season, they will come out guns ablazing. I do agree that Grundstrom does need a bit more development, hence why I think he makes the team next year, but he's literally in the perfect mould for either Matthews or Tavares line. Good skater, grinding down low, good vision and good finishing. He could either fit in as a secondary skilled grinder with Matthews, or a skilled grinder to get Tavares and Marner the puck. Either way, there's lots of options now.

It isn't scary to this fan, it's reassuring for the time when some of the better talent gets priced out of town in the reality of a salary cap world.

I mean, it's pretty obvious no matter what happens (unless we get the big three on ridiculously good contracts and the cap goes up to 90 a lot faster than assumed) that there will be some lost talent. That's why the next two seasons are so important for the overall window. Go in with all this talent on ELC's (and supported by Tavares) and then there will be a loss of certain guys who will then have to be replaced by cheaper ELC guys like AJ, Kapanen, Grundstrom, Liljegren etc. It's a cycle.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

NAMEDRAFT
PRE-DRAFT
SEASON
GAMES
PLAYED
GOALSASSISTSPOINTS
Marner
2014-15 | OHL
SDA
2017-18 | OHL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I agree he shouldn't be lumped into Marner category yet. But he is a prospect to be excited about.

With SDA having such a late bday this past season could be viewed as more comparable to most players seasons 2 seasons prior to draft. That completely changed the look of his draft year stats.

Marner was 5 months older all year his draft year. Kadri 11 months. Brayden Point 6 months. Even 5 months is a huge difference at that age.

SDA also didn't play on a good team which meant harder competition, not inflated stats, etc.

Reactions: kb

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Sandin - looks like he has top pairing potential as a steadier defensive presence. More of a Stralman type than an offensive Shattenkirk type, which is exactly what we need.

Liljegren - probably has a higher offensive ceiling than Sandin, but isn't as polished in his decision making. I think the whole year in the AHL would be good for him.

Grundstrom - Good mix of skill/size, which we largely lack on the wing up front.

Gordeev - He can skate very well for his size. Hasn't pulled it together, but the pieces seem to be there to become an NHLer. Getting a 6'6 NHL defenceman that can skate would add a dimension we don't have back there.

SDA - obviously very skilled and also very young for his draft class. I'm hoping for a big year from him.

Durzi - RHD that's generally pretty solid all-around, and put up some very very good offensive numbers last year.
Maybe flip Grundstrom with Bracco and we have the same list! I'm happy that you mentioned Gordeev as well. He's more of a long-term project, but I've been impressed with him so far. I also like Durzi. I know he's a controversial pick, but I'm very confident that he's going to win people over by the end of the year.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Trevor Moore. May not be as skilled as a Bracco or Sandin, but I like his work ethic and as a possible replacement for Hyman or Brown after their contracts are up, or an injury call up this season. I like what he brings. Potentially playing with Tavares and Marner tonight, so it will give us a peek at his effectiveness with skilled guys.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
It's 2018. Most of us don't care what Grapes says about Europeans.
I think he's referring to name pronouciation. Grapes will have a stroke trying to say SDA. That aside, he has impressed me and bracco has also been a pleasant surprise. Engvall is my #1 for expectations vs. On ice product

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad