Player Talk: Anthony Mantha

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
If he is able to maintain the same level of production over the last 5 games, he would finish the season with 25 goals and 27 assists...if my math is correct. That would be 25 goals and 52 points in 67 games.

I know some people hate “pace” but that would put him on an 82 game pace of: 30.5 goals, 33 assists, which puts him in that 65 point territory.

I’m entirely serious when he should be pushing 35 goals next year. He is an incredible talent when he’s on.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I mean, it’s games like tonight is why I’m so high on the guy and why I have such high hopes for him

He’s unstoppable on nights like the one he had.

That last play off of his dive is indicative of why

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
For a guy with his size and talent. Yeah he was mediocre. I guess its not THAT bad.

He was at least defensively responsible and not a burden. Wasn’t like he was useless.

Yeah, I’ll take that while him finding his game. He was also hurt for a month so there was no “other 70 odd games” for him.

Shows how little you pay attention

Reactions: Sentinel

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I knew everyone would get wet for his hattrick. And it was great. Showed an amazing shot several times and good positioning. I'd love for him to do that more often. But its not like he got those goals because he worked harder for them. Its still the same Mantha. All the talent and skill in the world with little work ethic. If he could do that consistently, it would be enoughu for him to just score goals.

But he doesnt. And its really hard to see him turning that corner.

Reactions: hkydave04

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I knew everyone would get wet for his hattrick. And it was great. Showed an amazing shot several times and good positioning. I'd love for him to do that more often. But its not like he got those goals because he worked harder for them. Its still the same Mantha. All the talent and skill in the world with little work ethic. If he could do that consistently, it would be enoughu for him to just score goals.

I didn’t get wet over anything.

I’ve been a huge supporter of his since he was drafted. And I’ve never doubted his ability. See: all of my Mantha posts

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

That’s a great thing to take away from the 5 game stretch where he’s got 12 points.

And to say he hasn’t worked harder during the 5 game stretch is asinine; you’re either oblivious or you aren’t watching his play shift to shift.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
25 goals/22 assists in 67 games isn't a bad season. Over 82 games thats 30 goals and 27 assists. The last 15-20 games he really started showing his potential. I could see him with 35/35/70 next year if he's healthy and the defensive core improves.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
25 goals/22 assists in 67 games isn't a bad season. Over 82 games thats 30 goals and 27 assists. The last 15-20 games he really started showing his potential. I could see him with 35/35/70 next year if he's healthy and the defensive core improves.

two magic words

he will always be pretty inconsistent, and we will always have kind of a hate/love relastionship with him. personally, i think he's an awesome player

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
two magic words

he will always be pretty inconsistent, and we will always have kind of a hate/love relastionship with him. personally, i think he's an awesome player
I think he's awesome, and pretty much every great goal scorer is a little inconsistent. Plus, if he ever gets hot in the playoffs like he did to close out the year, thats the kind of performance that can win you a playoff series or two

Reactions: turkleton85

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
two magic words

I think a lot of his inconsistency this season was centered around a hand injury, which can really affect a goal scorer. I hope that the last 20 games are what he really is.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think a lot of his inconsistency this season was centered around a hand injury, which can really affect a goal scorer. I hope that the last 20 games are what he really is.

Shit, if he can channel that level of play consistently, we’re talking about a perennial all star. I just looked at his numbers over the last 25 games this season, and he finished with 13 goals and 14 assists. 0.52 goals per game and 0.56 assists per game translates to an 82 game level of 42-43 goals and 46 assists. So he’d be knocking on the door of a 40 goal, 90 point season. I think that’s extremely optimistic, but screw it, I’m on board.

digitaljohn

Osgood As It Gets
Jun 1, 2008
****, if he can channel that level of play consistently, we’re talking about a perennial all star. I just looked at his numbers over the last 25 games this season, and he finished with 13 goals and 14 assists. 0.52 goals per game and 0.56 assists per game translates to an 82 game level of 42-43 goals and 46 assists. So he’d be knocking on the door of a 40 goal, 90 point season. I think that’s extremely optimistic, but screw it, I’m on board.

I'm already confident he'll be a ppg player on a decent team with an offense that clicks. We'll see how everything gels next year.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I'm already confident he'll be a ppg player on a decent team with an offense that clicks. We'll see how everything gels next year.

I’m as big of a Mantha optimist as you’ll find on the board, but I’ve never had him pegged as a point per game player. Maybe he approaches it at his high water mark, but he struck me as a guy with the talent to hang around 35-40 goals and 30-35 assists any given year at his peak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad