Player Discussion: Trevor Moore

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
How disrespectful for Moore to wear a number that should have been honoured.

:sarcasm:

I think there was a deliberate thinking behind Moore being #42

Both 'free wallets' and both went to Denver.

Bit of a way of saying 'hey, we've help someone become a career NHL'er in the same situation as you before, we believe in you.'

Reactions: Antropovsky

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Be great for Moore if he can develop a shootout % akin to that of Bozak. I like him much better than Brown. I don't think anyone on the team can replace Hyman.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Brown makes 2.1M next season then he needs to be resigned

If you sub in Moore in for him at 750K and he can do exactly the same job (perhaps better) save 1.4M and get assets for him you bet your ass you should do it

Surprising enough if you trim 1.5M here and there it starts to add up to real money very quickly

The fact it saves you from doing something stupid like trading Nylander is just an added bonus

Since when has Moore shown he is as effective a defensive player on the PK as Brown is?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Brown makes 2.1M next season then he needs to be resigned

If you sub in Moore in for him at 750K and he can do exactly the same job (perhaps better) save 1.4M and get assets for him you bet your ass you should do it

Surprising enough if you trim 1.5M here and there it starts to add up to real money very quickly

The fact it saves you from doing something stupid like trading Nylander is just an added bonus

"If you sub..." If being the key word there. FYI, Moore has arbitration rights next year and he's played all of 5 games in the NHL so far against 4th liners. Where else are you going to trim $1.5 mil from to make your team work at all levels?

Sounds like you want at team built around a few players 6-11 mil whether they are worth it or not and ensure the team can't pay the majority of players over a million who have little NHL experience and are untested for whole seasons and then replaced when they look like they are going to cost more than a mil. Sure. that will work, just not in the real world, as it is unsustainable.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I believe Moore is one of the Marlies' top penalty killers.

Then good luck resigning him for league minimum as he will be arbitration eligible next year (unlike Johnsson, for instance, who wasn't arbitration eligible when he signed for this year).

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
It's only his first few games and he has already shown better hockey sense than both johnsson and kapanen. Seems well suited already to the split-second decision making of the NHL.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Great work ethic, fast and can score. Even Cherry likes him.
A good Yankee NCAA type non- thug with skill
Not a good Canadian kid penalty box sitter that so many crave and look fondly upon the Broad Street Bullies on film
"Moore is a very gifted stickhandler and has the creativity to match his soft hands. Has excellent hockey sense and likes to generate offense from down low, especially from behind the net.
(Peter Oundjian, EP 2018)"Trevor Moore at eliteprospects.com and maybe he can do some of this trough force of will
Better than a good Canadian brawler bringing penalty box sitting to the Leafs or some Hunter named Tim

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
A good Yankee NCAA type non- thug with skill
Not a good Canadian kid penalty box sitter that so many crave and look fondly upon the Broad Street Bullies on film
"Moore is a very gifted stickhandler and has the creativity to match his soft hands. Has excellent hockey sense and likes to generate offense from down low, especially from behind the net.
(Peter Oundjian, EP 2018)"Trevor Moore at eliteprospects.com and maybe he can do some of this trough force of will
Better than a good Canadian brawler bringing penalty box sitting to the Leafs or some Hunter named Tim
lame

Reactions: AreBe

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I think there was a deliberate thinking behind Moore being #42

Both 'free wallets' and both went to Denver.

Bit of a way of saying 'hey, we've help someone become a career NHL'er in the same situation as you before, we believe in you.'

Neat connection

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Since when has Moore shown he is as effective a defensive player on the PK as Brown is?

He's on the 2nd unit of the Marlies PK

We also have Lindholm, Marner, Tavares, Hyman and Kapanen, it's taken care of either way

You see paying 4th line wingers 2M+ is pointless and a waste of cap dollars, Brown should be one of the first people out of the door in a cap crunch

"If you sub..." If being the key word there. FYI, Moore has arbitration rights next year and he's played all of 5 games in the NHL so far against 4th liners. Where else are you going to trim $1.5 mil from to make your team work at all levels?

Sounds like you want at team built around a few players 6-11 mil whether they are worth it or not and ensure the team can't pay the majority of players over a million who have little NHL experience and are untested for whole seasons and then replaced when they look like they are going to cost more than a mil. Sure. that will work, just not in the real world, as it is unsustainable.

Moore won't make **** all next season, he's getting bridged and doesn't have anything to back him getting decent money

You have Zaitsev making 4.5M and playing at a 1M level, that's 3.5M right there, holy **** I just saved 5M between him and Brown, I'm a ****** genius

So you want to ditch the high end talent like Nylander that can actually drive a line so you can give money to plugs like Brown? Great plan, we should trade Marner while were at it, he's going to make a ton of money and think how many Browns and Hyman's you can get then?

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

He’s not going to get much at arbitration. Maybe s couple extra hundred thousand.

If they can pair Brown with a pick and grab a reliable #4 vetvD man they need to jump on it.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Why are fans so confused by the number 42. Gee, don't how many Leafs fans confused John Kordic with Daryl Sittler, both wore 27.

Moore continues to play like this....Lindholm at centre, Gauthier sits and Ennis gets waived

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Moore will be replace Brown or Marleau at lower money. That is the way it is in the CAP world. Sucks but true.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Then good luck resigning him for league minimum as he will be arbitration eligible next year (unlike Johnsson, for instance, who wasn't arbitration eligible when he signed for this year).

Well it won't be league minimum because his qualifying offer has to be at least 105% of his current $925,000. But I doubt he'll get much more than that in arbitration. He probably won't even elect for arbitration because that means the team can choose a 2 year deal. He's best off on a one-year deal, which will likely just be his qualifying offer.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Why are fans so confused by the number 42. Gee, don't how many Leafs fans confused John Kordic with Daryl Sittler, both wore 27.

Moore continues to play like this....Lindholm at centre, Gauthier sits and Ennis gets waived

He has worn #46 and I think Lou made him change it to #9 on the Marlies last year

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Well it won't be league minimum because his qualifying offer has to be at least 105% of his current $925,000. But I doubt he'll get much more than that in arbitration. He probably won't even elect for arbitration because that means the team can choose a 2 year deal. He's best off on a one-year deal, which will likely just be his qualifying offer.

A guy like Moore would likely give up dollars on a short term deal if he was given a roster spot on the big club. He’s looking for a foot in the door first and foremost.

Reactions: Kiwi

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If he gets a 2 year guaranteed nhl money deal at $675K per then he takes it and runs ... leafs will be looking for 4th liners at league minimum next season

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
A guy like Moore would likely give up dollars on a short term deal if he was given a roster spot on the big club. He’s looking for a foot in the door first and foremost.

He will definitely take his qualifying offer and $971,000 is hardly going to keep him off our roster.

If the Leafs choose not to qualify him there will be plenty of teams that will let him stick his whole leg through the door.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He made $70K past 2 seasons with Marlies. You think if Leafs offered him $675K guaranteed for next 2 years with Leafs he would say no. Are you crazy?

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
I keep hearing people say oh we are going to move a Zaitsev or a Marleau etc. Quick 10.5m off the books. But who will take those contracts and if so were going to have to take money back. I could see Brown easily moved for a pick or prospect.

Guys like Moore & Gauthier will be perfect for 4th line next year at league minimum. Me wonders if Lindholm will even be back. $975K?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I keep hearing people say oh we are going to move a Zaitsev or a Marleau etc. Quick 10.5m off the books. But who will take those contracts and if so were going to have to take money back. I could see Brown easily moved for a pick or prospect.

Guys like Moore & Gauthier will be perfect for 4th line next year at league minimum. Me wonders if Lindholm will even be back. $975K?

I don't see the Goat here, at this time next season, he will be gone

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Something I wrote today: HockeyIntangibles: Cors Takes Volume 4: Trevor Moore is important, The NHL finally listened, and the Leafs Backup Situation

Here's the full part of the Trevor Moore part, so you don't need to click unless you absolutely want to :)

Trevor Moore

Trevor Moore has made quiet the impact in his five NHL games thus far. The 23 year old has 3 points in 5 games thus far, including scoring a dazzling goal - his first of his NHL career - in a 5-0 win over the Vancouver Canucks. Trevor Moore joined the Leafs organization after signing an Entry Level Contract with the Maple Leafs in the summer of 2016, after finishing his time at the University of Denver. Coincidentally, that is similar to the last Leafs player to wear #42, Tyler Bozak, who went on to play nearly 600 games for the Leafs, before joining St Louis this summer.

However Trevor Moore is actually fairly important. Why? Well he can add confidence to the process that Kyle Dubas and Brandon Shanahan has in place, especially heading into next season, where the Leafs have Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner, Kasperi Kapanen, and Andreas Johnsson all to sign to likely big contracts. So what does Trevor Moore have to do with that?

Starting next season, the Maple Leafs won't be able to afford the expensive role players to surround their stars with. Connor Brown at over 2M on the cap to play 4th line minutes and the penalty kill will be a luxury Kyle Dubas and Mike Babcock will almost certainly need to part with. Kyle Dubas is likely going to have to found out a way to maneuver Patrick Marleau's 6.25M cap hit for next season, as Marleau has found himself struggling beside Matthews this season, and has largely played beside Nazem Kadri on the Leafs third line. Jake Gardiner, who makes 4.25M on the Leafs second pairing, and his next contract will likely be in the 5-6M range per season, will be someone the Leafs are forced to walk away from.

So seeing a player like Trevor Moore, who was undrafted out of University, make a name for himself through his first 3 seasons in the organization, and now impress at his chance in the NHL, can give Kyle Dubas and Mike Babcock the confidence that they can part with a Connor Brown from their fourth line, knowing a player like Trevor Moore can come in and play the same role, for around 900K instead of 2.1M.

It shows that as long as Leafs management and coaching staff don't get too attached to the role players on the team, such as Connor Brown, Zach Hyman, & Patrick Marleau, they can replace them with younger, cheaper options in the upcoming seasons, such as Trevor Moore, prospects Carl Grundstrom, Pierre Engvall, & Jeremy Bracco and another player Dubas has brought up through the ranks, Mason Marchment. Eventually replacing Jake Gardiner, Nikita Zaitsev and Ron Hainsey, with prospects like Timothy Liljegren, and Rasmus Sandin, and/or players like Colle Rosen, or Andreas Borgman.

Signings like Tyler Ennis to a league minimum deal, which Ennis made worth it in the first half of the season before breaking ankle goes towards this goal as well. Depth signings like Ennis are just as important as developing undrafted players like Moore & Marchment

Then the process restarts, and the Leafs would need to work on finding the next replacements for those players.

Kyle Dubas, and this process can allow the Toronto Maple Leafs to confidently keep Mitch Marner, Auston Matthews, William Nylander, Kasperi Kapanen, Morgan Rielly, Nazem Kadri, Andreas Johnsson, & Travis Dermott moving forward, and Trevor Moore is a big indicator of how they can manage to do so.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad