Player Discussion: Trevor Moore

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I keep hearing people say oh we are going to move a Zaitsev or a Marleau etc. Quick 10.5m off the books. But who will take those contracts and if so were going to have to take money back. I could see Brown easily moved for a pick or prospect.

Guys like Moore & Gauthier will be perfect for 4th line next year at league minimum. Me wonders if Lindholm will even be back. $975K?

Marleau won't get traded because of that NMC. Zaitsev can and should be traded. Teams like Arizona have proven in the past that they'll take the burden of the contract if they receive an asset as well. I don't think Arizona will be doing it anymore because they're not in that phase anymore. But the next rebuilding team will. Trade Zaitsev + 2nd + B level prospect (Aka a Brooks level prospect) for cheap. Also, isn't the NHL cap floor going to increase next season a lot? A lot of rebuilding teams will need to hit that floor.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Solid write up. Thanks.

One thing though. Do you not think they can get a 2 year deal done with Moore closer to the league minimum?
I think they definitely can get a deal closer to that and just like what the article says, those cheap almost league minimum deals are going to be very handy for the Leafs.

Reactions: Menzinger

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Solid write up. Thanks.

One thing though. Do you not think they can get a 2 year deal done with Moore closer to the league minimum?

I think they definitely can get a deal closer to that and just like what the article says, those cheap almost league minimum deals are going to be very handy for the Leafs.

Possibly. Somewhere in the 700-900K.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Solid write up. Thanks.

He's signed this year for $925K, just qualifying him will cost $971K. Mabye he goes for a Marincin like one way deal, maybe not. Doubtful he's signed for league minimum, though.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Lindholm is a pending UFA, and Gauthier is signed through 2020. How many more centers do we have in the org to replace them both?
Lindholm will be signed and Brooks is going to be a good one, I'm very impressed with Brooks, very smart player, hunts the puck down like Marner, great 2 way game

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
Marleau won't get traded because of that NMC. Zaitsev can and should be traded. Teams like Arizona have proven in the past that they'll take the burden of the contract if they receive an asset as well. I don't think Arizona will be doing it anymore because they're not in that phase anymore. But the next rebuilding team will. Trade Zaitsev + 2nd + B level prospect (Aka a Brooks level prospect) for cheap. Also, isn't the NHL cap floor going to increase next season a lot? A lot of rebuilding teams will need to hit that floor.
Hoping we pull a washington and Orpik Marleau even tho it's unlikely.

Wouldn't mind having both Moore and Hyman in the lineup at the same time

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Hoping we pull a washington and Orpik Marleau even tho it's unlikely.

Wouldn't mind having both Moore and Hyman in the lineup at the same time

I really don't think they'll do that. There's too much politics when it comes to this type of stuff. Even though we'd be much better off without Marleau's contract (especially since he's not even close to worth it), no one in Leafs management Dubas included would be ok with cutting him off when he left SJ specifically to contend.

The only loophole I could see (this is a far, far stretch that should be one of the last resorts) is if they trade Marleau + an asset now to a tanking team to buy out, and then re-sign Marleau for a cheapass contract.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I really don't think they'll do that. There's too much politics when it comes to this type of stuff. Even though we'd be much better off without Marleau's contract (especially since he's not even close to worth it), no one in Leafs management Dubas included would be ok with cutting him off when he left SJ specifically to contend.

The only loophole I could see (this is a far, far stretch that should be one of the last resorts) is if they trade Marleau + an asset now to a tanking team to buy out, and then re-sign Marleau for a cheapass contract.
That's exactly what he's saying by Orpik Marleau

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
How's buddy looked? Will he ever be a solid 2nd liner or strictly 4th liner dude.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

The Orpik route will most likely happen or they will literally blow the league up with a NBA type trade where they trade Marleau to a team and trade him back but the other team retained half his salary.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
My Winger Rankings: 1. Marner 2. Willy 3. Kap 4. Hyman 5. AJ 6. Moore 7. Ennis 8. Brown 9. Marleau

He's a solid middle 6 winger right now and he's stuck behind Marleau and Brown unfortunately.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He has more value next year than he does this year.

He isn't better than Brown despite what this board says at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->