Player Discussion: Trevor Moore

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Moore could easily replace Marleau on the 3rd line. His hunger, energy, compete level, puck presssure, jam is far superior to Marleau. Moore is explosive in his first few strides, something Connor Brown doesnt have. Moore's motor appears to be Brown, Hyman level. Id be sweating a bit if im Brown or Johnsson. Brown is more explosive better skater than Brown and that Moore is a different type of player they dont really have. Moore is excellent every single shift. His worker role might compliment Matthews or Kadri. Tavares has Hyman. Kadri has no dedicated worker. I wonder if Johnnson is being showcased on the first line? He does not suit the worker role on that line. Matthews-Nylander need a worker with some jam who hunts pucks, offense is a bonus.

Last edited:

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
I watched him a lot in the Marlie playoffs last year. This guy has improved a ton. He must have had an NHL summer for sure.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I watched him a lot in the Marlie playoffs last year. This guy has improved a ton. He must have had an NHL summer for sure.

Hes in fantastic shape. Leafs have a lot of players who are physically great shape.

Dermott, Borgman, are in elite shape, Moore might be in the category too.
Marner, Matthews, nylander, Rielly are in good shape for the young stars.

Joseph Woll is in fantastic shape.

Not sure if all of the nhl is moving in this direction, or if it’s just that the leafs are focusing in more on these sort of players.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Hes in fantastic shape. Leafs have a lot of players who are physically great shape.

Dermott, Borgman, are in elite shape, Moore might be in the category too.
Marner, Matthews, nylander, Rielly are in good shape for the young stars.

Joseph Woll is in fantastic shape.

Not sure if all of the nhl is moving in this direction, or if it’s just that the leafs are focusing in more on these sort of players.
Unless your gifted like Kessel, pretty much 99% of pro hockey players are in elite shape

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I love it when these guys make me look smart, and I love the way Trevor Moore plays hockey. Despite the slow start last year it was pretty clear that he was going to be knocking on the door

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
so happy to see the one thing I was worried about - his skating - is actually a strength at the NHL level, not a weakness.

I already like him better than hyman.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I didn't enjoy him in pre-season, I felt he avoided physical contact. He has been very good in the NHL.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I didn't enjoy him in pre-season, I felt he avoided physical contact. He has been very good in the NHL.

He has really turned it up a notch in the second half of last season, something clicked in his mind and he has been on an upward climb since. Brooks seems to have turned it up a notch now, he is impressive on the Marlies, chasing the puck down like Marner, smart player

Reactions: WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He has really turned it up a notch in the second half of last season, something clicked in his mind and he has been on an upward climb since. Brooks seems to have turned it up a notch now, he is impressive on the Marlies, chasing the puck down like Marner, smart player

Adam Brooks will be 23 in May, he kind of needs to be in a position to grab a roster spot next training camp. Marchment will be 24 years old. We're churning out a lot of talent lately. It will be easier to move guys like Connor Brown if cheaper replacements are coming in.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Trevor Moore's unlikely rise helped make Josh Leivo...
His unlikely rise is what helped make Josh Leivo expendable when the Leafs shipped him to Vancouver early last month.

Who would know better what Moore had to offer than Kyle Dubas?

Dubas was the guy who, as Marlies GM, plucked Moore from Denver and then watched him grow into one of the most important players on a Calder Cup champion. Moore finished the AHL postseason last June with more points (17 in 20 games) than any Marlie but Andrea Johnsson, the playoff MVP. He was a shifty, tenacious ball of energy who looked like he might one day be capable of scratching out a job with the Leafs.

But he was hardly guaranteed that opportunity — this year or maybe ever. For Moore it had to be earned, which is really how it’s been for the 23-year-old every step of the way.
Moore remembers his dad driving him the two hours, from Thousand Oaks to Orange County, for hockey practice when he was a kid. He didn’t get drafted into the NHL either — probably because he was too small, though he’s not exactly sure why. And even though he got a full scholarship to Denver, a top school for hockey, Moore didn’t crack the power play right away and heard it straight from his coach, Jim Montgomery, that he needed to prove himself beyond the score-sheet if he ever hoped to play in the NHL.

“Well, you’re not necessarily always going to be a skill guy if you’re gonna make it to the NHL right?” Montgomery, who’s now the head coach of the Dallas Stars, would say.

That meant becoming a ferocious forechecker. It meant doing things right away from the puck. It meant becoming a vigilant penalty killer, especially for Keefe over the last season and a half with the Marlies. It meant doing things right and earning the next opportunity.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Johnsson Tavares Marner
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Moore Kadri Kapanen
Ennis Marleau Brown
Lindholm Gauthier

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Adam Brooks will be 23 in May, he kind of needs to be in a position to grab a roster spot next training camp. Marchment will be 24 years old. We're churning out a lot of talent lately. It will be easier to move guys like Connor Brown if cheaper replacements are coming in.

It will be more important to move guys who have 6-7 million dollar cap hits and likely necessary. Won't really be much of a savings replacing Brown, whose reliable for 30 points a season for just 2mil of an 83mil cap. And as an arbitration eligible player net year your net savings off of Brown is likely just a mil. Sorry, that's not going to be enough.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It will be more important to move guys who have 6-7 million dollar cap hits and likely necessary. Won't really be much of a savings replacing Brown, whose reliable for 30 points a season for just 2mil of an 83mil cap. And as an arbitration eligible player net year your net savings off of Brown is likely just a mil. Sorry, that's not going to be enough.

Brown makes 2.1M next season then he needs to be resigned

If you sub in Moore in for him at 750K and he can do exactly the same job (perhaps better) save 1.4M and get assets for him you bet your ass you should do it

Surprising enough if you trim 1.5M here and there it starts to add up to real money very quickly

The fact it saves you from doing something stupid like trading Nylander is just an added bonus

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Probably 2-3 players ideally.

Brown
Marleau
Zaitsev

Not really worth their respective salaries. Props to Z for stepping up a bit more defensively lately but still not comfortable with that contract long term.

Brown makes 2.1M next season then he needs to be resigned

If you sub in Moore in for him at 750K and he can do exactly the same job (perhaps better) save 1.4M and get assets for him you bet your ass you should do it

Surprising enough if you trim 1.5M here and there it starts to add up to real money very quickly

The fact it saves you from doing something stupid like trading Nylander is just an added bonus

Also valid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad