Player Discussion: Petr Mrazek

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Expectations were high but its also hard for a goalie to succeed on a team with this poor of a roster. You have to be Luongo, Price or even Hasek level of skill to have a good season on a team like this. I would like to see Mrazek with a legit team in front of him before anyone gives up.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Mrazek's Gustavsson syndrome is concerning. I believe he can still be a great goaltender but don't know if his sporadic positioning will get better or worse over time.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Was driving today and on the radio they made mention of Holland saying he has a really difficult decision to make about which goaltender to protect? Is there really a chance we protect Howard and lose Mrazek? Yikes...

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Was driving today and on the radio they made mention of Holland saying he has a really difficult decision to make about which goaltender to protect? Is there really a chance we protect Howard and lose Mrazek? Yikes...

Welp that's not concerning at all

05onfire1_xp-facebookJumbo.jpg

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

same interview where he talked about not packaging anything with guys to move contracts off the team? It was not an interview that filled me with much confidence for this team moving in any direction.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
It sucks Jimmy is good but cant stay healthy and is over paid. And a ****** team has got in peter head. I say we have to protect peter but he plays better when being pushed by the other goalie. So we need to get a good back up.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

Not really surprised considering Mrazek hasn't really done anything other than being younger and healthier that would make the decision any easier.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Regardless if he turns it around and gets his numbers back up, this season has really turned him into a player I don't like.

The results aren't necessarily his fault and it certainly pays off some times, but his aggressiveness eventually resulting in wide-open nets drove me absolutely crazy. I don't think I've ever seen so many instances of a goalie outside of his crease on one side of the net as the puck is on the other side

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Yes there is a chance. Because holland loves to keep the vets.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
His issues had far more to do with positioning and anticipation than rebound control. He struggled to find good angles all season long, especially when moving laterally.
Won't find an argument here. Needs a good coach to teach him you can still play agressive and stay deeper in the net.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
If Holland protects Howard over Mrazek he should be fired on the spot. I can't believe it is even a discussion.

FathaGoose

Oct 15, 2014

What do you want him to say realistically? Howard is still under contract. He's not going to throw him under the bus months before the protected lists even come out.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
If Holland protects Howard over Mrazek he should be fired on the spot. I can't believe it is even a discussion.

Agreed. I am so sick of this organization standing pat, and not even attempting to improve the team in the long run. In the last 8 years, we haven't accomplished anything, and have been an average team.

Haven't won a playoff series in 4 years now, yet management is still pretending its 2006. If this continues, the dead Wings will be back pretty soon. Having a roster of mediocre overpaid players isn't gonna cut it. Evidently, loyalty does not win you Cups. Holland has to go, and he can take Blashill with him. Funny how most other organizations that missed the playoffs are making changes, yet we just sit still and do absolutely nothing.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
You keep Mrazek. Its a no brainer. He has 1 year left and he's RFA after that. If he sucks, you can cut him lose or re-sign him at a discount. If he's great, he's an RFA that you can revisit or one you can trade while his stock is high. Howard, on the other hand, is never going to rehabilitate his trade value into anything more than a modest return with retention likely required. Even if he's great for stretches. For christ's sake, give yourself a chance to get out from underneath a heavy contract that endures through a couple seasons where you aren't competing.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015

Yikes?
Howard has had proven success for quite awhile. His issue is his groin injury he gets every year.

Mrazek has done what exactly? Had 1 good HALF a season.

I think it is a tough decision IF and only IF they feel they can acquire another goalie in the next couple years.

If the plan is to do a full rebuild I would get rid of,Mrazek quickly and ride out the rest of the terrible contracts in kronwall, Ericsson and helm.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
IMO, I think Holland is just keeping his protected choice under wraps until the goalie market shakes out before the expansion draft.

That being said, I'm sure it'll end up being Mrazek that gets protected. I don't see the Vegas team grabbing Howard unless another team has some "Trevor Kidd 1999 Atlanta Expansion" trade offer in place. They already know they have cheaper options with more upside likely available in the expansion draft with guys like Halak, Korpisalo, Grubauer, Raanta, and/if someone is left uprotected between Fleury and Murray. They also have a plethora of options that could come cheaper and potentially with less term on the UFA market with Bishop, Mason, Darling, Miller, Nilsson, Johnson, Elliott and Bernier.

I'm betting McPhee's "priority list" has Sheahan or getting one of Jensen/Ouellet/Sproul from Detroit way before considering grabbing Howard or Mrazek.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
IMO, I think Holland is just keeping his protected choice under wraps until the goalie market shakes out before the expansion draft.

That being said, I'm sure it'll end up being Mrazek that gets protected. I don't see the Vegas team grabbing Howard unless another team has some "Trevor Kidd 1999 Atlanta Expansion" trade offer in place. They already know they have cheaper options with more upside likely available in the expansion draft with guys like Halak, Korpisalo, Grubauer, Raanta, and/if someone is left uprotected between Fleury and Murray. They also have a plethora of options that could come cheaper and potentially with less term on the UFA market with Bishop, Mason, Darling, Miller, Nilsson, Johnson, Elliott and Bernier.

I'm betting McPhee's "priority list" has Sheahan or getting one of Jensen/Ouellet/Sproul from Detroit way before considering grabbing Howard or Mrazek.

If Helm's exposed, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Vegas take him to be a vet presence in the locker room, and even a captain/assistant captain. We knock him a lot for his contract here, but by all accounts he seems like a really good guy to have in the locker room.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If Mrazek doesn't sort out his angles, I don't need him. He's a phenomenal goalie when he's on, but he's terrible and gives up goals that no goalie should when he's off. I don't care that he's 8 years younger. He's making 1.5M less than Howard now and unless he completely falls off the table to where nobody wants him, he's not getting a paycut when his contract is up. Howard and Coreau or Mrazek and Coreau amount to the same thing. Keeping Petr Mrazek isn't going to be the difference between top 5 and contender.

That being said... Vegas is likely going Fleury for their #1G. Whoever the Wings leave unprotected isn't likely to get snapped up... because I don't think Vegas would want to start out with ~9-10M locked up in goalies. I think it will end up being a completely inconsequential decision.

Much more likely that they go Ouellet/Jensen or Sheahan from the Wings list of unprotecteds.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
protecting Howard over Mrazek would be dumb since Vegas isn't taking Howard anyways so it would pretty much just be losing Mrazek for nothing

that said I wouldn't care anywhere near as much about losing Mrazek nowadays,so disappointed in him the last year and a half or so

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
USA Today seems to think that Holland will protect Howard over Mrazek, Would tend to think that Mrazek has some trade value leaving him unprotected would be insane. If this team is heading towards a rebuild here would rather have Mrazek over Howard.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
USA Today seems to think that Holland will protect Howard over Mrazek, Would tend to think that Mrazek has some trade value leaving him unprotected would be insane. If this team is heading towards a rebuild here would rather have Mrazek over Howard.

Maybe he's planning on trading Mrazek so the unprotectedness doesn't matter?

Protect Howard, deal Mrazek?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
If Helm's exposed, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Vegas take him to be a vet presence in the locker room, and even a captain/assistant captain. We knock him a lot for his contract here, but by all accounts he seems like a really good guy to have in the locker room.

I somewhat disagree, for a couple reasons.

1. The term/salary. I'll bet Vegas will field offers for mid round prospects/picks to take contracts like Helms off their books via the expansion draft. I'll bet LA's new management is already putting together a decent package to entice McPhee to snag Dustin Brown or Marian Gaborik, and Philly will probably do the same with Andrew MacDonald.

2. The vet/leadership thing. For Helms nearly $4M salary, Vegas could probably get 3 separate veteran/leader bottom 6 forwards on the UFA market for a shorter term to boot. Guys like Ott, Neil, Brian Boyle, Dwight King, etc could fill that type of role and potentially be a tradeable asset at the deadline.

I've got to think that McPhee's outlook for making selections will weigh on what that player(or contract) can bring to build for the future, whether by playing or through a trade. I'll bet a bulk of the minimum salary that Vegas is required to select will come from teams that offer organizational depth based on them selecting a bad contract. The rest will be a combination of: A. unprotected serviceable younger players/prospects that still have some upside. B. Veteran players that could play a key role (such as Fleury being starter) and/or could bring tangible assets in a trade within the calendar year following the expansion draft.

In that focus, a 25YO center coming off a rough year that still garnered interest from other teams at the deadline, but that may still have upside and is still on a bridge deal (Sheahan); or a 20-something Dman atleast capable of playing on the 2 pairing that may still have some upside (Ouellet/Jensen) would be much wiser picks. Especially compared to choosing a fragile, at best 3rd line/PK bottom 6 forward with a largely untradeable contract and coming off a season where they missed significant time and roughly 50% of their production came in the first two weeks.

On top of that... I'll bet if Holland gets any sort inkling that Helm might get selected, he'll panic and flip Vegas one of his extra draft picks to ensure they DON'T select him.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
If Mrazek doesn't sort out his angles, I don't need him. He's a phenomenal goalie when he's on, but he's terrible and gives up goals that no goalie should when he's off. I don't care that he's 8 years younger. He's making 1.5M less than Howard now and unless he completely falls off the table to where nobody wants him, he's not getting a paycut when his contract is up. Howard and Coreau or Mrazek and Coreau amount to the same thing. Keeping Petr Mrazek isn't going to be the difference between top 5 and contender.

That being said... Vegas is likely going Fleury for their #1G. Whoever the Wings leave unprotected isn't likely to get snapped up... because I don't think Vegas would want to start out with ~9-10M locked up in goalies. I think it will end up being a completely inconsequential decision.

Much more likely that they go Ouellet/Jensen or Sheahan from the Wings list of unprotecteds.

How much of his off season do we put on the new goalie coach?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad