Player Discussion: Petr Mrazek

ScandinaviaSensation

Oct 21, 2016
This is my first post here, so I'm gonna try to avoid making a fool of myself. First, let me start by saying this is not a post about who is better between Howard or Mrazek. Both have their abilities and depending on who is riding the hot streak will determine who the "better one" is. That being said...

Where has Mrazek gone?

Last season, his first true season, Mrazek was considered a dark horse in the Vezina voting category during a mid-season run. While he derailed slightly during the tail-end of the season, he did come in during the playoffs and performed admirably. This season, he started a few games and, in my opinion, looked comfortable and collected, and stole us a win or two. Now though, he's a completely different goaltender and seems beyond rattled. Mind you, I am a collegiate goaltender, so I do understand how the position works mentally, but this seems strange for even a cold streak.

Could this be a result of the goaltending coaching switch made during the off-season? I doubt it, seeing as how this is the same coach (Jeff Salajko) that worked with Mrazek in Grand Rapids.

Perhaps it's a result of the system Detroit is playing... or at least, trying to play. Something for fans to recognize is that certain goalies play better in certain systems, such as Bryzgalov thriving during his tenure in Phoenix (especially during the 09'-11' seasons), but failing to get a grip everywhere else. You could argue it's defensive strength, but I think it might be more related to how the defense suppresses shots. Howard and Mrazek play different styles, obviously, and Howard's seems much more adapted to handling Detroit's system.

So what do you guys think? Could it be the system, maybe just a cold streak, or even something internal like coaching?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
This is my first post here, so I'm gonna try to avoid making a fool of myself. First, let me start by saying this is not a post about who is better between Howard or Mrazek. Both have their abilities and depending on who is riding the hot streak will determine who the "better one" is. That being said...

Where has Mrazek gone?

Last season, his first true season, Mrazek was considered a dark horse in the Vezina voting category during a mid-season run. While he derailed slightly during the tail-end of the season, he did come in during the playoffs and performed admirably. This season, he started a few games and, in my opinion, looked comfortable and collected, and stole us a win or two. Now though, he's a completely different goaltender and seems beyond rattled. Mind you, I am a collegiate goaltender, so I do understand how the position works mentally, but this seems strange for even a cold streak.

Could this be a result of the goaltending coaching switch made during the off-season? I doubt it, seeing as how this is the same coach (Jeff Salajko) that worked with Mrazek in Grand Rapids.

Perhaps it's a result of the system Detroit is playing... or at least, trying to play. Something for fans to recognize is that certain goalies play better in certain systems, such as Bryzgalov thriving during his tenure in Phoenix (especially during the 09'-11' seasons), but failing to get a grip everywhere else. You could argue it's defensive strength, but I think it might be more related to how the defense suppresses shots. Howard and Mrazek play different styles, obviously, and Howard's seems much more adapted to handling Detroit's system.

So what do you guys think? Could it be the system, maybe just a cold streak, or even something internal like coaching?

It's a mix of things.

Cold streak, him not being quite as good as we all thought, and abysmal defense in front of him and Howard.

Howard is more positional than aggressive, so he holds up better with a weaker defense.

Mrazek is inconsistent because while he's a good goalie, he's not a great one. He's cold right now, so it's more evident.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
jm2c

But I think they are trying to teach him rebound control (Howard use to be bad at this, too. Now he's a sponge). I think it's throwing off Mrazek's athletic style play.

I think Mrazek has always been overrated and now we are starting to see who he really is. I do think he'll be top backup in the league if not a starter. I just think DRWs should cut ties with him and free up that money. Why pay like $9 million on two goalies? Makes no sense. Mrazek should be the odd man out.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's a mix of things.

Cold streak, him not being quite as good as we all thought, and abysmal defense in front of him and Howard.

Howard is more positional than aggressive, so he holds up better with a weaker defense.

Mrazek is inconsistent because while he's a good goalie, he's not a great one. He's cold right now, so it's more evident.

You're a goalie right? Would you say that Howard relies more on his positioning, and Mrazek relies more on his athleticism? That's what it seems like to me, but I don't know the position well enough to say for sure.

I think that is the biggest reason Mrazek might have consistency issues. And I think he can still become a great one. Although, I'm not sure he's the ideal goalie to have for a re-build.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
I think that is the biggest reason Mrazek might have consistency issues. And I think he can still become a great one. Although, I'm not sure he's the ideal goalie to have for a re-build.

At this rate he might be an ideal one for the tank necessary to force a rebuild.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
You're a goalie right? Would you say that Howard relies more on his positioning, and Mrazek relies more on his athleticism? That's what it seems like to me, but I don't know the position well enough to say for sure.

Yes. You can really see it on their terrible goals. When Howie is giving up softies, it's because he's slow getting to places. When he's reading the play and is set up on the angle, he's really good.

Petr does the opposite. His problem comes when he overcommits to something. I think it was Tampa earlier this year, when he swung almost to the circle to face a shot on the left and gave a wide open net to the guy on the right when it was passed over.

When Pete is good, he balances that aggressiveness with position and you see him shut down Ovechkin on 15 shots in a game. And he gets to pucks that most goalies can't.

Same with Howie. He's positionally sound and when he's healthy and reading the play, he can save lots of pucks.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

I don't buy into consistency issues. There are hot and cold streaks (I guess, I never had a bad cold streak). But I doubt position would matter that much when you're talking about cold streaks

Mrazek is overcommitting right now that's pretty much it. Howard was just plain trash when he was trash

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
I am at a loss his strength use to be handling the puck making a 6th defender and rebound control. He cant control rebounds and looks like Howard a lot with the free juicy rebounds on long soft shots. He has stopped handling the puck as well. It also seems like he is not tracking the puck well.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
I can't reconcile the Mrazek I've seen in the past to the Mrazek I've seen this year. It's like they're different players. I'm holding onto some vain hope that Mrazek is hurt and playing through it.

Pretty sure he did get hurt at the World Championships. I think that tournament in general is hurting a lot of guys on our team (Nielsen, Tatar, Mrazek).

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I am at a loss his strength use to be handling the puck making a 6th defender and rebound control. He cant control rebounds and looks like Howard a lot with the free juicy rebounds on long soft shots. He has stopped handling the puck as well. It also seems like he is not tracking the puck well.

Yeah I don't get it. Last night he flat out missed a few pucks behind the net. One time I noticed he did the classic Howard rim around the boards to Buffalo's defense. An injury is a possible explanation but it's still weird.

I blame love.:) Who knows with his age and personal life, it can be difficult deciding what you want to be. Overall he appears disengaged, uninterested in the fate of the club. There doesn't seem to be the same passion as last season. A curious point made that after his birthday and the shelling in Boston something in Petr shifted. I'd really like to see him get his heart back and be the player he can be. Who cares if you're on a downward trending team, should be impetus to stand out and take games over yourself.

Sheriff Bert

Blash is Trash
Apr 24, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Mrazek isn't driving the play as well as he used to. He's being a lot more conservative about playing the puck, which helped out the offense in the past. Plus he's not playing as aggressive as he used to play. Maybe he's doing it to avoid positioning mistakes, but he's getting burned a lot more by staying deep in the crease.

Howard is more of a positioning and reading plays type of goalie. When he starts to get too athletic or aggressive is when he hurts himself.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
He's plagued with the same problems, despite different goalie coaches, that at the NHL level will get any goalie in a lot of trouble. Especially on a bad team that can't help cover them up. The fact he isn't showing even minor improvement in the areas that are critical to success in the NHL isn't a good sign, though not the end all.

I also tend to think that he isn't as mentally tough as many believed.

*edit* If he keeps trending the way he is I wouldn't be surprised to see him walk during the next contract talk. A lot can change from now til then though

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
last nigh was the killer game for him. Look at the 3rd goal he was flinching away from the puck. Good luck stopping the puck when your running from it.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
If I remember correctly, Howard had some pretty awful rebounds his first 2-3 years in the NHL as well. Most goalies do IMO. Not everyone can eat pucks like Carey Price!

Howard could at least catch a puck with some regularity.

The puck seems to bounce off his trapper.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Howard could at least catch a puck with some regularity.

The puck seems to bounce off his trapper.

Aside from some great stretches from Mrazek early, Howard had a better start to his career. He also had way more defensive support early on, though. Hard to ignore that.

Mrazek is a huge disappointment this season, but goaltending is going to be a red herring. Even Lundqvist couldn't turn these nightly efforts into winners. Give up less quality chances and the goaltending will stabilize. I trust one of Mrazek or Howard to be "good enough" if they get more support around them.

For years we've been frustrated with the defense, so no surprise keeping goals out is a problem. Stolen games from Mrazek would only mask the problems, although boy do I wish he actually looked better.

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
When was the last time he shook Hasek's hand? Maybe he needs a refill on the Dominator fuel.

More seriously I suspect both Mrazek and Howard have simply been psychologically stretched over the last couple of seasons--Mrazek seemed to handle it better last year, Howard more so this year despite Mrazek getting somewhat better goal support most nights, but regardless of who's actually in the crease for a given game, they have to be thinking the team will lose if they let in more than one goal, because Detroit is just so offensively inept. And they're not wrong considering the number of games this squad has failed to top even one goal. This team has a significant chance of losing a game even if their goalie pitches a shutout through 60-65 minutes. There's only a handful or fewer of exceptional specimens in hockey history who would flourish in such a goalie-hostile environment as the 16-17 Red Wings. It's not just the shots that get by them that chip away at their confidence--it's watching all those squandered power plays, missed shots and giveaways at the other end of the rink--each goal the team fails to score weighs heavier on the shoulders of the guy guarding our net. You can ask them to endure for a time--the length of a playoff series or two, but whole seasons? It wasn't surprising when Howard regressed last year and it's not surprising the kid Mrazek regressing this year. If someone could find a way to wring some consistent offense out of this group I'd wager most of the consistency issues cure themselves. Short of that, even finding a way to notch the first goal of the game with some regularity would probably help a lot.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Interesting thoughts on how the team in front of our goalies must be effecting their confidence. We've seen Howard exasperated with the performances post-game. That's what I enjoy about Coreau- he has this child-like attitude, happy to be up and with nothing to lose. Hopefully Mrazek keeps battling against the negativity.

taliababa

Jun 4, 2009
Has anyone mentioned anything about this:

"Perhaps Mrazek's attitude could be better. Following Howard's injury Dec. 20 in Tampa Bay, Jared Coreau was recalled from Grand Rapids and coach Jeff Blashill started him in Florida on Dec. 23.

Mrazek was upset. The back-up goalie typically stays on the ice after practice, getting extra work and giving injured players someone to shoot on. Mrazek left the ice after practice at BB&T Center and refused to return after being confronted by one of his teammates."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...c_attitude_keys_to_ge.html#incart_river_index

I don't recall seeing anything anywhere else concerning his potential attitude problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad