Player Discussion: Petr Mrazek

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
didn't know about the attitude problems. probably explains why coreau got the start for the centennial classic

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Has anyone mentioned anything about this:

"Perhaps Mrazek's attitude could be better. Following Howard's injury Dec. 20 in Tampa Bay, Jared Coreau was recalled from Grand Rapids and coach Jeff Blashill started him in Florida on Dec. 23.

Mrazek was upset. The back-up goalie typically stays on the ice after practice, getting extra work and giving injured players someone to shoot on. Mrazek left the ice after practice at BB&T Center and refused to return after being confronted by one of his teammates."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...c_attitude_keys_to_ge.html#incart_river_index

I don't recall seeing anything anywhere else concerning his potential attitude problem.

Good. Start him next game. He had an edge now

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
This MLive article pisses me off. "Work ethic, attitude, keys to getting Mrazek turned around"? The fact it was a quote from Ken Holland is disgusting. Should have had a Devellano snippet also deriding him publicly like they did to Mantha.

The 1st rule in hockey is you never, EVER, question or look to your goaltender with enmity. They play an exceptional role and deserve nothing but continual support through thick and thin.

I'm surprised Khan would write an almost tabloid piece that "Mrazek didn't want to stay on the ice". Big ****ing deal. How about an article questioning management what is the actual goal of this hockey team? Why is Blashill proving to be a complete failure?

No wonder Mrazek wants to give up on the Wings like Lidstrom and Datsyuk did. We are the joke of the league: not for being losers but for the fact our owners and mangement dole out this crap and expect fans around the world to believe we're still great.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
This MLive article pisses me off. "Work ethic, attitude, keys to getting Mrazek turned around"? The fact it was a quote from Ken Holland is disgusting. Should have had a Devellano snippet also deriding him publicly like they did to Mantha.

The 1st rule in hockey is you never, EVER, question or look to your goaltender with enmity. They play an exceptional role and deserve nothing but continual support through thick and thin.

I'm surprised Khan would write an almost tabloid piece that "Mrazek didn't want to stay on the ice". Big ****ing deal. How about an article questioning management what is the actual goal of this hockey team? Why is Blashill proving to be a complete failure?

No wonder Mrazek wants to give up on the Wings like Lidstrom and Datsyuk did. We are the joke of the league: not for being losers but for the fact our owners and mangement dole out this crap and expect fans around the world to believe we're still great.

Mrazek has been one of the very worst Goalies in the league this season,that's just a fact.

Does it have to mean anything long-term? nope,there's no good reason he can't still have a solid to amazing season next year or even an okayish one this year if he turns things around quickly enough(sort of like a reverse of Howard's year a couple years ago where he was amazing the very half then awful the second half and ended up having a bad year in the aggregate)

but history is littered with Goalies that had a couple good years and were never quite the same afterwards,his play this season is a legitimate concern and that's on him

I for one am glad to see someone calling him out on his awful play of late,I just wish this level of honesty also extended to guys like Riley Sheahan but it seems some players receive nothing but a seemingly inexhaustible supply of patience.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Losing teams develop more frustration and subsequent drama in the locker room.

Mrazek wants to play, that's good. But it's not good if he's refusing typical practice duties. I don't blame him for being upset, he's bailed the Wings out enough in previous years that he should get the benefit of the doubt. But Blashill is fighting for his life, and I can see sitting a slumping goalie and trying a new tender.

Hopefully this is a bump before Mrazek can return to form. He absolutely needs to return to his previous high level of play to make this team competitive.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I feel like if Howard hadn't gotten injured a couple times we might have been heading towards a very real possibility that the team may have looked to move on from Mrazek rather than Howard

the injuries probably end any chance of that but if Mrazek continued to suck and Howard kept it together long enough for the team to feel comfortable about him going forward they very well might have looked to get something in return for Mrazek at the deadline and penciled in Howard for the next 3-5 years while they looked for a different future

not saying it would have happened but I think it was probably a lot more likely than people might think,the whole expansion draft thing makes this a very pivotal time

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Bull****. Goalie is a member of the team. He gets a bug up his ass and skips practice stuff, you knock him just like you would anyone else.

Big ****ing deal? You bet your ass it is. If you're the backup goalie, you do the skate. You don't skip it like a petulant child because you're sucking right now.

I love Petr and love him when he plays with an edge, but this is bullcrap. I would bench him for a couple more games for trying to do that ****.

As a goalie... I want my team questioning me. I sure as hell am questioning myself if I give up a soft one. Just because you stand in net doesn't make you exempt from criticism when you don't do what you should.

And what the hell... Datsyuk and Lidstrom "gave up on the Wings" because both were old as dirt. Lidstrom played into his ****ing 40s. Datsyuk gave up on the Wings in the last two years but that's because he was getting really beat up, again because he was 35+, and he didn't want to take a beating at that age. If Datsyuk were 30 when he signed the 3 year deal in 2013-14, he'd still be a Wing right now.

Lastly... what is it with people freaking out when management comes down on players? They rode Mantha like a rented mule and he's one of the best skaters on the team now. When Tatar was scoring 25-30 with Babcock here, that was due in large part to Babcock being a red ass and pushing Tatar to no end. Tatar hated Babcock for it, but even he said he was a better player for it.

Some guys are motivated by a challenge and by criticism. If you've ever seen anything of how Mrazek carries himself, you know when he's good, he's good because he's confident to the point of cockiness. Maybe Holland is saying something like this to get Petr to be like "**** you, Ken, I'm the best damn goalie you have. Maybe I gotta remind you of that."

NHL players generally aren't shrinking violets who shrivel up because someone says a mean word to them.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

There's nothing wrong with that article.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Mrazek has been one of the very worst Goalies in the league this season,that's just a fact.

Does it have to mean anything long-term? nope,there's no good reason he can't still have a solid to amazing season next year or even an okayish one this year if he turns things around quickly enough(sort of like a reverse of Howard's year a couple years ago where he was amazing the very half then awful the second half and ended up having a bad year in the aggregate)

but history is littered with Goalies that had a couple good years and were never quite the same afterwards,his play this season is a legitimate concern and that's on him

I for one am glad to see someone calling him out on his awful play of late,I just wish this level of honesty also extended to guys like Riley Sheahan but it seems some players receive nothing but a seemingly inexhaustible supply of patience.

It definitely is a calling out to have Holland and Blashill publicly commenting. I think the news article was unnecessary. We have a superstar talent that reached Vezina conversation (for a time) last season who is clearly unhappy- why not address this in private? The real concern is why does Mrazek have an attitude problem? You think we'd ever get to read his thoughts on the problems this season?

We all know the words "honesty" and "NHL" do not fit in the same sentence. For what it's worth Sheahan, Nyquist, Tatar, and Larkin's lack of production have been addressed in the media. To repeat an inquiry into their woes would be kicking a wounded dog, it's painful at this point. Obviously there's very little excitement surrounding the Wings currently but I don't think Mrazek, Howard, or Coreau's attitude need to be written about by Khan to eat up space on a sports blog.

As said by many others I'd like to read an article questioning what are Holland's plans to make Detroit a contender again.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
It definitely is a calling out to have Holland and Blashill publicly commenting. I think the news article was unnecessary. We have a superstar talent that reached Vezina conversation (for a time) last season who is clearly unhappy- why not address this in private? The real concern is why does Mrazek have an attitude problem? You think we'd ever get to read his thoughts on the problems this season?

We all know the words "honesty" and "NHL" do not fit in the same sentence. For what it's worth Sheahan, Nyquist, Tatar, and Larkin's lack of production have been addressed in the media. To repeat an inquiry into their woes would be kicking a wounded dog, it's painful at this point. Obviously there's very little excitement surrounding the Wings currently but I don't think Mrazek, Howard, or Coreau's attitude need to be written about by Khan to eat up space on a sports blog.

As said by many others I'd like to read an article questioning what are Holland's plans to make Detroit a contender again.

I reread Hollands quote. There is absolutely nothing wrong at all with it.

He literally said "When you're playing bad, you come in with a good attitude and work hard and you get through the slump". That's what you should do.

He didn't say Mrazek had an attitude problem. He said Mrazek was going through adversity (3+ GA in each of his last 6 games is that) and the way to get through it is to show up and work hard while keeping your head up.

I mean, if you think THAT is criticism, I don't know what to say.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I reread Hollands quote. There is absolutely nothing wrong at all with it.

He literally said "When you're playing bad, you come in with a good attitude and work hard and you get through the slump". That's what you should do.

He didn't say Mrazek had an attitude problem. He said Mrazek was going through adversity (3+ GA in each of his last 6 games is that) and the way to get through it is to show up and work hard while keeping your head up.

I mean, if you think THAT is criticism, I don't know what to say.

Yeah, this is a non-story, you're right man. Everything he said is true about a slumping player. Mrazek needs to show up, work harder, and keep his head up. Only way to bounce back.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Regarding the Mrazek "attitude problems," it's always been the case that the one area of rampant allowed criticism of the Red Wings has been the goalie. The local media has always willingly rolled out the goalie controversy. And that might very well be because putting the negative spotlight on the net means everyone else can attempt to recollect themselves in the shadows. Regardless, it took RFA Federov-like proportions to get the drama running on anyone else. But goalies? They were always sacrificed willingly in the weekend papers.

As far as the reporting on Mrazek's "drama," I'm not really bothered by the reporting of it as I am the lack of reporting elsewhere. You're telling me no other player on this team has had a conniption despite the total dysfunction of this group? No one else has gone off on a teammate or fired at reckless puck in someone's direction, accompanied by some choice words? Either that's ******** or Mrazek is the only living corpse on the roster this year.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with what's being reported. I frankly want my goalie a little pissed off and motivated to play his best, and if that means Holland has to badmouth him in the media, then so be it.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Bull****. Goalie is a member of the team. He gets a bug up his ass and skips practice stuff, you knock him just like you would anyone else.

Big ****ing deal? You bet your ass it is. If you're the backup goalie, you do the skate. You don't skip it like a petulant child because you're sucking right now.

I love Petr and love him when he plays with an edge, but this is bullcrap. I would bench him for a couple more games for trying to do that ****.

As a goalie... I want my team questioning me. I sure as hell am questioning myself if I give up a soft one. Just because you stand in net doesn't make you exempt from criticism when you don't do what you should.

And what the hell... Datsyuk and Lidstrom "gave up on the Wings" because both were old as dirt. Lidstrom played into his ****ing 40s. Datsyuk gave up on the Wings in the last two years but that's because he was getting really beat up, again because he was 35+, and he didn't want to take a beating at that age. If Datsyuk were 30 when he signed the 3 year deal in 2013-14, he'd still be a Wing right now.

Lastly... what is it with people freaking out when management comes down on players? They rode Mantha like a rented mule and he's one of the best skaters on the team now. When Tatar was scoring 25-30 with Babcock here, that was due in large part to Babcock being a red ass and pushing Tatar to no end. Tatar hated Babcock for it, but even he said he was a better player for it.

Some guys are motivated by a challenge and by criticism. If you've ever seen anything of how Mrazek carries himself, you know when he's good, he's good because he's confident to the point of cockiness. Maybe Holland is saying something like this to get Petr to be like "**** you, Ken, I'm the best damn goalie you have. Maybe I gotta remind you of that."

NHL players generally aren't shrinking violets who shrivel up because someone says a mean word to them.

:laugh: Great post! I just saw this and do hear what you're saying. These are grown men we're talking about I'm not concerned they can handle the pressure.

I still say the details of an incident within one practice didn't need to be hung out like dirty laundry. I guess this was more pertinent than a blurb about Nielsen's new home and decorations. But if we're going to be like Montreal airing such stories how about we also start asking Holland and the Illich's some tougher questions?

Datsyuk and Lidstrom both could have stayed and been very successful for 1 more season each. If we were contenders at the time I guarantee they would. "Giving up" isn't the best phrasing but as for Mrazek I agree with OneBlurredEye that bailing out a sinking team not just for games but for season after season has got to take a toll on the spirit.

Criticism and a bit of reverse psychology are good managerial tools for certain personalities. Individuals like Sheahan might need coddling. As said it's all on Mrazek to right himself if he so chooses.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
If Mrazek can't handle the pressure and criticism, then he shouldn't be accepting $4 million per year. When you get paid that much as a goalie, then you are expected to perform. If not, sit and be the water boy until you figure it out. He's being selfish if the reports are true.

Trade him for Halak.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with what's being reported. I frankly want my goalie a little pissed off and motivated to play his best, and if that means Holland has to badmouth him in the media, then so be it.

Somebody gets it

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
If Mrazek can't handle the pressure and criticism, then he shouldn't be accepting $4 million per year. When you get paid that much as a goalie, then you are expected to perform. If not, sit and be the water boy until you figure it out. He's being selfish if the reports are true.

Trade him for Halak.

The goalie who's even worse. Smart.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Trade him for Halak.

Nice, trade the 24 year old goalie with promise for the 31 year old waived and unclaimed goalie whose best days are behind him. We coulda just got Halak for free.

Desire to play is the last thing I want in an athlete :rolleyes:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

Trade him for Halak.

Has nothing to do with that. And I have negative interest in Halak.

Petr isn't sucking for lack of effort. He's just not having a good season. His skipping that practice was frustration from sucking. I was just saying that you don't want to reward behavior like ignoring a required post skate shootout (which to their credit, the Wings haven't.)

It's less that Petr can't handle the pressure and more that he's just slumping and he's not used to it. If it really is the first time he's faced prolonged adversity, it's no surprise he's being a bit annoying to the team.

When you're a goalie, you just have times when nothing goes right. It is a point of fact. And when you're a borderline cocky guy like Petr, you always have the answer until you don't. He'll find it again, but he's gotta be a professional until then.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I tend to believe that it was a combination of a lot of factors. I still maintain that part of it was game planning differences. Detroit played much more aggressively in front of Mrazek. This lead to more offense, but the team doesn't have the defenders to cover an aggressive play style. In front of Howard, I saw the forwards played below the dots a lot more often, which slowed the transition game and stifled the offense more. Add to that that Mrazek had an extremely long season last season, regression in the defense, and it seemed his rebound control wasn't consistent and I think that accounts for a lot of it.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Mrazek had a bad season. What would you say are the reasons? will he come back?

beside the stats: how was he playing?

Had great games had terrible games. You can't judge goalies well in front of this season (worst defense in years).

He went on amazing 5-6 game streaks and then went on bad 5-6 game streaks. Which except for a few games (every goalie has a terrible game) he could probably put up backup numbers if he had a defense

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Mrazek had a bad season. What would you say are the reasons? will he come back?

beside the stats: how was he playing?
OHL level rebound control and a very bad defense. Not a good combinatiom for success.

It's probably not much to read into, people just had way too high of expectations for him. Also see Nyquist.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
OHL level rebound control and a very bad defense. Not a good combinatiom for success.

It's probably not much to read into, people just had way too high of expectations for him. Also see Nyquist.

His issues had far more to do with positioning and anticipation than rebound control. He struggled to find good angles all season long, especially when moving laterally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad