Prospect Info: Player Discussion: Connor Brown - The kid's alright, eh?

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
Matthews, Nylander, Brown, Soshnikov, Hyman and Marner = 1/2 of Leafs forward being rookies.

That is even without Jimmy Vesey who might also be in the picture.

Add JVR, Kadri and Komarov as vets and automatics and you have 9 forwards.

That leaves Bozak, Laich, Lupul, Michalek, Greening, Holland battling it out for depth line duties and roster spots.

I say Hyman and Soshnikov are in his way as far as Marlies he has to worry about.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Strong, dependable player... I think he hasn't even come close to his ceiling, yet... Good things coming from Brownie..! :)

Connor Brown
Right Wing -- shoots R
Born Jan 14 1994 -- Toronto, ONT
22 yrs. ago
Height 5.11 -- Weight 183

RECENT STATS:

2015-16 Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
7 Games... 1 Goal... 5 Assists... 6 Points... -2
--------------------------------------------------------------
2015-16 Toronto Marlies - AHL
34 Games... 11 Goals... 18 Assists... 29 Points... +10
--------------------------------------------------------------
2016 AHL PLAYOFFS
12 Games... 7 Goals... 2 Assists... 9 Points... -3

Brownie Points: All Connor Brown's 2015-16 Season Goals & Highlights - TML

Last edited:

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
Aren't the objective next year. As such Brown will play.The bad news is, it will be at someone's expense. He has forced his way onto the Leafs, the only other choice they have is to trade him.I doubt he or his agent will accept AHL next year and he is cheap. There will be no Stamkos and a lot of young guys playing next year. Bernier would have to compete with Price for the Vezina to get us into the playoffs.

Komorov Kadri JVR
Brown Mathews Nylander
veteran Bozak Soshkinov
veteran veteran Hyman

Pick your veterans because they will be playing for their lives...Mr Lupul.I think management is getting addicted to all these high picks and see the need to get one last piece next year. They then sign Tavarres right before the take off.Stamkos doesn't want to leave TB.

Forgot about Reichel too.....left winger who can score and play physical...will also drop the gloves. Out of favour in Columbus, will get a shot with Leafs.....former 19th overall pick on ELC.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
What's not to love. Who knows he could be better than one of Marner or Nylander when it's all said and done!

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Something has to give... Rychel, hyman, soshnikov, leivo, brown, Leipsic.

All can't be in the nhl this year, but all seem to have proven to deserve to be. With Rychel demanding nhl time last season, I can't see him being ok with playing in the ahl this season.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Something has to give... Rychel, hyman, soshnikov, leivo, brown, Leipsic.

All can't be in the nhl this year, but all seem to have proven to deserve to be. With Rychel demanding nhl time last season, I can't see him being ok with playing in the ahl this season.

We have a pretty extensive logjam.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Until next year we have so many players signed and I am not sure how many rolkies are going to be on roster

He is NHL ready for sure

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Didn't Babcock say Brown and Carrick(?) were ready after last year's preseason camp??
I will not be happy if Brown doesn't get a chance with the leafs this year. He has drive, passion, a knack for scoring, and could probably play anywhere in the top 9.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Didn't Babcock say Brown and Carrick(?) were ready after last year's preseason camp??
I will not be happy if Brown doesn't get a chance with the leafs this year. He has drive, passion, a knack for scoring, and could probably play anywhere in the top 9.

I remember him saying that about Brown and Soshnikov.. Unless you're talking about Sam, we didn't get Connor until the tdl. Im trying to remember here, but I'm pretty sure he said if Soshnikovs English was better he would've made the team. Not sure what excuse he used for Brown. Really hope Babcock gives Brown a legit shot at making the roster, I personally have high hopes for the kid, if a player like Greening/Lupul/Michalek make it over him based on salary and not because of play I will be pretty pissed.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Brownie and Nylander were the ones he commented on, that he thought could've made the team out of camp except for all the extra bodies around.

Carrick didn't become a Leaf until Trade deadline when they traded Winnik to Washington.

I'm hoping Brown cracks the roster out of camp this year.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Brownie and Nylander were the ones he commented on, that he thought could've made the team out of camp except for all the extra bodies around.

Carrick didn't become a Leaf until Trade deadline when they traded Winnik to Washington.

I'm hoping Brown cracks the roster out of camp this year.

Mess is right.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
brown's last 3 years, ohl scoring title, ahl rookie scoring title, then though injured had a near ppg ahl year with 6 points in first 7 nhl games

brown has improved his weight and strength and speed, and has nhl skills, and he works really hard on the ice much like hyman

he makes team over hyman, sosh, and marner imo

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Bobby Mac sees Brownie starting with the Marlies b/c of his waiver immunity. Leivo starts with the Pressbox b/c he does not have waiver immunity.

Mr Hockey*

Sosh has way too much upside, Brown starts the season off on the marlies and is a first call up.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Brown has way more upside than Sosh m8. Just saying

I agree in that Brown has shown more at the professional level, but Soshnikov does have that deceiving shot that Brown doesn't have. Both will end up similar calliber players IMO... 2nd pairing winger. I think Soshnikov has more to prove at the AHL level than Brown does at this point...

I find it weird bobby mac mentioned Brown could get sent down due to waiver eligibility meanwhile Nylander, Hyman and Soshnikov can all be sent on waivers too. Brown was given equal praise to these three by Babcock and Co. throughout the season last year.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
Lots of room on the right side and as much as I like Marner, he may take longer to develop than desired. In my mind, Nylander, Brown, Hyman and Leivo will all be starting on the right side come opening night, unless Lupul surprises everyone. Center and left wing are full of transitional players. They will either be moved at the deadline or the LW prospects will have to wait one more year.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I have to think that Brown has a very limited chance to make the opening day roster based on the players ahead of him who play right wing. Unless we make a trade to purge players we will make decisions in the best interest of protecting assets. We have players who will be picked up off of waivers should they be exposed and will be kept over Brown.

I also think that we will be making room for Prust as well, our babied will need protection, so unless Prust is horrible he will get signed for this year.

Brown maybe deserving but the numbers just do not add up.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
With Matthews, Nylander, and possibly Marner graduating, and Rychel, Johnsson, Soshnikov, Hyman, Leipsic, Brown, Gauthier, Lindberg, Timashov, and Leivo all battling for 1 or 2 spots it feels great being a Leafs fan.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
With Matthews, Nylander, and possibly Marner graduating, and Rychel, Johnsson, Soshnikov, Hyman, Leipsic, Brown, Gauthier, Lindberg, Timashov, and Leivo all battling for 1 or 2 spots it feels great being a Leafs fan.

"Play the Kids" been something I've been saying for 40 years but this year it feels like my wish is going to come true.

Leafs roster should be full of rookies and its going to be an exciting year for me as Leaf fan win or lose to follow the progress of the youngsters.

I think the WC young guns is showing how exciting it can be to see young players full of energy and enthusiasm take on the vets as the underdogs.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I have to think that Brown has a very limited chance to make the opening day roster based on the players ahead of him who play right wing. Unless we make a trade to purge players we will make decisions in the best interest of protecting assets. We have players who will be picked up off of waivers should they be exposed and will be kept over Brown.

I also think that we will be making room for Prust as well, our babied will need protection, so unless Prust is horrible he will get signed for this year.

Brown maybe deserving but the numbers just do not add up.

I would wager the most Prust gets is an AHL contract.
Doesn't have the talent to make this roster, we have other character signings like Martin already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad