Prospect Info: Player Discussion: Connor Brown - The kid's alright, eh?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He should make the Leafs. Don't know if he will.

Between Nylander, Soshnikov, Hyman, Matthews, Marner and Brown...that's six forward spots devoted to rookies. Then you have Bozak, Kadri, JVR and Komarov which makes 10.

Leaving 3 spots for Stamkos and the others. That's not a lineup I can see Babcock and Lou approving of. Especially when they have kept preaching that they want to protect our players/rookies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Between Nylander, Soshnikov, Hyman, Matthews, Marner and Brown...that's six forward spots devoted to rookies. Then you have Bozak, Kadri, JVR and Komarov which makes 10.

Leaving 3 spots for Stamkos and the others. That's not a lineup I can see Babcock and Lou approving of. Especially when they have kept preaching that they want to protect our players/rookies.

They've alluded to the fact they were much better than they thought though. Just look at all the comments made by Lamoriello and Babcock since the trade deadline. Babcock admitted that Nylander and Brown should have made the team out of camp too.

They've given pretty much every young player from the Marlies a chance post deadline to test their abilities and see how they adapted. It sounds like a lot of them passed the test.

You also factor in that Soshnikov played in a pro league for awhile. Hyman isn't a prototypical rookie as a 24/25 year old. Nylander played pro hockey for a long-time. Matthews has played against men this past season and is obviously NHL ready, same for Laine if he's the pick. Both are playing top end minutes against some of the best players in the world and they are doing very well. So all though we have a lot of NHL rookies per NHL standards, they aren't completely green from pro experience. The only true rookie next year will be Marner.

I have no doubt in my mind that the Leafs will have the youngest team in the NHL next season. We are entering the 2nd phase of this rebuild. This isn't a typical situation that Babcock and Lamoriello have been through themselves in the cap world.

Last edited:

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
They've alluded to the fact they were much better than they thought though. Just look at all the comments made by Lamoriello and Babcock since the trade deadline. Babcock admitted that Nylander and Brown should have made the team out of camp too.

They've given pretty much every young player from the Marlies a chance post deadline to test their abilities and see how they adapted. It sounds like a lot of them passed the test.

You also factor in that Soshnikov played in a pro league for awhile. Hyman isn't a prototypical rookie as a 24/25 year old. Nylander played pro hockey for a long-time. Matthews has played against men this past season and is obviously NHL ready, same for Laine if he's the pick. Both are playing top end minutes against some of the best players in the world and they are doing very well. So all though we have a lot of NHL rookies per NHL standards, they aren't completely green from pro experience. The only true rookie next year will be Marner.

I have no doubt in my mind that the Leafs will have the youngest team in the NHL next season. We are entering the 2nd phase of this rebuild.

None of them have played a full 82 gm NHL season though. So they haven't experienced the long grind and the peaks and valleys. I mean, I get what you're saying. Not all of them are inexperienced rookies just stepping in, but Babcock values the veteran presence. The Hunwicks, Grabners etc. I just don't see him going with that young of a group without any solid veterans to lead and assist the young guys on how to be pros.

I heard awhile ago on TSN that he has had multiple discussions about this with Lou and his coaching staff, and it still kind of sounded like they didn't have any answers other than the wait and see approach.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Babcock claimed Brownie (as he calls him affectionately) could have already made last years team out of camp, but they had so many extra vet bodies around it forced the kids to the AHL to start.

Brown is not without skill as 2 years ago in the CHL putting up a Marner like performance.
2013-2014
CHL Top Scorer Award (128)
OHL First All-Star Team
OHL Most Assists (83)
OHL Most Outstanding Player (Red Tilson Trophy)
OHL Most Points (Eddie Powers Trophy) (128)
OHL Top Scoring Right Winger (Jim Mahon Trophy)

He is having a strong AHL playoffs leading the team in goals with 6 in 10 games helping the Marlies advance to the 3rd round.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
None of them have played a full 82 gm NHL season though. So they haven't experienced the long grind and the peaks and valleys. I mean, I get what you're saying. Not all of them are inexperienced rookies just stepping in, but Babcock values the veteran presence. The Hunwicks, Grabners etc. I just don't see him going with that young of a group without any solid veterans to lead and assist the young guys on how to be pros.

I heard awhile ago on TSN that he has had multiple discussions about this with Lou and his coaching staff, and it still kind of sounded like they didn't have any answers other than the wait and see approach.

We have plenty of veterans. Hunwick is still here. Bozak is still here. JVR, Michalek, Laich, Gardiner, Komarov, Lupul (If not on LTIR), Kadri, Greening, etc are all considered NHL veterans at this point even if they aren't 30+ in age.

I have no idea what to expect in terms of trades or signings this summer, but I'm VERY confident we will see a very young Leafs lineup next season. I expect most of the young players that excelled post deadline to be pencilled into NHL roles next season.

The lineup you saw post deadline I think is the one you are likely to see, with some tweaks of the off-season.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Babcock claimed Brownie (as he calls him affectionately) could have already made last years team out of camp, but they had so many extra vet bodies around it forced the kids to the AHL to start.

Brown is not without skill as 2 years ago in the CHL putting up a Marner like performance.

He is having a strong AHL playoffs leading the team in goals with 6 in 10 games helping the Marlies advance to the 3rd round.

Connor Brown has tons of skill, smarts and drive, but his skating is not amazing and he's one of those guys who was pre-sorted as a non blue chipper way back when it seems and he's been fighting up current ever since.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Connor Brown has tons of skill, smarts and drive, but his skating is not amazing and he's one of those guys who was pre-sorted as a non blue chipper way back when it seems and he's been fighting up current ever since.

Tavares skating wasn't amazing.

Brown still can exhibit breakaway speed as we saw in game 7 and while he may not "think" the game as fast as Nylander, Marner or Matthews, he does all the little things that scream NHL readiness.

In fact he should be right behind those three now in the prospect depth chart, ahead of the likes of Sosh, Hyman, etc.

These Marlies playoffs are now telling us that as well. Keeping Brown down next season would be a disservice to him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Tavares skating wasn't amazing.

Just seems like some kids get sorted into the dud pile despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary and they have that uphill battle to fight their whole careers. Look at Brad Richards vs Vinny Lecavalier...

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Just seems like some kids get sorted into the dud pile despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary and they have that uphill battle to fight their whole careers. Look at Brad Richards vs Vinny Lecavalier...

My go to is always the undrafted Marty St. Louis or the very late drafted Doug Gilmour.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
Brown better not get bumped for some scrubs as a technicality of having more "veterans".
I doubt that will be the case though.

Pholus

May 23, 2014

You mean like way back when he was 5'6 playing minor midget? Or more recently when he was -72(!) in his draft year (albeit on a terrible Erie Otters team)?

He was pre-sorted as a non blue chipper because he wasn't a blue chipper back then (and you could make a case that he still isn't, but just a very good prospect). In the time since then, he has made an astounding amount of progress, and getting to play on better teams has helped him with that.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
You mean like way back when he was 5'6 playing minor midget? Or more recently when he was -72(!) in his draft year (albeit on a terrible Erie Otters team)?

He was pre-sorted as a non blue chipper because he wasn't a blue chipper back then (and you could make a case that he still isn't, but just a very good prospect). In the time since then, he has made an astounding amount of progress, and getting to play on better teams has helped him with that.

Better teams? Yes the Otters got to improve as a result of their terrible standing and that also reflected well on Brown's true ability. Proving yet again why +/- can be an incredibility misleading metric which Corsi/CorsiRel, etc. gives a more accurate picture of defensive liability.

Connor Brown essentially played on a Marlies team last season that was rebuilding and seriously lacked skill and depth. He was the AHL rookie of the year and they made playoffs thanks to his efforts. They were a bottom of the league team when he started to play for them with a bottom of the league record for the first couple months.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Better teams? Yes the Otters got to improve as a result of their terrible standing and that also reflected well on Brown's true ability. Proving yet again why +/- can be an incredibility misleading metric which Corsi/CorsiRel, etc. gives a more accurate picture of defensive liability.

Connor Brown essentially played on a Marlies team last season that was rebuilding and seriously lacked skill and depth. He was the AHL rookie of the year and they made playoffs thanks to his efforts. They were a bottom of the league team when he started to play for them with a bottom of the league record for the first couple months.

I'm not saying that +/- is a great tool for measuring a player's ability, but when a player is -72 in 68 games, that's a pretty big warning sign that makes you, at the very least, give the idea of drafting someone else a second thought.

As for the Marlies, they may have had a poor start, but they also made the playoffs and finished higher in the standings than ~half of the league, so it's not like they were a bad team. They were average, after a very good end to the season.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
He was ready last year and Babcock likes him a lot, well every coach he ever plays for likes him. He 100% makes the team, complete workhorse

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I'm not saying that +/- is a great tool for measuring a player's ability, but when a player is -72 in 68 games, that's a pretty big warning sign that makes you, at the very least, give the idea of drafting someone else a second thought.

As for the Marlies, they may have had a poor start, but they also made the playoffs and finished higher in the standings than ~half of the league, so it's not like they were a bad team. They were average, after a very good end to the season.

Add a few key pieces like Nylander after the WJC and trading back for Brennan really helped their depth and pushed them into playoffs last season. But by the skin of their teeth.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Im starting to think that playoffs..

Aren't the objective next year. As such Brown will play.The bad news is, it will be at someone's expense. He has forced his way onto the Leafs, the only other choice they have is to trade him.I doubt he or his agent will accept AHL next year and he is cheap. There will be no Stamkos and a lot of young guys playing next year. Bernier would have to compete with Price for the Vezina to get us into the playoffs.

Komorov Kadri JVR
Brown Mathews Nylander
veteran Bozak Soshkinov
veteran veteran Hyman

Pick your veterans because they will be playing for their lives...Mr Lupul.I think management is getting addicted to all these high picks and see the need to get one last piece next year. They then sign Tavarres right before the take off.Stamkos doesn't want to leave TB.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Yup. Keeps excelling at every challenge. What I was glad to see was his call up near the end of the season. Proved he could score and contribute at the NHL level for his own confidence. Coming into camp he has that first goal behind him and he can just concentrate on the little things. One of my favorite prospects. Damn, there are a lot of them these days.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
hes at a decent 180-185ish pounds now, should be even stronger by camp...his skating isnt elite or even great but its not a major issue anymore hes solid on his skates, and his hyman like all out hustle and working hard on the ice makes him a lot faster...but u gotta love his iq, hands and passing, its great, his shot is probably at a kadri level just good enough

highslot

Jul 10, 2012

they are rookies, but all of them except marner have already played in the nhl.

matthews is ready, soshnikov is older and ready, brown is seasoned, and nylander has already played games.

komorov and jvr can insulate the rookies on the ice.

amack081

Nov 1, 2015
To me, Brown has surpassed Leivo. Leivo should be used at the draft to pick up another decent asset/pick or be part of a bigger deal.

Sosh, Brown, Hyman, Nylander will be the Marlie graduates and will get many games with the Leafs. Leipsic will get spot duty for injuries.
Expect to have Kappy, Lindberg and Gauthier bigger roles on the Marlies.

shakermaker

Nov 16, 2006
Mississauga
Aren't the objective next year. As such Brown will play.The bad news is, it will be at someone's expense. He has forced his way onto the Leafs, the only other choice they have is to trade him.I doubt he or his agent will accept AHL next year and he is cheap. There will be no Stamkos and a lot of young guys playing next year. Bernier would have to compete with Price for the Vezina to get us into the playoffs.

Komorov Kadri JVR
Brown Mathews Nylander
veteran Bozak Soshkinov
veteran veteran Hyman

Pick your veterans because they will be playing for their lives...Mr Lupul.I think management is getting addicted to all these high picks and see the need to get one last piece next year. They then sign Tavarres right before the take off.Stamkos doesn't want to leave TB.

This guy....

This guy knew!

I'm excited about Brown, he's just the type of player the leafs deserve to catch a break with.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

The other 3 are Michalek, Laich and Greening. Lupul is headed for Robidas island.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad