Play Ball! After months of idiocy, schedule is in place & camps open July 1st

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The timing of covid screwed baseball. The NFL didn't have to cancel a single game and their offseason benefited from being the only thing on tv. The NHL and NBA had already played the majority of their seasons, tickets sold, and contracts paid. Owners only have to pay bonuses the rest of the way. MLB is stuck with half a season at best with no fans and when they do get to the postseason they'll be competing with all of the other major sports leagues for ratings.

That may be, but IMO COVID exposed the already deepening fissures in baseball and gave us a preview of no baseball in 2022.

As I understand it, they'd play through the grievance. That would take months to settle.

How can they file a grievance now that Clark publicly threw up his hands on negotiations?

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
According to the March agreement, the commish can pick however many games he wants for a schedule and it has to be pro-rated salaries. So yes. Which is why it will be a watered down 48-54 game season at this point. As discussed in this thread, the players will likely ask for a grievance because the argument will be they could have played easily 70 games.

I don't see how forcing a restart would be an option for MLB if they're dead set on not paying anywhere close to full pro-rated salaries. They mind as well cancel the season then. It looks like the union is calling them on their bluff.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't see how forcing a restart would be an option for MLB if they're dead set on not paying anywhere close to full pro-rated salaries. They mind as well cancel the season then. It looks like the union is calling them on their bluff.

They clearly have a limit as to the # of games they can/want to pay prorated salaries, especially since every damn proposal from the owners' side has been some variation of paying the same amount of money aggregate. 45 games full pay, 90 games half pay, 67 games at 2/3 pay, however they package it...it's bullshit but I expect nothing more from the owners at this point.

The players don't help themselves whining about how they 'already' took a paycut though, as if Gerrit Cole and Mike Trout should be making $35 million over a 50-80 game season where it's nobody's fault games got slashed and the rest will be with no fans in the stands.

Both these sides have to get their heads out of their own ass and realize having these petty squabbles during a worldwide pandemic is only going to lead people to give them a collective middle finger. They're all 'negotiating' as if there IS no pandemic but by gosh the other side has to absorb all the lost revenues!

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I feel like baseball has the highest concentration of cheapass owners. This is just going further to cement this.

Like i get it. The players make exorbitant amounts of money as is. But the fact is simple; you sign the big money contracts, you pay the big money. Contracts are all guaranteed. Too f***ing bad if these billionaires lose an extra few million.

Can't wait to see how the CBA agreements play out because you damn well know the players aren't going to just let this taper off into history.

The MLB has offered them four craptacular offers. Shit or get off the pot.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I feel like baseball has the highest concentration of cheapass owners. This is just going further to cement this.

Like i get it. The players make exorbitant amounts of money as is. But the fact is simple; you sign the big money contracts, you pay the big money. Contracts are all guaranteed. Too f***ing bad if these billionaires lose an extra few million.

Can't wait to see how the CBA agreements play out because you damn well know the players aren't going to just let this taper off into history.

The MLB has offered them four craptacular offers. Shit or get off the pot.
Owners are factoring in the lost revenue from not having any fans at the games in all of their proposals. PA doesn’t want the lack of fans in stadiums factored into these proposals.

unless someone moves off one of their stances no agreement will be made.

MLB also needs to figure out if they will follow the nba and NhL and have hub cities, ie FLA and AZ basically using their spring training facilities to play games to extend the time they can play into end of November or not so that both sides know the cutoff date for the end of both playoffs and regular season.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
I think the hub city stuff is a problem for players. I wouldn't want to be confined to one location for months while the rest of the country has loosened restrictions. I was surprised the nba players agreed so quickly and I really think its the major reason why they're starting to balk.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
MLB also needs to figure out if they will follow the nba and NhL and have hub cities, ie FLA and AZ basically using their spring training facilities to play games to extend the time they can play into end of November or not so that both sides know the cutoff date for the end of both playoffs and regular season.
Old news, this has all been decided.

Season will be played in home parks and be done by the end of October, like normal. The TV networks don't want to go into November.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think the hub city stuff is a problem for players. I wouldn't want to be confined to one location for months while the rest of the country has loosened restrictions. I was surprised the nba players agreed so quickly and I really think its the major reason why they're starting to balk.

The hub thing is for their own good. Have absolutely minimal traveling while being able to contain an outbreak if one occurs.

Could you imagine if a player on Miami had it, played a game, then flew elsewhere and unintentionally transmitted it to a player or staff member of another team? Then said person gives it to their family and so on and so forth.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
The hub thing is for their own good. Have absolutely minimal traveling while being able to contain an outbreak if one occurs.

Could you imagine if a player on Miami had it, played a game, then flew elsewhere and unintentionally transmitted it to a player or staff member of another team? Then said person gives it to their family and so on and so forth.

I think that's already happening and they haven't even resumed play.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The owners would rather not play than pay pro-rated salaries. This is such garbage from them.

Privatize profits but damn well make sure that they push any losses to those underneath them.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Just shut it down already. I have no sympathy for either side at this point & assuming their won't be a really bad 2nd wave of 'Rona, their will be more than enough sporting events to enjoy this fall to even give the lack of baseball a 2nd thought.

And good luck getting a lot of fans back after this......we saw how the '94 strike affected things.....that will be child's play compared to the amount of fans that they will lose over this.

Reactions: NJDevs26 and BLONG7

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
What a trainwreck. Manfred incompetence makes me want to start a Bettman appreciation thread.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Well Rob, if the PA doesn't have a legitimate claim, you should have nothing to worry about, right?

Holy hell, this guy is a terrible commissioner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad