Play Ball! After months of idiocy, schedule is in place & camps open July 1st

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
The timing of covid screwed baseball. The NFL didn't have to cancel a single game and their offseason benefited from being the only thing on tv. The NHL and NBA had already played the majority of their seasons, tickets sold, and contracts paid. Owners only have to pay bonuses the rest of the way. MLB is stuck with half a season at best with no fans and when they do get to the postseason they'll be competing with all of the other major sports leagues for ratings.

Reactions: Voight and ChrisK97

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
Players are still negotiating as if the country has a completely normal economy. Tony Clark has no clue what he's doing and is going to cost the fans watching baseball this year.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
We're going to play baseball in 2020, 100%," Manfred said Wednesday during an interview with Tom Verducci on MLB Network, according to Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle. "If it has to be in that March 26 agreement, so be it. But, one way or the other, we're playing baseball."
Manfred added that the league will send a new couterproposal to players shortly that he says will move "considerably" in the players' favor, according to Eric Fisher of Sports Business Group. He also said that the sides are close on health protocols.
I feel like we're getting close..

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
The owners are using the "I'm poor" excuse to wring every last dollar out of the players, they are the ones in the wrong.

Seems a bit much to say someone is wrong because they do not want to lose millions of dollars to have other people entertain us

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Seems a bit much to say someone is wrong because they do not want to lose millions of dollars to have other people entertain us
I don't understand why people side with the billionaires. Especially when they are trying to push financial losses on to those with less money. How does that compute?

Reactions: Voight

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
If there's no baseball, they're really blowing it. With the other major league sports either being off-season or having a stupid 22-24 team league if they return, this is baseball's time to shine. The only thing worse would be if the NFL came back in November and there was no October baseball, but that's not a prediction.

Reactions: Voight

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
If there's no baseball, they're really blowing it. With the other major league sports either being off-season or having a stupid 22-24 team league if they return, this is baseball's time to shine. The only thing worse would be if the NFL came back in November and there was no October baseball, but that's not a prediction.

Manfred/ownership has been clear that there will at least be a 48 game season. They don't need a deal to get that done.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

In a letter accompanying Major League Baseball’s latest proposal to the Players Association, deputy commissioner Dan Halem addresses top union negotiator Bruce Meyer in a biting tone that reflects the continuing ill will between the parties.

The five-page letter, a copy of which was obtained by The Athletic, includes a lengthy section entitled “Resolution of Dispute” that details three months of the league’s frustration with the union’s approach to the talks. From his opening paragraph to Meyer, Halem is on the offensive.

“I must have misinterpreted your June 6th letter,” Halem tells Meyer. “I thought the letter reflected a willingness on the part of the Association to discuss in good faith the economics necessary for the Office of the Commissioner to waive its right under the March Agreement to resume the 2020 season only when there are, among other things, no restrictions on fan access. After reviewing the Association’s counterproposal, I stand corrected.”

Responding to Halem, a PA spokesman said: “Mr. Halem’s self-serving letter is filled with inaccuracies and incomplete facts. We will respond to that and the league’s latest proposal in short order.

Last edited:

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Manfred/ownership has been clear that there will at least be a 48 game season. They don't need a deal to get that done.

This is what MLB believes but MLBPA will likely fill a grievance if owners attempt to force a deal.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
As I understand it, they'd play through the grievance. That would take months to settle.

Could be but may depend on the reason. If part of grievance is over safety concerns, could players still be forced to play? Of course individual players can sit out regardless of decisions and forfeit any pay.

member 157595

I don't follow baseball and forgive me for the perhaps stupid question, but why should the players not be entitled to their full prorated salary? MLB contracts are guaranteed, are they not? If so, by not giving the players the full prorated amount isn't MLB attempting to either blow up or bypass the CBA already negotiated between the two parties?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
The PA says ''we don't give a **** anymore, let's just get it over with.''

I don't follow baseball and forgive me for the perhaps stupid question, but why should the players not be entitled to their full prorated salary? MLB contracts are guaranteed, are they not? If so, by not giving the players the full prorated amount isn't MLB attempting to either blow up or bypass the CBA already negotiated between the two parties?

It all comes down to their March agreement once the world shutdown. The owners believe the agreement was largely built on the basis of fans being back in stadiums and that IF fans were not in the stands, it could be renegotiated/talked about as the financial losses would be massive.

The players thought they negotiated in that agreement that they were getting pro-rated regardless of the circumstances.

They could not agree on what they first agreed on...and that is why are here.

Reactions: NJDevs26

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
So if MLB forces a restart, are the players entitled to the full pro-rated salaries?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
So if MLB forces a restart, are the players entitled to the full pro-rated salaries?

According to the March agreement, the commish can pick however many games he wants for a schedule and it has to be pro-rated salaries. So yes. Which is why it will be a watered down 48-54 game season at this point. As discussed in this thread, the players will likely ask for a grievance because the argument will be they could have played easily 70 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad