TSN: plan is to make Nylander a star

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
“We believe in doing it right so we don’t get tricked just because you’re skilled,” said Babcock. “We want you to become a high-end skill player with unbelievable work ethic. That’s how you get a star. Otherwise you’re a guy that goes from team to team to team. If you want to be a star, dig in and put the team first and you’ve got to learn how to play without the puck.”

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-==-
Keep his goals down and sign him at a discount !

Was that a dig at M Nylander? Like in, hey William, we can make you a real star, not just a guy with star skills that never sticks with one team.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
That was such a beauty snipe yesterday, how the hell does a kid with a shot like that only have 6 goals on the season?

Only saw a replay couldn’t watch the game. But nice for marner, nylander and Kapanen to get goals from beautiful shots as opposed to garbage goals off skates or their butts gives them confidence there shots work in the nhl

How was nylander overall at C?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
That was such a beauty snipe yesterday, how the hell does a kid with a shot like that only have 6 goals on the season?

Also don't forget he hit the post in the first when he was in tight to the goalie near the goal line. That would have been a ridiculous shot if it went in

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Obviously I'm not sold Willy ends up a C, clearly the organization agrees. That said, Nylander looked good yesterday-and not just offensively-his backcheck and defensive "compete" was quite noteworthy. If Nylander can show that defensive play for an extended period, even over spot duty at C, then he can control his own destiny. Good stuff.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Only saw a replay couldn’t watch the game. But nice for marner, nylander and Kapanen to get goals from beautiful shots as opposed to garbage goals off skates or their butts gives them confidence there shots work in the nhl

How was nylander overall at C?

For sure, Kapanen's just getting started so not worried about him but Nylander and Marner absolutely, their confidence should get a boost. TBH Nylander has such an amazing shot that I can't imagine him not having confidence in it but I imagine that 4 point game did wonders for Marner.

I'm not the best person to ask about Nylander overall, I taped the game, got home late and had a lot on my mind, then it got to 4-1 I fast forwarded most of the rest of the game and just watched the goals.

Also don't forget he hit the post in the first when he was in tight to the goalie near the goal line. That would have been a ridiculous shot if it went in

Yup, I remember that one, that would have been amazing!

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
E5qD7IpWUSXOE.gif

He's been taking the puck to the net more recently so I think his slump is ending if he keeps that up
I'm sure babs gave him the same advice he gave Kadri, shot from closer

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He is like 2 points behind where he was last year. He will score around 60 pts, will get about 6 mill a year and we will all be happy

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017

Is this a serious question? He only has 6 goals because he plays on the perimeter. Not going to be a goal scorer in this league, if you don't pay the price and go to the tough areas. He is going to get exposed year after year in the playoffs, when time and space gets taken away.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Is this a serious question? He only has 6 goals because he plays on the perimeter. Not going to be a goal scorer in this league, if you don't pay the price and go to the tough areas. He is going to get exposed year after year in the playoffs, when time and space gets taken away.

No my question wasn't serious, I'm afraid your answer was though. :laugh:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
What is sA1/60 (and sA2/60, sA3/60...etc)?
It shows contributions to shots. SA1-3 is simply first to third assist on shots, which gives us more detailed information on shot metrics. Who is driving them, compared to who is just tagging along.

So basically, we have four really play driving forwards (Nylander, Kadri, Matthews, Marner), and we have a trio that clearly doesn't contribute to offense (Komarov, Moore, Martin).

We have three players who are dominant entry players (Nylander, Marner, Kadri), with Matthews in that group when it comes to carry-ins.

Getting the puck out successfully is Nylander by far, with Matthews good at getting it out as well. Kadri and Marner along with the previous two have a nice rate of controlled exits.

With the puck, from defense to offensive pressure, Nylander is our best player. That lacks the last step, which is to get the puck to dangerous areas (which we know from other stats that Nylander excels at), and putting it in the net (which Nylander hasn't done, though that's likely in part due to factors outside his control).

Last edited:

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
It shows contributions to shots. SA1-3 is simply first to third assist on shots, which gives us more detailed information on shot metrics. Who is driving them, compared to who is just tagging along.

So basically, we have four really play driving forwards (Nylander, Kadri, Matthews, Marner), and we have a trio that clearly doesn't contribute to offense (Komarov, Moore, Martin).

We have three players who are dominant entry players (Nylander, Marner, Kadri), with Matthews in that group when it comes to carry-ins.

Getting the puck out successfully is Nylander by far, with Matthews good at getting it out as well. Kadri and Marner along with the previous two have a nice rate of controlled exits.

With the puck, from defense to offensive pressure, Nylander is our best player. That lacks the last step, which is to get the puck to dangerous areas (which we know from other stats that Nylander excels at), and putting it in the net (which Nylander hasn't done, though that's likely in part due to factors outside his control).

Awesome explanation, thanks for that.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

So basically. We need to build our forwards around Matthews, Marner, nylander and Kadri......

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I think it is shot assists, as in he took a shot, was the pass that led to a shot, was the 2nd last pass before a shot and 3rd last pass led to a shot

edit: Damn it, didn't read on in the thread again, Nithoniniel explained it really well
sA1 refers to a primary Shot Assist (pass leading to a shot), sA2 to a secondary Shot Assist (pass before the pass leading to a shot), and sA3 is the 3rd pass before a shot.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The shot contribution chart shows, imo ...
  • Hyman is on the line to just create turnovers for Matthews, pretty much.
  • Bozak inst really a good play making/creative center.
  • Leo has a decent sA1/60 because Kandri likes to shoot ... bit of a chart flaw
Cool charts but missing context. exp: (matthews plays against the best of the best)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad