TSN: plan is to make Nylander a star

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
In our dreams :laugh: ......I felt Stamkos was more open to it then Tavares, JT up to this point hasn't even suggested it as a possibility, unlike someone like Stammer who did and even met with the Leafs...can't see it happening with JT.
Me Neither.
I dont think we want him anyway.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Babcock just kicked the center can down the road again. All I've ever said is the organization isn't sold on Nylander defensively at center, there is no decipher needed, the quote is clear, as is the record to date. Will he become a center? Maybe, but I'd lean winger at this point. I do find it a bit amusing that past Babcock quotes were used to say he would be center now this is being poo pooed or "misconstrued". Here's the Leafs bottom line: lots of kids are drafted as centers, lots don't become NHL centers, unless Willie shows he can defend at center, he won't be one, but he's still young.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
In our dreams :laugh: ......I felt Stamkos was more open to it then Tavares, JT up to this point hasn't even suggested it as a possibility, unlike someone like Stammer who did and even met with the Leafs...can't see it happening with JT.

Tavares decision to stay or Leaf the Islanders will have a lot to do with the stability of the ownership group and if they are going to find a permanent place to play, that Brooklyn arena is a horrible hockey rink.

I think Tavares is more likely to leave than Stammer was.

If he targets Toronto that is a different question

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Babcock just kicked the center can down the road again. All I've ever said is the organization isn't sold on Nylander defensively at center, there is no decipher needed, the quote is clear, as is the record to date. Will he become a center? Maybe, but I'd lean winger at this point. I do find it a bit amusing that past Babcock quotes were used to say he would be center now this is being poo pooed or "misconstrued". Here's the Leafs bottom line: lots of kids are drafted as centers, lots don't become NHL centers, unless Willie shows he can defend at center, he won't be one, but he's still young.
He's playing centre today though.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Good! Lots of chances for in close and looking good in our end. As usual elite puck carrying.

Oh hit iron already

nice I liked him against the oilers, he plays well at C IMO. some weren't happy with his last game there though

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
nice I liked him against the oilers, he plays well at C IMO. some weren't happy with his last game there though
He is trying to play smarter imo and it's a process.
He's been playing really well today. I can't see anything to complain about in the 1st

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Nope Implying that Pittsburgh won chipping it in and having an effective forcheck. That’s playoff hockey today.

Pens won the cup by keeping possession of the puck, not throwing it away as soon as they entered the offensive zone. Regardless, teams need to be good at both. When you can carry in well, and have an opportunity to do so, though, you have a higher chance of keeping possession of the puck, tiring out the opposition with a cycle, and setting up a HDSC with the opposition on their heels.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
If teams have a game plan to try and stop the big 3 from zone entries, you "adapt" and get the puck in deep, basic hockey! There is nothing worse for a d'man than fast forewords on the fore check.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Babcock today on Nylander confirms what I've thought about him becoming a center, this organization isn't sold on that at all:
DRbL-ScX4AAXEJx

That's organization language for yeah he has the skill will be a C but may not wink wink because this this and this. Blah blah contract wingers are cheaper.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
That's organization language for yeah he has the skill will be a C but may not wink wink because this this and this. Blah blah contract wingers are cheaper.
I was thinking the same. Sign him long term and then give him a real shot at C. Let him work on his defensive game in the meantime. Bozak is likely gone next year so the timing is pretty perfect. Matthews-Kadri-Nylander-Who cares is great depth.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's weird to me that a lot of people seem to take that quote as Babcock saying Nylander won't be a center. The quote can basically be distilled down to: "Nylander has the skill to be center. He needs to be better off the puck to be center. We are working on that, it's a process. When that process is complete is unclear, and it's not a guarantee to happen."

If there's one thing that quote says, it's that the plan is still for Nylander to be center.

There’s positives and negatives to take away from it (especially reading between the lines).

Babcock clearly thinks highly of him and that is reflected in the high level expectations he’s set for him to reach.

That said, it’s also yet another insight into his trust issues with younger players. Tie goes to the vet unless he’s 110% convinced otherwise.

Anyways was nice to see him finally pot another goal today, here’s hoping it’s the start of a streak as he finds his game

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

No it's not. I get exactly what's he's saying and so should you.

Unless you havn't noticed Matthew's and Marleau's ability to get to the man in the slot. Or take the puck away from a guy in the boards?

Nylander hasn't really demonstrated that consistently yet from what I've watched so far.

So Bab's is right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad