TSN: plan is to make Nylander a star

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Leafs out to make Nylander 'a star' - Article - TSN

“Our job here, and that’s Lou [Lamoriello]’s and mine and our whole crew here, we have to make him a star,” said Babcock. “That’s our job. So whether you think we’re handling it right or not, we obviously think we are.”

And Nylander can only hope the lessons pay off – literally – down the road. With just months to go before he’s due to negotiate a new contract extension, Nylander’s not dwelling on what a season with more valleys than peaks so far could be costing him in a new deal.

“It’ll pop up [in my head] sometimes but it’s something you don’t really waste energy on thinking about,” he said. “If you think about it like that, you’re going to have headaches.”

Looks like they are not punishing him as some are saying.
I like what the plan is and he has been coming along well. If he progresses like Kadri but with an obviously higer skill set we are set down the middle
Matthews
Nylander
Kadri
Colour me happy

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Leafs out to make Nylander 'a star' - Article - TSN

I like what the plan is and he has been coming along well. If he progresses like Kadri but with an obviously higer skill set we are set down the middle
Matthews
Nylander
Kadri
Colour me happy

I like the plan and I see (maybe Babcock does) no reason not to get him in his natural position.
If Bozak is the difference between playoffs/not playoff then I don't know what to say.
It's a good time to obtain assets for departing UFAs and move Willy to center as well. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Keep JVR if it's the plan and replace Bozak with Nylander.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Weird that it took this long, plus a Matthews injury, to do the Marleau-Nylander (LW-C) combination.

Welcome to the party, Mr Babcock. Out here looking like the late Walder Frey.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Its comical that people think Babcock/Lou dont know how to handle their younger players. Sure he is struggling mightily right now, but hopefully he turns it around. Teaching him to be more responsible and a better all around player is not punishing him. The Leafs success last year is clouding peoples judgement. They are still a developing team and when Babcock said "there will be pain", he meant it.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I like the plan and I see (maybe Babcock does) no reason not to get him in his natural position.
If Bozak is the difference between playoffs/not playoff then I don't know what to say.
It's a good time to obtain assets for departing UFAs and move Willy to center as well. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Keep JVR if it's the plan and replace Bozak with Nylander.
I think that is Babcocks plan to move him to centre hence since Matthews injury he's been playing there. Once Bozak is gone I think he will be full time centre.
It's a luxury that we don't have to rush him into the position.
Also I like the idea they mentioned about being a star and not floating from team to team. That speaks to the culture and I really like that.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Weird that it took this long, plus a Matthews injury, to do the Marleau-Nylander (LW-C) combination.

Welcome to the party, Mr Babcock. Out here looking like the late Walder Frey.
See I think it was about teaching him to play centre as ajob and not just based on his skill level, which he couĺd of course.
If he becomes Matthews lite wouldn't that be better than just having his as a sheltered 3C?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Seems like a "Captain Obvious" kind of article.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
From the article;

After reiterating he still has confidence in himself and where he’s at, Nylander was asked point-blank if his believes his coach still has faith in him – to which Nylander responded “yeah.”

Does anybody know who is the moron that asked that ridiculous question? this guys should be banned from the lockerroom. Effing A-hole!

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Matthews
Nylander
Kadri
Colour me happy

Only the really inexperienced and very young hockey fans think he was//is being punished and not developed.

Reactions: Iapyi and rimshot

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
From the article;

After reiterating he still has confidence in himself and where he’s at, Nylander was asked point-blank if his believes his coach still has faith in him – to which Nylander responded “yeah.”

Does anybody know who is the moron that asked that ridiculous question? this guys should be banned from the lockerroom. Effing A-hole!

Reactions: Leafs1993

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
See I think it was about teaching him to play centre as ajob and not just based on his skill level, which he couĺd of course.
If he becomes Matthews lite wouldn't that be better than just having his as a sheltered 3C?
I'd prefer no matchup line, just 3 lines that you can roll in all situations. The 4th line can be the specialty line, heavy, PK, speed, etc. You move to the next level when you don't have to matchup. Other teams have to match you.
I'm good with a 3rd line of JVR/Marleau...Nylander...Hyman/Brown moving forward.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I just linked this same article in the Marner thread a couple hours ago to show that the fourth line minutes were developing minutes and not punishing.

Reactions: saltming

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'd prefer no matchup line, just 3 lines that you can roll in all situations. The 4th line can be the specialty line, heavy, PK, speed, etc. You move to the next level when you don't have to matchup. Other teams have to match you.
I'm good with a 3rd line of JVR/Marleau...Nylander...Hyman/Brown moving forward.
Agreed! And thankfully the coach agrees too

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Sure. And the reason I recommended (in August) having Marleau be his LW, and him play center, was to aid in his development by having him actually play the position with a good two-way veteran next to him to mentor him. All while having said veteran be capable of being productive.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad