GWT: PL Round 22

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
If Morata finishes any of his three golden chances this is a different result.

And then two thunderbolt strikes after the ball deflects..

I think it's tough

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Arsenal looked brilliant at times, and then the defense looked sunday league level the rest of it.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I thought Arsenal were slightly better. However, if Morata was worth half of what Chelsea paid for him the game would've been long over.

Sunday league level defending by Arsenal at the end and then Xakha or however you spell his name completely kills whatever Arsenal could've had on the counter.

He along with Welbeck were abysmal.

Reactions: All Might and KJS14

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I was going to come here and write a multi-paragraph post about Chelsea are still divers with Hazard's penalty, how Arsenal deserved a better fate, how good Alonso is, how good Oezil has been, how much I love Niles, how good of the save Courtois had to make today, how insanely good Lacazette is when he turns and shoots, how good of a game that was, and how wonderful football Arsenal plays.

But I am going to cancel all of that and say that the comedy entertainment I got from Morata today was absolutely superb. Just LOL at those three chances, please tell me that someone has the GIFs for those. I was laughing all game long! :laugh: As D2M said, deer in the headlights.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
If Morata finishes any of his three golden chances this is a different result.

And then two thunderbolt strikes after the ball deflects..

I think it's tough

Arsenal missed several chances as well. Along with that Sanchez shot going off both posts.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Arsenal missed several chances as well. Along with that Sanchez shot going off both posts.

Definitely true, both sides had a ton of chances (which is why I'm not angry about the draw). I do think Chelsea had more though, although none as soul-destroying as a strike hitting both posts.

EDIT: Just checked. Both sides had 6 shots on target, but Chelsea had 19 total to Arsenal's 14. And a bunch of the Chelsea strikes that went wide were very good chances (Zappa crossbar hit, Morata miss, etc.)

Reactions: KJS14

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Side note, something I didn't mention earlier, Courtois was absolutely incredible today. I think people often forget just how good of a keeper he is. Cech also played a very strong game, which he hasn't had many of this year.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Definitely true, both sides had a ton of chances (which is why I'm not angry about the draw). I do think Chelsea had more though, although none as soul-destroying as a strike hitting both posts.

EDIT: Just checked. Both sides had 6 shots on target, but Chelsea had 19 total to Arsenal's 14. And a bunch of the Chelsea strikes that went wide were very good chances (Zappa crossbar hit, Morata miss, etc.)

Difference is Morata is was never going to score today and Alexis would've if he gets that again.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Side note, something I didn't mention earlier, Courtois was absolutely incredible today. I think people often forget just how good of a keeper he is. Cech also played a very strong game, which he hasn't had many of this year.

Courtois is an amazing keeper better than DDG at Atleti.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Difference is Morata is was never going to score today and Alexis would've if he gets that again.

Reason why that hit the post was because of world-class keeping from Courtois on the play, though. Not to mention that there was also Zappacosta's crossbar hit, Alonso's header which Cech got fingertips to, etc.

I honestly can't get over how bad that first Morata miss was, though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think he got overrated when he came to Chelsea after his loan and there are ones I would clearly take over him, he's still a WC goalkeeper. As how bad the CB talent has been the last four or so years, the goalkeeping talent keeps on getting better with the likes of Neuer, de Gea, Courtois, Lloris, Oblak, Handanovic, Ruffier, Leno, Navas, Asenjo, Burki, Horn, Casillas, Patricio, Lopes, ter Stegan, Donnarumma, Ederson, Rico, Arrizabalaga, Butland...

and cannot forget the legend himself, Buffon. That's quite the depth.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Good thing is we get to see this again next week. And then again a week after that.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yep. Both teams can fixture congest their way into oblivion with games like this while the other top four contenders don't have to play.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Reason why that hit the post was because of world-class keeping from Courtois on the play, though. Not to mention that there was also Zappacosta's crossbar hit, Alonso's header which Cech got fingertips to, etc.

I honestly can't get over how bad that first Morata miss was, though.

And he might not have touched it if Alexis get that chance again. While Morata never looked like scoring.

I'd rank DDG slightly ahead of Courtois, but both are undeniably world class.

Right now yeah, DDG is better but at their time in Atleti, TC was the better keeper. DDG is still overrated on here and by EPL fans in general who claim he's better than Nuer.

I think he got overrated when he came to Chelsea after his loan and there are ones I would clearly take over him, he's still a WC goalkeeper. As how bad the CB talent has been the last four or so years, the goalkeeping talent keeps on getting better with the likes of Neuer, de Gea, Courtois, Lloris, Oblak, Handanovic, Ruffier, Leno, Navas, Asenjo, Burki, Horn, Casillas, Patricio, Lopes, ter Stegan, Donnarumma, Ederson, Rico, Arrizabalaga, Butland...

and cannot forget the legend himself, Buffon. That's quite the depth.

RULLI!

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
And he might not have touched it if Alexis get that chance again. While Morata never looked like scoring.

Right now yeah, DDG is better but at their time in Atleti, TC was the better keeper. DDG is still overrated on here and by EPL fans in general who claim he's better than Nuer.

RULLI!

I'm not one to think DDG is better than Neuer, but my roommate is a Man United fan so I know exactly what you mean.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Neuer is a better overall keeper, but we never have to see him win games all by himself so it's hard to judge. On top of that the game de Gea had at Arsenal this year is probably in the top three of all-time best goalkeeping performances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad