GWT: PL Round 22

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think DDG is a better shot stopper than Neuer, best in the world IMO. But not a better all round keeper than Neuer that's for sure.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Saw these charts on twitter a couple days ago comparing expected goals and actual goals conceded:

DSS2RwaX4AMdU6Y.jpg

DSNNV-cXkAA45AO.jpg

Neuer and DDG both elite shot stoppers with DDG having higher peaks but generally being a bit lower the past four years. Of course he barely played this year and DDG has had a monster year thus far.

Reactions: KJS14

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Neuer is a better overall keeper, but we never have to see him win games all by himself so it's hard to judge. On top of that the game de Gea had at Arsenal this year is probably in the top three of all-time best goalkeeping performances.

DDG is a fantastic keeper but he's no Neuer. Not in any category is he better.

Who thinks DDG is better than Neuer?

Guardian and 442 both had DDG ranked way ahead of Neuer.

as well as people in everyday life.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Going back to the Hazard penalty, I admit it would have been tough for the ref not to give a penalty there. It was a soft penalty but the contact was so obvious.

But Hazard's antics were just as bad as any simulation. Bellerin made contact with the bottom of his boot, yet his foot comes down, not up, and then he falls to the ground like he's been shot. And then he grabs his shin rather than his foot to top it all off. Players like him and Ander Herrera, among others, consistently pull stuff like this and should be looked at retroactively just as potential simulation is reviewed.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Embellishment isn't the same as simulation.

Yes, which is why I said excessive theatrics (embellishment) should be reviewed just as simulation can be reviewed. I've referenced both separately throughout the game.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
After Lanzini, I'm exceedingly interested in seeing who gets a ban for conning a penalty.

Anyone honestly think Hazard is held up to the same standard?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'm not sure that meets the standard for a ban, but I don't know. Never seen a penalty like that where I really have no idea if the official should have called it or not.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Hazard isn't getting banned.

It was a foul and therefore not deception of the referee, It doesn't matter if it's soft or not, the ban is only for literal diving.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Isn’t that good news for Tottenham?
Ask any Tottenham supporter and they would say no. Both times he had our games this season he was awful. Not that we deserved points in the NLD anyway, but he robbed us of two points against Swansea.

kg458

Capstronaut
Jan 31, 2008
Boston
Conning a referee, is conning a referee. They should absolutely review it.

Anyone that's watching can spot over the top when they see it. Not every embellishment qualifies.

It's a lot less clear cut than diving though. Looking for no contact at all is a lot simpler than trying to quantify how much pain someone should feel, or how they should react to, being fouled.

I think he embellished the hell out of it but he could clearly point to the tape, show where he was fouled, and then make up whatever bullshit he wanted to justify how he reacted. Plus, in other sports we've seen that officials constantly struggle with properly handling judgement calls, even after the fact...

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Personally I think it was ridiculous but it is what it is, there's not really anything to review, calls like that get made. The "handball" penalty last game was worse I'd say, but at least now Arsenal can also start tallying how many points they've been screwed out of by the refs :laugh:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Arnautovic not in the squad to be "rested" (tweaked a hamstring in training) and a bunch of kids on the bench (plus Ayew & Carroll).

This could get ugly today against Tottenham. Zero attacking ability in the starting lineup aside from Lanzini and Chicharito.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hazard's penalty might technically be a penalty according to the rule book, but giving penalties out like the one Taylor did is why players will dive and will continue to dive. Will embellish and will continue to embellish.

America had anti-African American rules in the 1950s and 1960s, doesn't mean those rules are right. Neither is the little contact Bellerin had on Hazard's boot. We've all seen more contact in box which wasn't given a penalty, pretty much every corner kick with the amount of chequing and shirt pulling being conducted in the box. That is why this should be considered a disgraceful and horrible call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->