GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 32 & 33 - not the Ndombele thread

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah I can't say I have any interest in watching this game at all. Boycott is one of the only things that will do anything.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Yeah, no point in taking care about their attempts to qualify for a competition they don't even want to be part of anyway.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Not looking forward to the cognitive dissonance I'll have watching Chelsea-Brighton tomorrow, where I'll so badly want the team to win because I'm invested in the players (who have nothing to do with this) and invested in the club that I love so much, but then will also be struggling with my anger that they signed onto the f***ing ESL project (even if they weren't drivers of the process like a few other English clubs were)

Reactions: Blender

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Not looking forward to the cognitive dissonance I'll have watching Chelsea-Brighton tomorrow, where I'll so badly want the team to win because I'm invested in the players (who have nothing to do with this) and invested in the club that I love so much, but then will also be struggling with my anger that they signed onto the f***ing ESL project (even if they weren't drivers of the process like a few other English clubs were)

I mean, if you want to try and rationalize it away as Chelsea being less at fault, I guess that's your deal. Though, then again, there's enough blame for where the sport is to go around.

But for your first parts of the statement, I'm with you.

My thing is, I don't support the owners. I support the club, the players, the manager. So... I can't distance it

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They all signed on so they're all equally to blame. I don't care if one of them said they would go bankrupt by the end of the season if they didn't do it. Sell the club then.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I mean, if you want to try and rationalize it away as Chelsea being less at fault, I guess that's your deal. Though, then again, there's enough blame for where the sport is to go around.

But for your first parts of the statement, I'm with you.

My thing is, I don't support the owners. I support the club, the players, the manager. So... I can't distance it
You've been parroting every one of these owner talking points in the other thread, so it's really a distinction without a difference. In no sport in the world do "storied" teams (Lakers, Yankees, Leafs, whoever) get to dictate when, where, and how much money/opportunity/shortcuts they get based on their supposed value as opposed to everyone else. I don't care what Liverpool thinks they contribute to broadcasting and revenue, that doesn't make them deserve competitive advantage and money in perpetuity. It's abhorrent.

If this gets solved by shoving more concessions their way we'll just be here in 5/10/20 years because that's how these people think and operate.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
To be fair, also, in the case of those American leagues, we tried to have different leagues. We tried to have other teams too. It didn't work. In Europe it worked. You don't mess with things that work.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Didn’t watch a minute. Told my friend to bet on a draw at +350 though.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
You've been parroting every one of these owner talking points in the other thread, so it's really a distinction without a difference. In no sport in the world do "storied" teams (Lakers, Yankees, Leafs, whoever) get to dictate when, where, and how much money/opportunity/shortcuts they get based on their supposed value as opposed to everyone else. I don't care what Liverpool thinks they contribute to broadcasting and revenue, that doesn't make them deserve competitive advantage and money in perpetuity. It's abhorrent.

If this gets solved by shoving more concessions their way we'll just be here in 5/10/20 years because that's how these people think and operate.

I mean they don’t dictate it, but let’s not pretend like it’s not there. All these storied/monied clubs absolutely have an advantage over everyone else. Is it just because there is a veil of uncertainty that we are OK with it?

As someone that lives in LA I can tell you absolutely the Dodgers and Lakers have ridiculous advantages over other teams. Let’s take Milwaukee for example, as hard as the brewers/bucks try, it’s basically impossible for them to compete with either team. Hell there is a better chance yelich or giannis win a championship in LA then with the teams they are currently signed for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad