GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 31

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
For the record I was actually joking when I said that....then it turned out true.
For the record I was replying to @Jersey Fresh about it being VAR’ed out during the replay, before the purple screen came up. Didn’t bother celebrating because I knew already. It’s been that kind of season

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
As a Chelsea supporter, I don't mind that being ruled out, but plays like that shouldn't be ruled offside. Again VAR keeps on ruining the game, as opposed to previous interpretation of favouring the attacker in close call situations.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Honestly, can anyone without googling say what the actual rule is? Is it arm? Elbow? Arm pit? Finger tips? Feet? It just doesn’t seem to even make any sense.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
And that’s why you take away the zoom button and the Apple Pencil.
This. Again.

what an awesome post.

it is the easiest fix. Call stands if you don’t have to squint and draw arbitrary lines. If naked eye can’t see it, call of field stands.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Honestly, can anyone without googling say what the actual rule is? Is it arm? Elbow? Arm pit? Finger tips? Feet? It just doesn’t seem to even make any sense.

I don’t know if it’s IFAB, but at least for the PL it’s the bottom of the patch on the shoulder which is basically the bottom of your deltoid muscle.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don’t know if it’s IFAB, but at least for the PL it’s the bottom of the patch on the shoulder which is basically the bottom of your deltoid muscle.
Admittedly, I’m watching this while hurtling down the road (wife driving) on a phone, but it looked like they were drawing off the elbow. It just seems to be arbitrary each time

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I can't think of any rule or interpretation of a rule that's impacted the viewing quality of any sport like this has.
It's completely ridiculous at this point.

Has any player, manager, journalist or spectator come out and said: "Wow, this is just what the game needed and it's so much better now"?

Heck, has even any ref or UEFA/FIFA official said that?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Has any player, manager, journalist or spectator come out and said: "Wow, this is just what the game needed and it's so much better now"?

Heck, has even any ref or UEFA/FIFA official said that?
They get electrically shocked if they do

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I'm a little bit late in saying this here, but the offside solution is pretty obvious to me (under the current offside rules):

If you can't tell from looking at a still frame whether a player was offside or not, then the original call needs to stand. Even the best linesmen in the world cannot possibly discern millimeter differences in real-time, and the advantage gained is so insignificant that it cannot be said to have any real effect on how the play turned out.

Seeing these lines being drawn on my television is an infuriating experience, and I say that as someone who has no favorite team in the Premier League. Get this crap out of the sport. VAR in general is a fine thing to have, but, unfortunately, some of it's uses and general application are no better than how this sport was pre-VAR.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I still don’t understand why epl has struggled the most with it
They haven't used VAR even close to the way they said it would be used or the way it is used in most leagues. Shearer went on a rant about this last year close to the end of the season, as he was on the panel that was discussing the implementation of VAR, and the way they have used it is not how it was presented to them.

Reactions: gary69

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Hadnt scored a non penalty goal at Anfield in over 8 matches before that. Last time was Mane against West Brom.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
They haven't used VAR even close to the way they said it would be used or the way it is used in most leagues. Shearer went on a rant about this last year close to the end of the season, as he was on the panel that was discussing the implementation of VAR, and the way they have used it is not how it was presented to them.

its bizarre I don’t see any other league counting the hairs of players to deem it offside

Reactions: Blender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad