GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 30: Project Restart

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't disagree that someone should be able to step in, but if their reliance is purely on the goal line tech to make those decisions I'm not sure they have the power to step in on it without the ref making that call on the field.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Half time crew on DAZN saying it might be a technical malfunction. Shouldn't the fourth official step in that case?
Likewise but the 4th official probably does not know that the technology is off.. Imagine going against a supposed bulletproof technology and getting it wrong. You would look dumb and possibly out of job.

My take, the technology was not turned on... it seems pretty obvious.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I just don't understand how this is so difficult for the premier league to utilize GLT and VAR properly. This is clear as day. I don't think any other league struggles with video review as much as the Premier league does
Their entire implementation of it has been a disaster. Even the people who were involved in the consultations and planning for it over the last few years like Alan Shearer have been shocked at how badly they have bungled actually implementing it.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I just don't understand how this is so difficult for the premier league to utilize GLT and VAR properly. This is clear as day. I don't think any other league struggles with video review as much as the Premier league does

In fairness, this is the first time I've ever seen GDS/GLT fail.

VAR's obviously been a cluster, but goal line has been the one thing that the PL has done objectively the best in the world prior to today.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
In fairness, this is the first time I've ever seen GDS/GLT fail.

VAR's obviously been a cluster, but goal line has been the one thing that the PL has done objectively the best in the world prior to today.
Yes GLT has obviously been very good. The failure here again is that the implementation of VAR is overly specific and not actually being used to find "clear and obvious errors" like it was intended for. I'm guessing VAR has no authority to even call this a goal even if they spotted it.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Likewise but the 4th official probably does not know that the technology is off.. Imagine going against a supposed bulletproof technology and getting it wrong. You would look dumb and possibly out of job.

My take, the technology was not turned on... it seems pretty obvious.

VAR didn't have to overturn it right away. There was a stoppage in play 20 seconds later at the other end of the pitch, they could easily have taken a minute or two at that point to do a thorough check.

The fact that the networks haven't got the GDS replay like they always do (whether it's in or not), tells you that something was out of the ordinary here and VAR should have stepped in to make sure everything was right.

This could literally cost Sheffield champions league or keep Villa up.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I prefer the Bundesliga atmosphere of not having fake crowd noise but being able to hear the players/coaches sometimes.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If Sheffield get Europe they will use that money to make Henderson permanent, I'm fairly certain of this

United would ask for a *ton* of money to sell him within England permanently. Everyone in the organization views him as the keeper of the future and the only question is how to move from de gea to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad