GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 30: Project Restart

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Wow. Goal line technology failed there.

That was unquestionably in and the contact was from his own player.
They've had months to fix VAR, and it's probably the exact same on restart here. Looking forward to more daily screw ups from it.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
If I'm Chris Wilder I'm losing my f***ing shit on the touchline right now.

Imagine if this game ends up being the difference between them getting Europe and not, it'd be the Tevez incident round 2.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Not even close. Easily a goal.

Tb6leXB.png

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Can't really blame Oliver on that one though. Refs have been told to trust the tech in close calls. There's tons of times where it looks in but goal line (correctly) says it isn't or vice-versa.

My guess is the issue with the keeper holding the ball and holding it right near the post is what tripped the tech up.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
What does VAR have to do with it?
They should have reviewed that and made the correct call. I assume Oliver relied on goal line technology and didn't have a great view.

This is an embarrassing start to the EPL being back.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
The implications for both the relegation battle and the European spots are huge in this game. That is a major blunder and brutal way to start this restart of games.

It's a shame too, because it's a f*** up that doesn't have anything to do with it being the first game back (assuming that the issue isn't that they forgot to turn on goal line tech after the long break lol), but might end up tarnishing it a bit.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
They never showed the view over the top of the net like they do with goal line technology.

The technology failed

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Half time crew on DAZN saying it might be a technical malfunction. Shouldn't the fourth official step in that case?

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I just don't understand how this is so difficult for the premier league to utilize GLT and VAR properly. This is clear as day. I don't think any other league struggles with video review as much as the Premier league does

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Right but they don't use VAR to check if the ball crossed the line. That's a goal line tech issue not a VAR one.

Would be pretty stupid for VAR not to be able to overrule a clear GDS mistake. I mean, it's possible GDS screws up. The system crashes right as something comes close but there's clear video evidence of it being over.

This is objective proof of a GDS mistake, having VAR, but not letting it review it seems silly.

Although, silly is pretty much par for the course in how VAR has been in the PL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad