GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 30: Project Restart

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

It is very obvious to anyone that Liverpool have the worst squad depth of all top 6 teams bare maybe Arsenal. It is a bit of a miracle that they have dominated that much the past 2/3 years.

I always asked the same questions on how LFC cannot even afford a €50M squad player while this is standard for Chelsea, City and United. I was told LFC need to offer new contracts to their top players (fair enough but all teams have to deal with this). I think FSG might have financial difficulties or simply does not care much about the team as much as they should.

I mean COVID is unprecedent event and the full repercussion are yet unknown. What we know is that LFC have not spend anything last summer. They have the best manager in the world which help hide their warts. They have been relatively healthy this year relative to other top teams. They declared record profit the past 2 years. And more importantly next year they will miss 3 key players for 6 weeks in the middle of the season. Not getting quality depth is suicidal and a bit arrogant from top management.

They might not have available money now, but there are ways from them to use banks to leverage these funds. I mean just last summer Arsenal contracted a €120M loan from banks to finance their summer transfers. It does not have to come from LFC owner own pocket.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It is very obvious to anyone that Liverpool have the worst squad depth of all top 6 teams bare maybe Arsenal. It is a bit of a miracle that they have dominated that much the past 2/3 years.

I always asked the same questions on how LFC cannot even afford a €50M squad player while this is standard for Chelsea, City and United. I was told LFC need to offer new contracts to their top players (fair enough but all teams have to deal with this). I think FSG might have financial difficulties or simply does not care much about the team as much as they should.

I mean COVID is unprecedent event and the full repercussion are yet unknown. What we know is that LFC have not spend anything last summer. They have the best manager in the world which help hide their warts. They have been relatively healthy this year relative to other top teams. They declared record profit the past 2 years. And more importantly next year they will miss 3 key players for 6 weeks in the middle of the season. Not getting quality depth is suicidal and a bit arrogant from top management.

They might not have available money now, but there are ways from them to use banks to leverage these funds. I mean just last summer Arsenal contracted a €120M loan from banks to finance their summer transfers. It does not have to come from LFC owner own pocket.
LFC should not be relying on loans to fund moves. I’m very glad that they don’t. I don’t agree with that take at all.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
LFC should not be relying on loans to fund moves. I’m very glad that they don’t. I don’t agree with that take at all.
This is normal practice in all Business.

If LFC drop out of CL next year we will have another talk. The monetary impact would be significantly far greater than loan + interest.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This is normal practice in all Business.

If LFC drop out of CL next year we will have another talk. The monetary impact would be significantly far greater than loan + interest.
It is not normal practice for FSG. If anyone drops out of CL there will be issues. That is not a Liverpool problem. Taking out loans is not good for financial health of the team. It’s a band aid and presents problems as well. Liverpool is sustainable now. I’m not throwing that away

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Almost everything FSG has done since taking over has been to clear existing debt so the club can self-sustain. They borrowed for the Main Stand, but that is something that they expect to eventually pay for itself.

Reactions: Savant

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I'm confused. Did they not win the CL after being in the final the year before? Did they not run away with the title this year?

I get that they're not spending like they found some oil money, but until they fall apart, they probably deserve a bit more of the benefit of the doubt.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Somebody should find out whose plane it is and out them.

The plane has been identified as one from Blackpool - the firm that operates it was apparently behind the 'Moyes Out' banner that flew over Old Trafford a few years back, as well as various similar acts of futility.

The proprietor claims previously to have flown BLM banners.

Read it, and rejoice at such noble impartiality: Burnley 'ashamed and embarrassed' by banner flown above Etihad Stadium during Man City game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad