GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 28

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
3 teams won the league in the 2000’s and united and Chelsea really dominated the end of the 2000’s. 2010-2020 has had 5 teams win the league(counting Liverpool this year cuz duh) so that alone makes the league more “unpredictable”. And that’s before you add in that you have 6 teams competing for the top 4 spots instead of 4.

Doesn’t change the fact that the best teams had much less points, the bottom teams more and that the league was much closer. It is a lot harder to get a lot of points in a league like that, no way around it.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Money is also a huge factor regarding top 6.

I mean in the 80's many teams did not have money to even scout players outside their country. Most transfer were in the thousands, not in the millions. I think Chelsea emergence with their huge financial power also kind of created that problem. Manchester city just amplified it lately.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Obviously it sucks for Liverpool to lose but this is also a potential blessing. Go all in on the CL, maybe even the FA Cup too. Rest some players in the league, get some youth players some games, see if any of the squad players are worth keeping, etc.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I honestly am glad all this invincible nonsense is over. Coronavirus is going to end the season early anyway right

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Obviously it sucks for Liverpool to lose but this is also a potential blessing. Go all in on the CL, maybe even the FA Cup too. Rest some players in the league, get some youth players some games, see if any of the squad players are worth keeping, etc.
Kloppo seemed to imply in the post game that there's going to be a bit of a refocus now and that's the sense I get.

The message for this team has always been one game at a time. That's how they got where they are. Lately we've been counting the games we already won and the games we still have to win and it shows. Despite the fact that they don't look it, they're human.

Tuesday is a must-win game which is new for this team, and I'm expecting them to show us a lot more.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I'll see it when I believe if they cancel a season because of this. They will postpone games or behind closed doors.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It would be silly to end the season because of what is essentially a flu but given the sensationalism it wouldnt surprise me.
The sensationalism is insane to me. I mean be aware, but it’s basically just the flu. Wash your hands, cover your mouth when you cough, don’t drink off someone else’s straw.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...to Watford...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

No ONE will ever be better than The Invicibles. I suggest that all the records broken by Liverpool loss today won't be replicated by them. They got a lot of fortunate bounces during that streak, they're damn good, but not as good as some of those streaks say.

Reactions: AB13

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...to Watford...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

No ONE will ever be better than The Invicibles. I suggest that all the records broken by Liverpool loss today won't be replicated by them. They got a lot of fortunate bounces during that streak, they're damn good, but not as good as some of those streaks say.

Already won more games in a row two times than Arsenal has ever won in a row in their history and won a trophy the Invincibles never won. But yeah, tell me more

Last edited:
Reactions: Machinehead

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
That's why you don't talk about going undefeated way too early into the season.

Unbelievable how much stock Arsenal supporters put in their undefeated season. It's impressive to be sure, but they had something like 12 draws and have only that league title to show for it. I'd take any number of losses and a double or a treble over an undefeated league season.

Reactions: mmvvpp and Venkman

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
You hate to see that. Looked like his foot just kinda stuck in the turf and his knee got twisted.

The "shoulder" rule is bullshit, although it shouldn't have been applicable here anyway. Van Dijk clearly pushes him and injures the player in the process.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The real common thread in Liverpool's losses, scarce as they are, is that almost all of them happen when Lovren is playing. He makes everyone nervous. VVD has lost one league game that Lovren did not start. If you really wanna have a laugh, that was also the first league game that VVD played for Liverpool. In January 2018.

Lovren was already certainly leaving in the summer, at least. That's still a crazy stat.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I never understood the constant love of Lovren by Klopp.
Over the years it was obvious that some players were not his favourites but he moved on without them but in the case of Lovren he is still there. I truly hope for his sake and all LFC sake that it is the last year with Lovren.

I would also start entertaining offers for Salah. He is a great guy but I do think he is way too selfish now and his work rate does not fit LFC. I know this is controversial but I am in the camp to sell high instead of selling low and his form has been constantly declining since his first season with Liverpool.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The real common thread in Liverpool's losses, scarce as they are, is that almost all of them happen when Lovren is playing. He makes everyone nervous. VVD has lost one league game that Lovren did not start. If you really wanna have a laugh, that was also the first league game that VVD played for Liverpool. In January 2018.

Lovren was already certainly leaving in the summer, at least. That's still a crazy stat.
TAA was a bigger reason why they lost that game more than Lovren. Actually the entire team looked quite pedestrian and Allison was caught in no man's land for two of the three goals. I still suggest that Liverpool's midfield is extremely weak, Fabinho is the top prize, but Ox just recently got healthy, Keita probably will never become what his potential was, Wijnaldum is a Spurs level player, and then they got a lot of arse after that. Henderson and Milner aren't very talented, but they make up for it with leadership and experience (neither one is getting younger though, so sharp decline is possible).

Compared to other teams' midfields, they're one of the worse off...

- Real Madrid: Casmeiro, Kroos, Modric, Isco, and Valverde.
- Barca: Busquets, de Jong, Arthur, Rakitic, and Puig.
- Man City: Rodri, Gundogan, Foden, de Bruyne, and D. Silva.
- Bayern: Kimmich, Thiago, Goretzka, Tolisso, and Coutinho.
- Atletico: Thomas, Saul, and Koke.

One LFC midfield I would take over is PSG, but Paris makes up for it with a superior weaponry of attack with di Maria, Neymar, Mbappe, and Icardi. Other one is Juve, but that's because they're a super ageing club and will need to conduct a retool soon.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
This dude really just used Foden, Lemar, and Puig as arguments that these teams have better midfield lmao

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
Already won more games in a row two times than Arsenal has ever won in a row in their history and won a trophy the Invincibles never won. But yeah, tell me more

Are yours golden? No it’s not!

Havent seen Liverpool done a single impressive game the whole season. Won games sure, but not impressed at all.

Reactions: AB13

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Lmao don’t quote me and write that blatantly obviously wrong trash. Maybe you aren’t used to watching a team that wins or something.

That it took 28 games for clearly genius posts like the one above to be posted says all that anyone needs to say. You had to wait all the way until March to troll.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I mean Watford played the best game of the season for Arsenal (and most other teams it would seem) which pretty much speaks for itself.

That said the hate/trolling shouldn’t be unexpected. Everyone was waiting to jump on when Liverpool lost. SEPH’s player evaluation is amusing though.

Also I find it weird that everyone is looking to scapegoat Lovren for that game. He was no more to blame than most of the team. They were all pretty poor and the team has looked pretty toothless a lot recently.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
When you haven't won a Premier League title in 16 years and are the only one of the classic "big 4" not to have won a Champions League (or even made it to the final in 15 years), what else do you have to hold onto besides the invincibles season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad