GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 28

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Sad thing is that I liked a lot of what they did today. One of the few games where they were able to clearly win possession, lots of passes connecting. But they consistently fail to hold leads.

Exactly. Vintage Arsenal.

Personally I don´t care that much about possession. Having the ball is nice, but far more important what you do with it when you got it. We weren´t horrible, but how many good chances did we create? Not that Wolverhampton created more, but at home against a team that played on Thursday I expect more.

Also quite disappointed with Mourinho. Alli weren´t up for it - spending more time moaning at teammates rather than chasing the ball. And rather ridiculous how he just keeps on falling over. Bergwijn is good for 50-60 mins, but clearly not fit to play 90. Then again with the way we were set up Mourinho could hardly start to replace his attacking players after Wolverhampton´s 3. goal.

I don´t think it is a disaster not ending up top 4. I think this team needs to get the new players in N´Dombele, Lo Celso, Bergwijn, Fernandes, Tanganga etc. fully integrated more than replacing that many more, but rather sad not making it still considering how average teams like Chelsea and Man Utd are. Now I just hope we don´t have to play EL next year - and that we can surprise in the FA cup.

Reactions: Jack Straw

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Not saying Azpilicuetas goal should not have counted, a little consistency is all I ask.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Why did they bench Vertonghen and Alderwiereld?

Vertonghen "#%%"%$". I mean I love him and he probably had his best season in his career last year, but this year he has been unbelievably poor. One of the worst CDs I have ever seen at Spurs. And that is a long long long list of crap he is "up against". I don´t know what happened with him, but so it is.

Alderweireld was rested I guess. Also been ""%#$# since he became a father again. Completely off the pace. I have no worry that he will be OK again, but he is hardly that good any longer. Sanchez this last month has been our best defender by far.

Then Mourinho wanted Tanganga against Traore. That almost worked. He played well except for a couple of the goals. I don´t blame him much for 1-1, but clearly he could have done better (who knows why Dier misses though) and for 3-2 he is rather poor (again who knows where Dier was).

Then I think the idea was that Dier would be a hybrid midfield player. Used to work under Pochettino some years ago.

Bit of an odd game. How many proper goal scoring chances? 7? And 5 goals. Both teams basically scored on what they created - so apart from the goals I thought the 3 CDs did well - a bit sad saying "apart from the goals" though - goals do matter.

Reactions: Cassano

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Mixed game by De Gea, awful mistake but some good saves too. Henderson should be getting chances next season though. Maybe the Cups and Europe.

With how Henderson has played this year, I'm borderline on just calling him the starter next year in the PL and letting Romero take Cups and Europa (Henderson CL if that happens)

Reactions: Venkman

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Exactly. Vintage Arsenal.

Personally I don´t care that much about possession. Having the ball is nice, but far more important what you do with it when you got it. We weren´t horrible, but how many good chances did we create? Not that Wolverhampton created more, but at home against a team that played on Thursday I expect more.

Also quite disappointed with Mourinho. Alli weren´t up for it - spending more time moaning at teammates rather than chasing the ball. And rather ridiculous how he just keeps on falling over. Bergwijn is good for 50-60 mins, but clearly not fit to play 90. Then again with the way we were set up Mourinho could hardly start to replace his attacking players after Wolverhampton´s 3. goal.

I don´t think it is a disaster not ending up top 4. I think this team needs to get the new players in N´Dombele, Lo Celso, Bergwijn, Fernandes, Tanganga etc. fully integrated more than replacing that many more, but rather sad not making it still considering how average teams like Chelsea and Man Utd are. Now I just hope we don´t have to play EL next year - and that we can surprise in the FA cup.

Completely agree that working the new guys in is probably the most important thing for this season. I really like what I’ve seen of Bergwijn so far.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I honestly don´t know what Sigurdsson was thinking? Just sitting there he is basically ensuring that Everton cannot score. Why didn´t he get up? Or at least try to crawl out of the way? I would have been furious if I was Ancelotti, a team mate or an Everton fan.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
With how Henderson has played this year, I'm borderline on just calling him the starter next year in the PL and letting Romero take Cups and Europa (Henderson CL if that happens)
Same. I kinda knew DDG was going to regress somewhat early and fairly quickly due to his play style but I didn’t think it would start yet. He doesn’t have the elite positioning or IQ to offset his insane physical skills declining.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Completely agree that working the new guys in is probably the most important thing for this season. I really like what I’ve seen of Bergwijn so far.

Yeah. He looks good. Strong and intelligent. I like Fernandes as well. I actually like the potential of all the names I mentioned. Add the likes of Kane, Son and a couple of others and it isn´t that bad. Only positions I don´t see much hope at is stands is on both full backs. Aurier is fine as a no. 2, but not as a first choice. I don´t think Sessegnon will ever be good enough (that is early days though). Davies is obviously not up for it and never will be. Aarons and a left back would do wonders for the team.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I don't buy the notion that the league was so much better back then. It seems like baseless nostalgia.

The 2003-4 Arsenal team is one of the best I've ever seen, but their unbeaten run was made easier by the fact that the league overall was utter garbage.

I know, because I supported the team that finished the season with 56 points, two away wins and 13 victories overall, and scarcely putting together one completely fluent performance from August through to the following May. They finished fifth, a mere four points short of the final Champions League spot, having been in contention for it entering the campaign's last week. And throughout, me and my little group of fellow matchgoing Mags would repeat the same basic point:

"It's a good job the league's shit, or else we'd not stand a chance of qualifying for the Champions League playing like this."

There were only three foreign coaches in the entire league: Wenger, Ranieri and late-stage, worn-out Gerard Houllier.

David O'Leary, Steve Bruce, Sam Allardyce, Alan Curbishley, David Moyes and Steve McClaren amounted to the vanguard of promising coaches from the UK and Ireland. It was the first season following Abramovitch's purchase of Chelsea, and almost everyone responded by playing resigned, risk-averse football.

The league wouldn't improve until 2006, and the prospect of a TV money bonanza causing more clubs to elevate their ambitions.

Reactions: Machinehead

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Blackburn was like 1995’s Leicester City

An inexact analogy, I'd suggest - they were more like 1995's Chelsea or Manchester City: a club who'd been transformed from also-rans into consistent contenders by a sugar daddy. (Two sugar daddies in Chelsea's case, if we recall the tragic Matthew Harding's investment in the mid 90s that helped end the Blues' trophy drought).

The slight difference was that Rovers' benefactor, Jack Walker, was a Blackburn lad who wanted to give something back to his home town, which granted the project a slightly more human air.

Blackburn went into 94-95 acknowledged as one of the top two teams in the league by most pundits - in mid-April of 93/94 they'd been level on points with Manchester United's outstanding team, before the Red Devils pulled clear in the final stretch. Rovers' response had been to add English record signing Chris Sutton to partner Alan Shearer, who went into the season considered one of the league's top two players. Tim Flowers was known to be one of the best English goalkeepers. David Batty had been part of Leeds' title-winning 1992 team. Kenny Dalglish as a manager alone had won three league titles and a pair of FA Cups.

No such expectations or financial clout attended Leicester going into 2015-16.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
The 2003-4 Arsenal team is one of the best I've ever seen, but their unbeaten run was made easier by the fact that the league overall was utter garbage.

I know, because I supported the team that finished the season with 56 points, two away wins and 13 victories overall, and scarcely putting together one completely fluent performance from August through to the following May. They finished fifth, a mere four points short of the final Champions League spot, having been in contention for it entering the campaign's last week. And throughout, me and my little group of fellow matchgoing Mags would repeat the same basic point:

"It's a good job the league's shit, or else we'd not stand a chance of qualifying for the Champions League playing like this."

There were only three foreign coaches in the entire league: Wenger, Ranieri and late-stage, worn-out Gerard Houllier.

David O'Leary, Steve Bruce, Sam Allardyce, Alan Curbishley, David Moyes and Steve McClaren amounted to the vanguard of promising coaches from the UK and Ireland. It was the first season following Abramovitch's purchase of Chelsea, and almost everyone responded by playing resigned, risk-averse football.

The league wouldn't improve until 2006, and the prospect of a TV money bonanza causing more clubs to elevate their ambitions.
Every top team had lower point totals, because the league was closer. Chelsea, United and Liverpool all had some of the best teams they have ever had in the PL era. TV money only made the league easier for top clubs since the bottom and mid table teams no longer could put up a fight.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Every top team had lower point totals, because the league was closer. Chelsea, United and Liverpool all had some of the best teams they have ever had in the PL era. TV money only made the league easier for top clubs since the bottom and mid table teams no longer could put up a fight.
The mid-lower tier teams have significantly better teams than they did 10 years ago though? The issue is that United, Arsenal, and Liverpool til about 3-4 years ago had/have no clue how to spend the money that they have. United lost the GOAT manager and as good of a CEO you will find and haven’t replaced them properly. Arsenal was able to get by on a great manager that faded as he got older. Liverpool spent big at times to keep up but spent terribly for a long time. Now one of those clubs has gotten an elite manager and ownership that is actually capable of building a team based on elite analytics usage and having managerial input that is as good as it gets.

You’re letting nostalgia blur the present. City is better than they were and so is Liverpool, but every top 6 team is worse than they were while the bottom 14 is better than they were. I mean the Felipe Anderson’s, Payets, and Richarlisons would never end up at West Ham and Everton before the new TV deal.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
The mid-lower tier teams have significantly better teams than they did 10 years ago though? The issue is that United, Arsenal, and Liverpool til about 3-4 years ago had/have no clue how to spend the money that they have. United lost the GOAT manager and as good of a CEO you will find and haven’t replaced them properly. Arsenal was able to get by on a great manager that faded as he got older. Liverpool spent big at times to keep up but spent terribly for a long time. Now one of those clubs has gotten an elite manager and ownership that is actually capable of building a team based on elite analytics usage and having managerial input that is as good as it gets.

You’re letting nostalgia blur the present. City is better than they were and so is Liverpool, but every top 6 team is worse than they were while the bottom 14 is better than they were. I mean the Felipe Anderson’s, Payets, and Richarlisons would never end up at West Ham and Everton before the new TV deal.
Better at losing, I agree.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Rival fans trying to downplay Arsenal's Invincible Run?

Bullocks and bah-Humbug at that!!!

Ya loons are debating how strong one year was to another, but are forgetting one central principle, Liverpool lost to Watford. They didn't lose to Man City, Chelsea, Everton, LC, or even us, they lost to bloody Watford. Quite shan and full o'mince.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yes, they lost a game when the league was already won and there was a lack of motivation. None of the teams could do anything before they got that kind of lead though.

That they didn't lose a game to any of those good teams reflects better on them than you think it does. Consistently great against good teams every week.

You guys already have enough rivals that you lose to all the time, so stop trying to force a rivalry. Our fans do not want our team to be rivals with teams 42 points behind ours.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Arsenal fans are the new liverpool fans. Wah wah history wah wah prestige.

Do any of these goofs think that losing this game makes the title win worse? Genuine question. Demolished the whole lot, lost one game and drew one game. Still 22 points ahead of the only team that has a chance in hell of beating us for the title next season. Wow we really feel bad about our season because of that one game. I know that when I waited for the title all those seasons, it would only be a really good title win if they beat Watford two times, and now it's all ruined because they didn't.

Honestly, just give it a rest people.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad