GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 27

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Players playing too frequently due to injuries. They have no energy.
Bullshit excuse.

They have been MIA for months. The players are there they are just not there mentaly. They don't compete, they are not fluid, they always do the same tactics and they are creating awful turnovers into goals.

That is on Klopp and obviously the player like Mane/Firmino that needs to execute better.

Reactions: Machinehead

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm happy with the win, good stuff.

Game went exactly how I said it would, 1 goal game where there was a lot of passing but not nearly attacking enough to be considered an exciting encounter. Difference between this one and the Manchester United game is that Mount pulled off a great goal from distance. I still think our stature is too big to be resorting to tactics like this to scrape points.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
This cheesy hoofball would cause The Arsenal 0 problems. We need to beat Liverpool at Anfield next month. No excuses.

Reactions: Rob

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

Game went exactly how I said it would, 1 goal game where there was a lot of passing but not nearly attacking enough to be considered an exciting encounter. Difference between this one and the Manchester United game is that Mount pulled off a great goal from distance. I still think our stature is too big to be resorting to tactics like this to scrape points.
Eh, this felt very different from earlier ones under Tuchel. We created a pretty solid amount of chances, and with each passing match we've been creating more and more. I think this could be a good harbinger.

Reactions: Blender and Peen

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
The ideas are also getting stale. Whether injuries are part of it or not. When your fullbacks are your offense and they can’t do it, they don’t have options.

Firmino is done. I also suspect one of Mane or Salah have decided they’re going. Going to be interesting.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

You not happy with risk minimizing tactics? Litteraly all Chelsea sucess I can think of besides one season under Ancelotti is built on that. Thought you would enjoy it

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Bullshit excuse.

They have been MIA for months. The players are there they are just not there mentaly. They don't compete, they are not fluid, they always do the same tactics and they are creating awful turnovers into goals.

That is on Klopp and obviously the player like Mane/Firmino that needs to execute better.

Counting internationals Firmino has played 40 games in less than 5 months. He has barely any backup. Usually takes 9 months for a player to play that much. Isn't too difficult to figure out what the problem is unless you just want to be ignorant.

Yes some other players are playing that much too. Werner being one of them. I can only imagine why Werner looks like shit.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
The ideas are also getting stale. Whether injuries are part of it or not. When your fullbacks are your offense and they can’t do it, they don’t have options.

Firmino is done. I also suspect one of Mane or Salah have decided they’re going. Going to be interesting.
Liverpool won't miss Salah when he's gone because of Harvey Elliot. He obviously isn't on that level but he's a top player. Gerrard for Klopp. Elliot for Salah. Freshen it up.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
You not happy with risk minimizing tactics? Litteraly all Chelsea sucess I can think of besides one season under Ancelotti is built on that. Thought you would enjoy it
Playing defensive football with direct counter-attacking I have no problem with it. I loved the Conte teams especially for that, and we were still very defensive, but when we had the ball we would play a fast vertical attacking game trying to catch teams up field on the counter. These Tuchel tactics are very defensive when we don't have the ball and extremely passive when we do.

It's more like Sarri-ball than anything, and it's pretty dull to watch.

Reactions: AB13

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Eh, this felt very different from earlier ones under Tuchel. We created a pretty solid amount of chances, and with each passing match we've been creating more and more. I think this could be a good harbinger.
Agree that this was the best we’ve seen yet

I still don’t see us scoring from open play without Mount creating against Atleti

Reactions: Blender

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Playing defensive football with direct counter-attacking I have no problem with it. I loved the Conte teams especially for that, and we were still very defensive, but when we had the ball we would play a fast vertical attacking game trying to catch teams up field on the counter. These Tuchel tactics are very defensive when we don't have the ball and extremely passive when we do.
Conte was the best man

miss that guy

Reactions: Blender

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Bullshit excuse.

Right, like, how long do we keep using the burnout excuse when nobody has broken a sweat since early December?

I get the excuses for being a mid-table, inconsistent side. This is, right now, the 17th or 18th best team in the league that has taken most of the season off.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Playing defensive football with direct counter-attacking I have no problem with it. I loved the Conte teams especially for that, and we were still very defensive, but when we had the ball we would play a fast vertical attacking game trying to catch teams up field on the counter. These Tuchel tactics are very defensive when we don't have the ball and extremely passive when we do
It's more like Sarri-ball than anything, and it's pretty dull to watch.
I agree about Tuchel. That is why I don’t think he will be a long term sucess. Players will eventually get fed up of negative football.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Nobody's getting rid of Klopp
I agree. Yet, I will say, at some point, if it gets really bad, he’s going to want a break. It’s not completely there, but it’s close.

the compacted schedule, the death in the family, the obvious rebuild or retooling (whatever you want to call it), and what has clearly been a draining period for him, makes me feel there’s a chance he does not want to do the job. It was easy to extend when it was riding high. Now? He might rethink it. Especially if money is tight or he has to sell to buy, or whatever nonsense

Obviously, Liverpool let him stay as long as he wants (to an extent), but there is a world where they aren’t begging him to stay either.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I think we've been better today, but are still not playing to the strengths of our best players. Tuchel's press conference after the Manchester United game really pissed me off as well for the insight as to what he was trying to accomplish, a lot of comments about using his attacking players to play defense first and worry about attacking second.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Right, like, how long do we keep using the burnout excuse when nobody has broken a sweat since early December?

I get the excuses for being a mid-table, inconsistent side. This is, right now, the 17th or 18th best team in the league that has taken most of the season off.

The team is 12th in goals allowed. 2nd in xG. Only five teams have kept less clean sheets than Liverpool. I also count only three forwards in the entire league that have played more than Firmino and Salah. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what these stats mean.

The players have been driven into the ground, they're getting chances and they can't finish them, and the defense leaks goals like a sieve because our best player isn't there. That about sums it up. And until van Dijk returns everyone should expect this to continue. That is just how it is.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
6 months people claimed pep should be fired... klopp needs like 3 seasons before anyone should suggest this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad