GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 14

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I've never heard of a team using three 8's. Thats a new one. I've also never heard anyone describe Jorginho as a #8, and Kante's best usage isn't as a #8 either. Mount's end product numbers both years at Chelsea are terrible. This is having being played as a winger or #10 80+% of the time. Calling it an advanced 8 to not actually expect attacking output when Jorginho and Kante are behind him is disingenuous.
Kante’s best usage is most definitely an 8.

Reactions: Blender

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I've never heard of a team using three 8's. Thats a new one. I've also never heard anyone describe Jorginho as a #8, and Kante's best usage isn't as a #8 either. Mount's end product numbers both years at Chelsea are terrible. This is having being played as a winger or #10 80+% of the time. Calling it an advanced 8 to not actually expect attacking output when Jorginho and Kante are behind him is disingenuous.
Jorginho and Kante are 8 and this is Kante's best position.

Please :facepalm:

France won a WC with Zidane and Djorkaeff together in midfield.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Haha PB fell behind in the bad take competition and felt the need in this thread to try and jump back up.

Werner and Havertz have played well and will be even better next year after having adapted even more to the league.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You've never heard of the flat 4-3-3? Now Kante isn't an 8??? I just don't understand how you can be this wrong on so many different parts of this discussion...

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You've never heard of the flat 4-3-3? Now Kante isn't an 8??? I just don't understand how you can be this wrong on so many different parts of this discussion...

A flat 4-3-3 never actually plays out in that way. There are always differences in the positions they take up and the roles they play. Football is not played on a chalkboard.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
A flat 4-3-3 never actually plays out in that way. There are always differences in the positions they take up and the roles they play. Football is not played on a chalkboard.
Correct? You can play three 8’s who play different roles. Mount as an attacking B2B, Kante as the ball winner, Jorginho as the deeper playmaker. As Blender posted above their heat maps were all where an 8 would occupy...

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
In the game yesterday Jorginho at least played a pretty clear cut 6. To the point where it almost looked like a video game AI holding him in that position. Kante was playing a little more advanced, but it wasn't exactly an attacking midfield role either.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
In the game yesterday Jorginho at least played a pretty clear cut 6. To the point where it almost looked like a video game AI holding him in that position. Kante was playing a little more advanced, but it wasn't exactly an attacking midfield role either.
I'm not sure which game you were watching, but we were even discussing in this thread that he was making great runs forward and sideways to support the team. He would be the closest to a #6 of the 3 midfielders we used, but the point still remains that Mount and Kante were both playing as #8s. The heat maps I posted earlier should where their average touches were for all 4 midfielders that we played yesterday, and they are all operating in similar areas with Mount getting a bit more forward than the other two and Jorginho slightly behind the other 2. When Kovacic came on for Mount, it was even more of a "flat 3" in the midfield.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I'm not sure which game you were watching, but we were even discussing in this thread that he was making great runs forward and sideways to support the team. He would be the closest to a #6 of the 3 midfielders we used, but the point still remains that Mount and Kante were both playing as #8s. The heat maps I posted earlier should where their average touches were for all 4 midfielders that we played yesterday, and they are all operating in similar areas with Mount getting a bit more forward than the other two and Jorginho slightly behind the other 2. When Kovacic came on for Mount, it was even more of a "flat 3" in the midfield.

There were phases when all of Chelsea could push up very far because West Ham basically begged them to do so, that would skew any heat map. Jorginho was almost straight up a 'rover' 5-10 yards in front of the back four for the parts of the match where West Ham showed some initiative. That's as close as you can get to a strict interpretation of a 6.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
There were phases when all of Chelsea could push up very far because West Ham basically begged them to do so, that would skew any heat map. Jorginho was almost straight up a 'rover' 5-10 yards in front of the back four for the parts of the match where West Ham showed some initiative. That's as close as you can get to a strict interpretation of a 6.
I agree he mostly stayed in the hole, that has always been his style of play, but he also roamed far more than he traditionally would in his regista role as he's expected to be much more mobile by Lampard. In fact he played in the way yesterday that he should be if he wants to get more minutes, a way he hasn't always done before as he often reverts to being very static. I'm even fine conceding that Jorginho was close enough to call him a #6, or a modified #6, but this discussion was really about Mount being labeled as a #10 despite not playing as one.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hadn't seen this until now as I was catching up on some of the games.

Fan's video of Nicolas Pepe's attempted shot vs Everton is so funny it's gone viral

I know some people think Pepe is better than Mane but woof. The reviews are not glowing. He did score from the penalty spot in a game where he was rubbish though.

He wasn't rubbish, he was average. I saw a twitter stat from Squawka or whatever it's called that mentioned Willian did not complete a successful cross, shot on net, complete a take-on, make a successful tackle, or win any of his duels against Everton.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Good for United to get back into the top 5, but their form has been against hardly anything difficult. Wins against West Ham, Soton, Blades, and Leeds are not something of an "accomplishment". Especially when they got their arse handed to them by PSG and Leipzig, while they dropped points at home against Citeh.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Good for United to get back into the top 5, but their form has been against hardly anything difficult. Wins against West Ham, Soton, Blades, and Leeds are not something of an "accomplishment". Especially when they got their arse handed to them by PSG and Leipzig, while they dropped points at home against Citeh.
At least we can actually beat those teams :dunno:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Should check where Soton and West Ham are in the table

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
At least we weren’t down 3 minutes in against City.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Ceballos pulling out all the tricks today
Overshot passes , spinning around, keeping the ball between his legs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad