GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly 12)

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If Arsenal sacks Arteta, why would any manager be convinced that they’ll be given time after Emery and Arteta were given 30 months combined? It will take one manager longer than that to rebuild Arsenal.

They have a lot of money, and they're going to have to sack him so that shouldn't really be a factor anyway. They are rapidly headed towards "there is no other choice" territory.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Wonder if they have their eyes on Patrick Vieira after he was sacked a few days ago.

Is that really much different from appointing Arteta? Vieira has a bit more experience but surely the club must learn from their mistakes?

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
If Arsenal sacks Arteta, why would any manager be convinced that they’ll be given time after Emery and Arteta were given 30 months combined? It will take one manager longer than that to rebuild Arsenal.

Emery and Arteta are both unbelievably shit. You are basically guaranteed to do better. Emery couldn’t speak basic english, Arteta has never managed before. As long as you can better that and understand that you need to play forwards through the middle Arsenal will do much better than under Emery and Arteta, which will lead to more time. Obviously, Emery wasn’t nearly as bad, he finished fifth and made the UEL final in his only full season. Managers realise they will do better without much difficulty and junp on the opportunity to manage one of footballs biggest clubs, I think.

Reactions: kyle evs48

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Julian Nagelsmann, Massimiliano Allegri, Ralph Hassenhuttl, Marcelo Bielsa, Marco Rose, Mauricio Pochettino, Gian Piero Gasperini, Carlo Ancelotti are all good long term solutions.

To be honest I would like Wenger to come in as interim now. But any manager who counterpressed, played fast paced attacking football with players in between the lines and coached a fluid offense would do just fine.

Arteta came to the club with this sort of philosophical football background and training. Who’s to say that any other manager with a similar approach wouldn’t also feel the need to adapt to a more cautious approach as he has felt he had to?

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Haha no one said most of those listed were grounded in reality or any chance of happening.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Haha no one said most of those listed were grounded in reality or any chance of happening.

More realistic than any of them:

47949940_303.jpg

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Blanc would take the job and it would take 3 weeks before the team plays a totally different style.
But Arsenal won't do it. They'd rather hire Vieira.

Let me tell you about Vieira : you'll get some defensive bunkering that STILL fails to bunker down. It's Arteta Part II. No scoring except for a single player offensive prowess (Gouiri at Nice). He has zero offensive scheme.

Hiring Arteta was stupid. How many rookie coaches do great with a big club? Guardiola and? That's about it. And even then Guardiola learnt the ropes in lower levels and had an allstar team to play with.
In France, Julien Stephan (Rennes) is a bright young coach. But it'll take time before he figures everything out.

Anyway, among L1 names, Blanc is the obvious one (Nice are interested, Nantes as well) but hasn't coached in years and will be without his historical assistant (Gasset, now Bordeaux coach). Galtier is the big one, but he won't leave Lille mid-season. Tuchel can go, but United are after him and again, won't leave mid-season unless fired. Then there are a couple of obscure coaches to main media (Lens, Brest) who play nice football, but no way will Arsenal even look at them.

Frankly to me in France, Blanc is the best choice. He plays possession football, he took a Bordeaux team to L1 win, CL 1/4, top of their CL group with Juve and Bayern (unbeaten with 5 wins and 1 tie) with champagne football. Took PSG and never lost before a 1/4 final (twice lost on away goals) while setting every single L1 record and winning the treble 3 straight years (never happened before or after). This guy would be perfect.

But I'm guessing he's not a smart enough hire for Arsenal.

Reactions: S E P H and AB13

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Yeah Blanc would absolutely transform Arsenal. No reason for him to not accept an offer either.

Reactions: S E P H

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
According to José's post-match interview, he thought the team looked too satisfied with the one-goal lead and tried talking some sense into them at half time. Doesn't seem like he was happy at all with all the possession Palace got in the game.

Yeah. He was very open about how he tactically wanted to play in the 2nd - and that the players failed.

Obviously Mourinho has a responsibility for getting the players to do what they are/were supposed to do - but the argument that this was "Mourinho-ball" is just so lazy.

Again I can't help being extremely impressed by how balanced and open he is. Clearly he has to be disappointed after that, but no sign of any passive-aggressive comments or moaning - as is his natural tendency (at least before Spurs). Please let it last. I am not naïve enough not to see if the bubble bursts this will quickly go downhill. Klopp can get away with being moody for a spell, but Mourinho has used up all that goodwill a long time ago.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I mean Blanc has been the clear choice since Wenger was in his final stretch. Twice now I haven't understood why he wasn't brought in, to the extent that I'm now sceptical they would even consider it, although I have no clue as to why not.

Reactions: AB13

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Blanc is an interesting one. One would think he would have solid offers right, left and center? I get the old connection, but why would anyone hire Koeman over Blanc? Just as an example.

I'm not sure what I would have done if I were Arsenal now. Reminds me a bit of AVB at Spurs. Completely lost, but he was sacked for Sherwood to get the job. In terms of results Sherwood actually delivered, but he was then sacked in the summer (which I was completely fine with). I'm not sure what Sherwood could have done to have kept the job. The season was ruined anyway so why not give AVB the full season?

If Arsenal can get Blanc I would have made the change, but I could also see the point of waiting until the summer. I have no doubt that Arsenal will be a force again, but I think that squad would benefit from a complete clear out. If it takes 2-3 years to "rebuild" then players like Aubameyang would be too old to realistically lead the team to anything.

I guess the best they could do would be to give it to Blanc and tell him to spend the rest of the year giving young players experience.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Of course he would. Blanc made him a successful CB.

He came to PSG for a record fee for a defender. He already had the pedigree.

I recall that their relationship wasn't great at least. He refused to be substituted for example.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He came to PSG for a record fee for a defender. He already had the pedigree.

I recall that their relationship wasn't great at least. He refused to be substituted for example.
He came to PSG because Mourinho didn't want him. And Mou ended up playing him at DM.

And please stop with trying to make some things up. Luiz once was mad at being subed. He had a talk with Blanc the next day and things got fixed. That happens everywhere.
When asked about Blanc, David Luiz said he was a great coach and a great person.
And frankly, Blanc made him the best CB he ever was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad