GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 11

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
This is one of the reasons why I hate VAR. I believe refs are reffing the game differently because of VAR.

From the angles we saw that was obviously not clear and obvious. Even if 51% seems to be clear and obvious so...

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Regarding Kane's tunneling fouls, I agree that they are pretty nasty and that he should cut that out. Hopefully the league cracks down on it, although I still think it will be hard for the referee to judge whether it is tunneling or not in a lot of cases.

From some of the clips I've seen, he scouts the opposing player out first then puts his body in front as they are landing. So I think in that sense it's not as difficult to judge his intent. But as you say, he should cut it out. Someone can really get hurt by landing on their head or neck.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That looked outside the box to me. Poor BHA can't catch a break.

This is where contact was initiated, and Walker-Peters lunges into the box:

upload_2020-12-7_16-55-42.png

Referee's arc for the free kick was spot on.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Where is it stated in the rules that a foul happens when contact is initiated?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
As far as I know this is the only thing related to how to judge when a foul happens:

"If a defender starts holding an attacker outside the penalty area and continues holding inside the penalty area, the referee must award a penalty kick."

That specifically says holding, but I'm not sure why that shouldn't also apply for situations like tonight.

I seriously question the use of VAR here. I cannot see how the penalty can be given by VAR, but I do believe it was the correct decision.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Where is it stated in the rules that a foul happens when contact is initiated?
Law 14 - The Penalty Kick
A penalty kick is awarded if a player commits a direct free kick offence inside their penalty area or off the field as part of play as outlined in Laws 12 and 13.

As far as I know this is the only thing related to how to judge when a foul happens:

"If a defender starts holding an attacker outside the penalty area and continues holding inside the penalty area, the referee must award a penalty kick."

That specifically says holding, but I'm not sure why that shouldn't also apply for situations like tonight.

I seriously question the use of VAR here. I cannot see how the penalty can be given by VAR, but I do believe it was the correct decision.
It specifically says holding because you could grab someone outside the box but not take them down and have them continue to run into the box before it becomes a clear foul. I don't think that is applicable in this situation since it was a tackle/bodycheck outside the box, it wasn't a continuous foul from outside to inside the box.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
What happens if you push a player (which one can argue happens here) - the player continues to move forward, but as he stumbles over he gets tackled (which you can also argue happens here). Do you then give the first foul which is the push or the second?

To me this idea of "initiating contact" is some sort of myth created by fans. I might be wrong, but if that was the criteria why isn't it stated like that in the rules?

Not that I know what kind of evaluate the VAR room made. Which makes it even more troublesome. And not that I'm an expert on the rules, but when I coached I had to take courses in reffing so I'm not completely blank. Even reffed some games for fun.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Feels like Brighton win on xG every game yet they still always lose

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If it is a single action (eg, trip, hip check, leg kick, foot clip, etc.) then the foul occurs where the contact first happened. If it is a continual action (ie, holding) then it occurs where you stop the infringing behavior, hence why the rules mention a hold continuing into the box. If it is multiple independent actions (eg, you try to trip with one leg but only knock him off balance so swing back around with the other to finish the takedown), then the referee could play advantage on the first action and award a foul for the second which would put the spot at the point of second contact.

Basing it only on the pictures in here, it looks like a single action and thus awarding a pen looks wrong, but that's hard to say without video.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If it is a single action (eg, trip, hip check, leg kick, foot clip, etc.) then the foul occurs where the contact first happened. If it is a continual action (ie, holding) then it occurs where you stop the infringing behavior, hence why the rules mention a hold continuing into the box. If it is multiple independent actions (eg, you try to trip with one leg but only knock him off balance so swing back around with the other to finish the takedown), then the referee could play advantage on the first action and award a foul for the second which would put the spot at the point of second contact.

Basing it only on the pictures in here, it looks like a single action and thus awarding a pen looks wrong, but that's hard to say without video.
Well said, and this is my understanding.

In this case it was a single action outside the box and momentum carried them into the box.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Is there a sport where video review is actually done competently and doesn't somehow make the call worse?

Basketball, American football, hockey, baseball, soccer - all have ridiculously incompetent video reviewing.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don't see how you can divide "actions" that easily.

In this case it looks to me like KWP first is pushed in the back - which I think is clearly outside - then they tangle their feet - which I do believe is inside the box.

Feel sorry for Brighton though. As stated earlier I can't see how VAR can give that unless they got video from angles we haven't seen.

Every football fan would have accepted that not being a penalty. Most probably would have swallowed the decision if the ref had given it as a penalty in real time as well (maybe if we take away VAR players and pundits will be more respectful towards refs for a couple of years?).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad