GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 11

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Considering that Fabinho would now be my second CB on the team sheet, yeah. I would try to keep Gini now as we have one less midfielder.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I’m not in the pay him whatever he wants. Clubs rightly do have a salary structure. As good as he is, you don’t mess that up. I don’t know how far they’re off, or if it’s a term thing, or maybe he really is tired of being here. But at some point everyone can be replaced. It might mean they have to go out and get a midfielder. I trust they can get someone who can do a lot of what he does for less and get a good 4-5 seasons out of him. Maybe that’s Bissouma, maybe someone else. Gini is a physical freak, and he’s had a ton of mileage on his body, and at some point that could break down. I rather not be holding the bag. Because that will hinder some things they want to do. If you look at some of the midfield, they need a younger body or two, and while Jones is a good talent, I don’t know if he’s made to run the miles Hendo, Gini and even Milner have put in.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Considering that Fabinho would now be my second CB on the team sheet, yeah. I would try to keep Gini now as we have one less midfielder.
That’s what it comes down to for me.

I was in the let Gini walk camp before the season started but not anymore.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It’s easier said than done with contracts. We don’t know if he feels it’s time to move on. We saw that with Thiago. Maybe he wants to know he’s a starter, as Klopp hasn’t always seen that. Maybe he is being offered a giant contract. His agent wouldn’t be worth his money if he didn’t have an idea what was out there. It will be whatever it is.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
That’s my thing. This club and the management wouldn’t let it get to this stage if he was staying. His statements make it really seem like he’s set on leaving.
Under these circumstances I’m ok with eating a Bosman on this one.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don’t think it’s the best practice for the club. But with the depth needed this year, and the belief that they can get value in the market, and develop players, I think they will be ok. Thiago if healthy is a world class player they got for peanuts. Jones looks to be the goods. I think they’re good enough to go get a midfielder who can be as good as Gini.

on a different note, I appreciate the work Adrian has done. I think he’s a good pro, he had a few key moments last season, and from all accounts he’s a good player to have in the room, but he never plays again. The Irish kid is good enough. Though admittedly, I would be tempted to cash in this summer if someone came calling. I think backup keepers are a dime a dozen, but if this kid is good enough to start, his value is in moving him on, not letting him sit.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It’s easier said than done with contracts. We don’t know if he feels it’s time to move on. We saw that with Thiago. Maybe he wants to know he’s a starter, as Klopp hasn’t always seen that. Maybe he is being offered a giant contract. His agent wouldn’t be worth his money if he didn’t have an idea what was out there. It will be whatever it is.
I think there are probably 2 things at play. 1) he wants a retirement contract that reflects how good he is right now, and that's going to be tough for any team because of his mileage and age despite being a World Class midfielder and likely to be one for at least another year or two. 2) LFC are probably looking at easing him into a more rotational role, taking away his minutes as they try to bring more minutes for others they're easing into the team which probably doesn't sit well with him being as competitive as he is.

It sucks that he is likely walking (though never say never) because he's still our best and most relied on midfielder (ignoring Thiago as he's played...2 games? and has a bad track record of injuries), but I also want him to get the best contract possible and get to play as much as he wants as his career winds down. He's given Liverpool everything, has been an integral part of this historic team and will go down as a legend for me (and many others, even if it took a long time for people to warm up to just how good he's been for Liverpool).

Just happy to see him have games like this and still give 100% even if he's going to run his contract down. Seems like an incredible person off the field, too (though this is always hard to really know).

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Funny how Wijnaldum and Sissoko have become so important for two of the better teams in the world - bought from a relegated Newcastle.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Son has an xG of 3.88, but has 10 goals this season. Don't know how sustainable that is going to be, but he's basically winning Spurs games by himself due to his incredible efficiency in scoring from less than half chances. We will see, he is such a good finisher that he might keep it up, but it is a bit reminicent of Aubameyang for Arsenal last season.

Hopefully his efficency drops back to normal levels soon.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I'm all for giving coaches a chance, but at this point you gotta figure Arteta's used up all his losses and has to go on a convincing extended win streak to keep his job

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Funny how Wijnaldum and Sissoko have become so important for two of the better teams in the world - bought from a relegated Newcastle.

I mean, it's not all that surprising. Newcastle's problem has never exactly been managing to acquire good players

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I'm all for giving coaches a chance, but at this point you gotta figure Arteta's used up all his losses and has to go on a convincing extended win streak to keep his job

People don't seem to realise that the main problem at arsenal, identical to as it was under Emery is our refusal to pass the ball forwards through the middle. Top level coaches spend a good 50-60% of the week working on this and we completely refuse to do so. It's not a simple solution because first you have to make the decision and then you have to start working on it which takes time. Talked about it for a long time and I know I'm right.

Things that don't solve the problem:
- time
- Creative players from the transfer market
- Arteta, barring a ridiculously unlikely change in tactics
Things that do:
- a new coach

Last edited:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Son has an xG of 3.88, but has 10 goals this season. Don't know how sustainable that is going to be, but he's basically winning Spurs games by himself due to his incredible efficiency in scoring from less than half chances. We will see, he is such a good finisher that he might keep it up, but it is a bit reminicent of Aubameyang for Arsenal last season.

Hopefully his efficency drops back to normal levels soon.

His shot yesterday is a good example. Even with zero pressure on the ball, that’s an incredibly low percentage shot. He probably doesn’t score that more than once or twice every 20 attempts.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So when did Kane become a dirty player?
Always has been and Mourinho, like he does with all his forwards, made it worse. With Kane he could not have asked for a better striker either because he is a white, English player, so Jose knows the FA, and (especially) the media, will let him get away by with murder. Diving, fouling, etc, Kane is Teflon.

Of course, in any sport the stars of the league get the benefit of the doubt on calls at times, but Kane benefits from this the most. Jose ha always told his forwards to get away with fouls especially early in games because he knows forwards are more likely to get away with the such. It’s the dark arts but it’s effective and it works

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Son has a history of beating the xG. But obviously he will slow down - Son is not scoring a goal a game for a full season.

Not necessarily that worried in terms of goals. Kane is more or less on his xG - which he also beats every season. Then you got players like Bergwijn, Bale, Lo Celso etc. who usually will score some - Bergwijn especially is a very decent finisher (Bale I couldn't really say - depends on which Bale shows up).

More worried about overall play. Spurs are not going to sustain this "form" (which is by no means spectacular - taking 2.18 points per game over 11 games) unless they start to play better with the ball.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad