GWT: PL Matchweek Catch-Up into (mostly) MW18 & MW19

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
A stat cannot be good or bad - it is just the numbers.

Or I change my mind. It is a very bad stat and absolutely meaningless unless you can actually show that a) any of those penalties were at least questionable b) that they didn't deserve 6 or more c) that even if a) is true that PT does not have any history of giving questionable penalties to anyone

But just the numbers. A bit like moaning with a smile - then it isn't really moaning in Klopp-land.

Not that I mind stats at all, but this is just boring. And they cannot be discussed as they are "just the numbers" without any sort of meaning.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Or I change my mind. It is a very bad stat and absolutely meaningless unless you can actually show that a) any of those penalties were at least questionable b) that they didn't deserve 6 or more c) that even if a) is true that PT does not have any history of giving questionable penalties to anyone

But just the numbers. A bit like moaning with a smile - then it isn't really moaning in Klopp-land.

Not that I mind stats at all, but this is just boring. And they cannot be discussed as they are "just the numbers" without any sort of meaning.
I like stats and use them all the time, and you're absolutely right about this. Stats are not good or bad themselves, you need to put them into context to determine whether it is a "bad" stat or not. It's a misuse to just post raw numbers without context and to jump to conclusions based on them, it's why most "advanced" stats you see try and use context or comparisons of some kind to give them meaning.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town

You are correct. Stats without context are just numbers.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Sheffield United must win tonight!.
45 minutes left, Newcastle player gets a red card
The shots are already 10-3 with 62-38 ball possession
They have been the better team so far

If they don't win this match....
1bzri6.gif

gnr25

May 22, 2008
Ottawa
So what would have been a red card offence is not penalized because of an earlier foul (determined after the fact).
There were no goals scored.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
What an atrocious call.
I mean, it's the right call. If you go into a challenge and it results in your studs going into someone's leg, it's going to be a foul. To see if it's a DOGSO, you have to know if the goal would stand. It wouldn't because of a foul in the buildup.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean, it's the right call. If you go into a challenge and it results in your studs going into someone's leg, it's going to be a foul. To see if it's a DOGSO, you have to know if the goal would stand. It wouldn't because of a foul in the buildup.
You can only go back if it's a red card offense if I'm not mistaken. Which means either Shaw should be off or we should've gotten the free kick off the counter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad