PL Matchweek 9

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
This is your post that kicked off this conversation. Putting "funny how" in there doesn't give you an out for tossing out something that's untrue. It's great that you're backing away from it now or trying to claim you meant something else, but this is what you claimed.

No one denies that Spurs have been the most consistent team over the last few seasons though, they have that one locked down.

1. Not backing away from anything.
2. What part is not true?

Feels a bit like discussing with Trump on Twitter this. Being told by someone what I really meant instead of trying to understand what I really meant. Posting on message boards must me rewarding for you.

So good day Donald.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's pretty easy really. :
You said : "Funny how both Leicester and Chelsea overachieve to keep Spurs from the title for then to underachieve the year after"
The Leicester year, Arsenal was still above Spurs so them overachieving didn't keep the Spurs from the title. Arsenal maybe, but not Spurs.
The Chelsea year, even if Chelsea had played how you'd call "achieving according to their talents", the 13 point differential means Spurs likely wouldn't have been champs either.

So you can try to pin on miracles the reason why Spurs weren't champs. But nobody's fooled.

Reactions: Virtanen18

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
1. Not backing away from anything.
2. What part is not true?

Feels a bit like discussing with Trump on Twitter this. Being told by someone what I really meant instead of trying to understand what I really meant. Posting on message boards must me rewarding for you.

So good day Donald.
You're being ridiculous. :laugh:

It's untrue that Spurs were kept from the title because Leicester and Chelsea overachieved. If they missed out by a couple points you could probably argue this, but they missed by 11 and 13 points. The truth is they didn't win the title because they weren't good enough and they weren't the best team in either of those years. They weren't even 2nd best the one year.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The second half was better, but still not great.

I missed about 15 mins here and there, but from what I saw we only had two actual dangerous chances. One was a header that was saved and one was the goal. That’s simply not good enough against Huddersfield and I don’t care how many people they have behind the ball or what our injuries are. Almost every player in the United starting XI is better than every Huddersfield player, there’s no excuse to lose that game.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Merino > Mourinho

(Today at least.)

(Different games but I don't care!)

Given the results involving the expected strugglers today, failure to beat Palace would have amounted to a particularly unwelcome setback.

It's especially nice to beat Palace when taking account of the pro-Ashley drivel being spouted by their attention-seeking former owner.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Leicester wins at Liberty Stadium, beating Swansea 2 - 1. Moves them clear of Relegation Zone.

They need Vardy or Slimani to start finding the net regularly.....

Last edited:

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Given the results involving the expected strugglers today, failure to beat Palace would have amounted to a particularly unwelcome setback.

It's especially nice to beat Palace when taking account of the pro-Ashley drivel being spouted by their attention-seeking former owner.

I actually almost called in on Friday when he was on talksport. The whole "big club" thing is a bunch of, um, measuring of certain male anatomy. It's a rather stupid discussion but there is typically always one club involved with whether or not they are.

I wonder what his twitter mentions have looked like today.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
Not to take the piss, but I was left cold by that Boufal goal. Seemed like fresh legs taking advantage of a worn out defense.:dunno:

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I actually almost called in on Friday when he was on talksport. The whole "big club" thing is a bunch of, um, measuring of certain male anatomy. It's a rather stupid discussion but there is typically always one club involved with whether or not they are.

I wonder what his twitter mentions have looked like today.

Agreed about the 'big club' point.

If NUFC is a big club, they're a big club that hasn't won a major trophy since 1969, and hasn't played in Europe since 2013. It's the equivalent to holding the title of Duke, but driving around in a Lada because your bank account is empty.

If NUFC isn't a big club, they're a not big club that counts among the top ten English clubs for league titles won, and major trophies won. They're one of the small number of English teams to have won a European trophy, and the even smaller group of English clubs never to have played outside the top two divisions of the league. And even when being run into the ground by an owner whose toxicity shrinks their commercial revenue during a footballing economic boom, who costs them millions in league position prize money, they can place seventh or eighth in the EPL for turnover.

So big. medium, or otherwise, Newcastle United is a club with significant potential, assuming one accepts that there generally exists a correlation between a club's budget and its results.

It's interesting to note Simon Jordan was linked with a takeover at Coventry City at the year's beginning, only to cry off alleging an overly-high price being demanded by the owners. You may have seen Michael Martin, ex-editor of True Faith, speculating that if Ashley sells NUFC, it's because he intends to remain in football but try his hand at another club. Martin suggested we look out for Ashley buying Palace, and installing Jordan as chairman.

Whatever, it's vexing to see Jordan belittling NUFC with the apparent intention of raising his profile ahead of a return to the game.

Lest we forget, when he ran Palace he was quick to push himself into the public eye, but he scurried off in 2010 having left the club in administration. A pity that the media indulges a man whose record implies fly-by-night incompetence rather than understanding.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
These Arsenal players reactions are amazing. Every missed pass and shot there’s several players throwing tantrums. Throwing their hands in the air, whining and pouting.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Another WTF lineup from Poch. But seeing how well it went last game i should maybe give him the benefit of the doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad